Sunroof delete and headroom for the tall folks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 AM
sgroer is infamous around these parts
Sunroof delete and headroom for the tall folks

Hi All,
As I get closer to the day I order my 991, I wanted to put this out there because I couldn't find a definitive statement on it on any forums. There was one thread on it but it diverged quickly from the original question.

I am 6'7" and had been considering a 991 until I drove one with the sunroof and my head grazed behind the sunroof opening. There is a hump there, presumably for the sunroof mechanics.

On a whim, I stopped by a local dealer and sat in a 4S without the sunroof. The difference was incredible. Without the sunroof, you easily gain 1.5-2 inches across the board, and even more behind where the sunroof opening would be.

I know many people believe that the sunroof doesn't eat up much headroom since it opens to the outside, but I can confirm that is absolutely not true. Without the the sunroof, I am extremely comfortable in the car. It was a very happy moment as the 991 is the car I want, and now feel I can order it with no worries!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
That's something I didn't know and I never paid much attention to it as I'm only 5'10".
Thank you for the post SG.
I would have thought that with the redesigned sunroof in the 991's that open up and over, headroom would not have been compromised. I guess that's not the case.
Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by Haku; 12-06-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Dude, come on, at 6'7" you are not exactly of average height ! I'm 6'0" and I can use a ladder to reach the sunroof !

Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
You might be lucky you find the sunroof interior roofline confining and don't get it. I always felt that I never really got much value from a sunroof and the downside was the possibility of rattles and leaks. But, whatever floats your boat...

Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
There's always less headroom in a sunroof equipped car. No matter what car it is. That's not really news IMO.
On the other hand, it's good the OP points this out for people that aren't aware of it. For me, it never is a problem since I'm only 5'4"

I don't like sunroofs anyways... They always rattle, they ruin the cars design and I don't see the point of having a sunroof in a sportscar. Glad that they are not a standard feature in Europe.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Suzy991

I don't like sunroofs anyways... They always rattle, they ruin the cars design and I don't see the point of having a sunroof in a sportscar. Glad that they are not a standard feature in Europe.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
I've had four 911's with sunroofs and have not had ANY problems with them. So "ALWAYS" is not quite correct. For me lots of use for a sunroof.... light, air, modest breeze to name but a few benefits. Btw, they are not a standard feature on the 991 in the US either.

Btw, off topic but I noticed that the 991 4S, and TT are now off your sig. All cancelled?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Haku
I've had four 911's with sunroofs and have not had ANY problems with them. So "ALWAYS" is not quite correct. For me lots of use for a sunroof.... light, air, modest breeze to name but a few benefits. Btw, they are not a standard feature on the 991 in the US either. Btw, off topic but I noticed that the 991 4S, and TT are now off your sig. All cancelled?
To keep this thread on-topic I'll send you a PM about that last question

BTW... You're right that they don't rattle always. My SQ5 has a panoramic roof (was a demo-car, so didn't have much choice), but have to say it hasn't rattled ever. But I also don't use it, so I would personally never check that box. OTOH, I can definitely see why people love sunroofs. It's good to have the choice.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
The 991's sunroof opens OVER the car and actually has more headroom than the previous cars. I fit much better in my 991 than my 2 997s, etc.

That said, my cabriolet has a ton more headroom than my sunroofed coupe, (with the top up) so I suspect that a sunroof-less car will have nearly as much as a cab. There are virtually no sunroof delete in the US, I've seen a couple but not that many. A Cab, in theory, should give you an idea of how much more room there is.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I love the glass sunroof in my TTS because the car interior is so much brighter and airy feeling with it even with the glass roof closed, but the sunshade open. That is an important feature to me, but get what you want. The 991 is a great car with or without a sunroof.

Another thing that may have affected your experience, do you know where the seats were in regards to their up/down positioning? I easily have 2-3" (guess) of vertical travel with the 18 way seats. Maybe the first 991 you sat in had the seats higher up than the second one you tried out? Even the front/back positioning of the seat back could have affected where your head ended up.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 12-06-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
To address Suzy's point regarding "ruining the car's design," that shouldn't be a problem on the 991. I also prefer the clean lines of non-sunroof panel, but the 991 sunroof is literally the entire roof panel. It doesn't change the look as much as other sunroof-optioned cars.

White 991 has no sunroof, blue 991 has it. Not much of a difference other than the horizontal panel(s).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	porsche-pila.jpg
Views:	2671
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	309042  
Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Founder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
To address Suzy's point regarding "ruining the car's design," that shouldn't be a problem on the 991. I also prefer the clean lines of non-sunroof panel, but the 991 sunroof is literally the entire roof panel. It doesn't change the look as much as other sunroof-optioned cars.

White 991 has no sunroof, blue 991 has it. Not much of a difference other than the horizontal panel(s).

The white one looks amazing....clean roof + euro rear bumper retrofit + no satellite radio wart

Last edited by Founder; 12-07-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
To address Suzy's point regarding "ruining the car's design," that shouldn't be a problem on the 991. I also prefer the clean lines of non-sunroof panel, but the 991 sunroof is literally the entire roof panel. It doesn't change the look as much as other sunroof-optioned cars. White 991 has no sunroof, blue 991 has it. Not much of a difference other than the horizontal panel(s).
Those lines are exactly what I mean. I don't like them. You are right that it is better than on most other cars though, but still I prefer a roof without those lines.
Of course it also depends on the color. On a black car, the lines are hardly visible.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 12-07-2013, 05:27 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Just an correction about US cars with "standard" sunroof"- the 2005 GT3 came standard with the sunroof. There was quite a clamor at the time because no one buying a GT3 wanted it.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
To prove the unsurprising point that tastes differ, I find the 991 sunroof lines far less attractive than a "regular" sunroof cutlines. This only added to my already made decision to check the sunroof delete box. I like the look of the contiguous roof panel much better.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
It's a personal choice. I won't take a car without sunroof !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof delete and headroom for the tall folks