Sunroof delete and headroom for the tall folks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
To prove the unsurprising point that tastes differ, I find the 991 sunroof lines far less attractive than a "regular" sunroof cutlines. This only added to my already made decision to check the sunroof delete box. I like the look of the contiguous roof panel much better.

For the record. The sunroof is an option on US 991 models. It is no longer a standard feature and in fact hasn't been since the introduction of the 997.2 models a few years ago. There is nothing to "uncheck" on the configurator. So if you don't want it don't check/choose it.

Phew!

Last edited by Haku; 12-07-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 AM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kitw
The 991's sunroof opens OVER the car and actually has more headroom than the previous cars. I fit much better in my 991 than my 2 997s, etc.

That said, my cabriolet has a ton more headroom than my sunroofed coupe, (with the top up) so I suspect that a sunroof-less car will have nearly as much as a cab. There are virtually no sunroof delete in the US, I've seen a couple but not that many. A Cab, in theory, should give you an idea of how much more room there is.
For the OP, don't forget that the cab gives you the potential for unlimited headroom! Although at 6' 7", I wonder if wind buffeting becomes worse. I'm 6' 3" and have no issues with headroom with the cabriolet top closed.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jnscolo
For the OP, don't forget that the cab gives you the potential for unlimited headroom! Although at 6' 7", I wonder if wind buffeting becomes worse. I'm 6' 3" and have no issues with headroom with the cabriolet top closed.
I think this man could use at least a sunroof, or a softtop

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I think this man could use at least a sunroof, or a softtop
http://youtu.be/IdnyoeNRV4c

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Love those old Fiats! Reminds me of the way I had to get into my Lotus Elise when the roof was on.

Last edited by lrattner; 12-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
OP: I am 6'5" (196cm) and have more headroom with the sunroof than in any rental car I've been in the past years. This is with the 18-way seats. Maybe they go lower than others?

But point well taken with the sunroof using up precious headroom. I may regret it when I take the car to the track in January and the helmet rubs against the ceiling... But then again, being in CA having the sunroof is just great year-round.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM
sgroer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chancludo
OP: I am 6'5" (196cm) and have more headroom with the sunroof than in any rental car I've been in the past years. This is with the 18-way seats. Maybe they go lower than others?

But point well taken with the sunroof using up precious headroom. I may regret it when I take the car to the track in January and the helmet rubs against the ceiling... But then again, being in CA having the sunroof is just great year-round.
Surprising - I only looked at the 14 way seats. I am getting close to an order and will figure it out. I'd prefer to have sunroof, but OK without it. I have a jacked up wrangler Unlimited with half doors for the really nice days!

Thanks for the tip . I'll give the 18 way seats a try.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
My 997.2 Targa 4S had more head room then my 991 with sunroof. A person could actually sit in the back for a short trip. The 991 is impossible because of the indent to accommodate the sunroof inside the cabin.....

Old 12-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m5_2010
My 997.2 Targa 4S had more head room then my 991 with sunroof. A person could actually sit in the back for a short trip. The 991 is impossible because of the indent to accommodate the sunroof inside the cabin.....
"Impossible"? So I guess my 5 and 9 year old nephews must have been a mirage when they came on a long trip with us and sat in the back. But then again... maybe they're not persons!

Yes I am being sarcastic and it's mainly because blanket statements like yours only go and nullify the point that you first made. That the 4s targa had more headroom.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 AM
studlee is infamous around these parts
suzy...don't forget they leak, and how many times have ppl left it cracked open while it is parked and then it rained. i'm with you..i don't like sunroofs.

Originally Posted by Suzy991
There's always less headroom in a sunroof equipped car. No matter what car it is. That's not really news IMO.
On the other hand, it's good the OP points this out for people that aren't aware of it. For me, it never is a problem since I'm only 5'4"

I don't like sunroofs anyways... They always rattle, they ruin the cars design and I don't see the point of having a sunroof in a sportscar. Glad that they are not a standard feature in Europe.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
It really depends on the climate you're in. I didn't have sunroofs when I lived in Europe, but now that I'm in California, having one makes a huge difference in the summer.

I don't understand the "ruin the car's design" comment. It seems quite a few feel that way. But when closed it's really just an additional line on the roof and on the 991 at least looks more like a Targa panel that can be removed. If at all I'd say it looks better (see my comment here). But it's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chancludo
It really depends on the climate you're in. I didn't have sunroofs when I lived in Europe, but now that I'm in California, having one makes a huge difference in the summer. I don't understand the "ruin the car's design" comment. It seems quite a few feel that way. But when closed it's really just an additional line on the roof and on the 991 at least looks more like a Targa panel that can be removed. If at all I'd say it looks better (see my comment here). But it's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
I was referring to sunroofs in general I agree that the 991 sunroof distracts less from the design than most sunroofs. It also depends on the color of course. My SQ5 has a large panoramic roof (dealercar, so didn't have a choice), but the car is black, so that is less of a problem. On a white car it would have been a problem and I probably wouldn't have bought the car at all.

But like you said... Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Suzy991 (iOS app)