clear side marker install admissions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM
knurly is infamous around these parts
clear side marker install admissions?

Well, after seeing all the cool clear side marker installs I had to do it too.

Ordered through Suncoast Motorsports. After reading all the posts on installation tips and watching the Suncoast video, I just did the install.

Is anyone else willing to admit they cracked their old side marker lens while pulling them off? The new one went on OK, but the original ones were very tight. I cracked one of them pulling it off.

The guy in the install video makes it look very easy. I suspect those particular lenses were pulled on/off a few times to "loosen them up".

One last thought: the Suncoast supplied parts don't appear to be Porsche OEM. Besides the construction being quite different - including being a much thicker in profile height - every Porsche part I've ever seen has their unique numbering system stamped on it. These parts didn't have that.

No complaints really. The new lenses look good (bling!), appear to be solidly constructed, and are reasonably priced.

I appreciate the information shared in this community, so just wanted to contribute back. I consider myself reasonably adept at mechanical skills, but found the install wasn't as easy as the video suggests.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4279.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	309136   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4281.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	309137  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:30 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know about the 991, but on the 997, you are not supposed to just pull the side markers out. Most people do it that way, but you are supposed to release the spring clip before pulling the side marker out. On the 997, there is a small plug just inside the wheel well that can be removed to access the spring. Depress it with a screwdriver blade and the spring will release and the side marker comes out easily. You can also push on the side marker from the front of it toward the back and that will release the spring also.

Again, not sure on the 991, but my guess is that it is similar. Most people do just yank them out, but not the best way. Did you read the instructions in your owners manual? Instructions should be in there on how to replace the bulb and you have to remove the side marker to do that, assuming it is the same as a 997.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm half way through reading the manual - didn't see that section yet. Looked just now but don't see a section for replacing the side lights. Headlights are described on page 266, but it says "Have defective LEDs and bulbs replaced at an authorized Porsche dealer". It then goes on to only talk about replacing headlights.

I could feel a circular pattern you are talking about on the inside of the wheel well that probably is for screwdriver access to the spring clip, but I didn't punch that out. Didn't want to create a perforation in the wheel well.

I guess I was seduced by how easy the video made it look...

Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 PM
bboatman has a spectacular aura aboutbboatman has a spectacular aura about
Lol I totally cracked off the tab on the driver side but the passenger side was much better.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Clear corners were also my first mod! The Suncoast video made it look much easier than it actually was. I was scared sh*tless when I finally pried the first marker off, but there was no damage at all. It just took a ton of pulling and, well, more pulling. Thankfully, I didn't crack anything.

Car looks gorgeous.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Same feeling here - until I reflected on how worthless the old markers are. One of the forum posts I read (while studying up) noted how many of the amber markers there must be laying around by now.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Clear corners were also my first mod! The Suncoast video made it look much easier than it actually was. I was scared sh*tless when I finally pried the first marker off
I wholeheartedly agree. Ha!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
BlackSpeed is infamous around these partsBlackSpeed is infamous around these parts
Didn't break my amber ones, but I was very careful and even taped around the area before I started. My clear ones came from my dealer and are oem. The price was $70 and they got them the next day after ordering.

I slid the marker toward the back of the car and pulled toward me and they popped out. Then I released the tab separating the light and wiring with a flat head screw driver. My car had no slack in the wire at all and I didn't want to yank on it. I was able to barely get the screw driver in to release the clip. Still very easy and less than 5-10mins total.

Car looks great knurly! Totally improves the look. At least I won the race to put the clears on

Last edited by BlackSpeed; 12-07-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 PM
RIndy is infamous around these parts
I completely agree. In addition to having a difficult time removing the amber markers, I needed to shaved about 1 mm off the inside clip of the clear markers with a Dremel before they would snap in.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by knurly
I'm half way through reading the manual - didn't see that section yet. Looked just now but don't see a section for replacing the side lights. Headlights are described on page 266, but it says "Have defective LEDs and bulbs replaced at an authorized Porsche dealer". It then goes on to only talk about replacing headlights.

I could feel a circular pattern you are talking about on the inside of the wheel well that probably is for screwdriver access to the spring clip, but I didn't punch that out. Didn't want to create a perforation in the wheel well.

I guess I was seduced by how easy the video made it look...
If it's like a 997, you don't punch anything out. There is a circular plug that you remove to get access to the spring. You then replace the plug. Again, I am referring to a 997, which is what I have. They may have changed the sidemarker removal procedure on the 991, but I am sure there is a "proper" way to remove them.

Last edited by GS997S; 12-08-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I got mine from a Porsche dealer - at the same price as SunCoast charges. The installation was a snap.

One of their mechanics did it in about a minute a side, complimentary. Watching carefully, I estimated that I saved at least a couple of days waiting, an anxious hour installing and a bucket of sweat.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
studlee is infamous around these parts
i actually broke the tab in the bumper that holds the reflector...i was so ****ing pissed. i was able to use some plastic that is moldable when hot and sets up once it cools off to hold the side marker in place. this has caused me to stop my mods for now.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by knurly
Well, after seeing all the cool clear side marker installs I had to do it too.

Ordered through Suncoast Motorsports. After reading all the posts on installation tips and watching the Suncoast video, I just did the install.

Is anyone else willing to admit they cracked their old side marker lens while pulling them off? The new one went on OK, but the original ones were very tight. I cracked one of them pulling it off.

The guy in the install video makes it look very easy. I suspect those particular lenses were pulled on/off a few times to "loosen them up".

One last thought: the Suncoast supplied parts don't appear to be Porsche OEM. Besides the construction being quite different - including being a much thicker in profile height - every Porsche part I've ever seen has their unique numbering system stamped on it. These parts didn't have that.

No complaints really. The new lenses look good (bling!), appear to be solidly constructed, and are reasonably priced.

I appreciate the information shared in this community, so just wanted to contribute back. I consider myself reasonably adept at mechanical skills, but found the install wasn't as easy as the video suggests.

We only sell factory side markers, they are Genuine Porsche OEM parts. However, there are now two versions of side markers. You ordered the standard set with incandescent bulbs.

Standard Side Markers:

Soon we will be offering a factory clear LED version. The LED version has a lower and more sleek profile, and of course, has a more interesting light pattern. Looks like you have the LED orange lights, and they also have a slimmer profile and unique light pattern.

Coming soon, the new clear LED Side markers:

More details coming...........

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1-porsche%20clear%20led%20side%20marker%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20turbo%20gt3%202013%.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	309610   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-porsche%20clear%20led%20side%20marker%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20turbo%20gt3%202013%.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	309611   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012%202013%20carrera%20clear%20side%20marker%20euro.jpg
Views:	2785
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	309612   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-porsche%20clear%20led%20side%20marker%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20turbo%20gt3%202013%.jpg
Views:	218
ID:	309613   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-porsche%20clear%20led%20side%20marker%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20turbo%20gt3%202013%.jpg
Views:	524
ID:	309614  

Click image for larger version

Views:	114
ID:	309615   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-porsche%20clear%20led%20side%20marker%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20turbo%20gt3%202013%.jpg
Views:	114
ID:	309616   Click image for larger version

Views:	11954
ID:	309617   Click image for larger version

Views:	4073
ID:	309618  
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Ah, that explains the difference in profile. I'll probably swap these incandescent versions for LEDS to match the rest of the lighting system on my car.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 AM
BlackSpeed is infamous around these partsBlackSpeed is infamous around these parts
thanks Suncoast!
Does one need LED headlights for the LED side markers?
My dealer had the LED side markers, but they weren't sure if they'd work on my Xenon equipped car. I personally like the look of the non-LED side clear markers, so it wasn't a concern of mine, but it may be helpful to know for others considering new side markers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clear side marker install admissions?