Ready for new 911. Any option/color regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Aranthir is infamous around these parts
1) have you driven both the c2 and the S? If not drive them. Not just on the freeway but in traffic. then decide if 50 hp makes a difference to you as a daily driver. You may find, like I did that other than a shiny "S" on the back of your car you wont feel a difference unless you "put your foot into it". There's definitely a diminishing return on HP numbers over 275hp imo.

I went with a standard, optioned up to 108k. have everything I wanted, nothing I don't. Its an awesome daily driver and I'm never wanting for power. I mash the gas when I want it and the power roars to the back wheels nicely.

1 regret...would have liked to try a car with pse...didn't so while I hear its awesome I never tried it.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aranthir
1) have you driven both the c2 and the S? If not drive them. Not just on the freeway but in traffic. then decide if 50 hp makes a difference to you as a daily driver. You may find, like I did that other than a shiny "S" on the back of your car you wont feel a difference unless you "put your foot into it". There's definitely a diminishing return on HP numbers over 275hp imo. I went with a standard, optioned up to 108k. have everything I wanted, nothing I don't. Its an awesome daily driver and I'm never wanting for power. I mash the gas when I want it and the power roars to the back wheels nicely. 1 regret...would have liked to try a car with pse...didn't so while I hear its awesome I never tried it.
I actually think the S has the advantage when driving at slower speeds or in traffic... Because of more torque the car is a bit easier/smoother in traffic IMHO. I think on the track both engines will offer the same fun, with the difference that the S is faster.

To the OP:
Regarding the several leather choices. I don't know if you've seen the thread, but I made a PDF file that explains the choices a little better. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...explained.html

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 12-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
bentley2013gtc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Aranthir
1) have you driven both the c2 and the S? If not drive them. Not just on the freeway but in traffic. then decide if 50 hp makes a difference to you as a daily driver. You may find, like I did that other than a shiny "S" on the back of your car you wont feel a difference unless you "put your foot into it". There's definitely a diminishing return on HP numbers over 275hp imo.

I went with a standard, optioned up to 108k. have everything I wanted, nothing I don't. Its an awesome daily driver and I'm never wanting for power. I mash the gas when I want it and the power roars to the back wheels nicely.

1 regret...would have liked to try a car with pse...didn't so while I hear its awesome I never tried it.
I hear you, where I am at in Cali it's hard to get much over the speed limit without getting a ticket with LE everywhere, even the Cayman S was waaay more than I really needed but I need a back seat for Shelby the little one, lucky girl, she gets to sit closer to the engine haha!!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM
jerryk991 is infamous around these partsjerryk991 is infamous around these parts
I would take the time to try the 14 way versus the 18 way seats. I have the 14 way and don't like the different size side bolsters. The rev matching is kind of cool and I believe it comes with a manual if you also get the sport chromo. PSE is a must that I miss.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:20 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
With a 7MT, sport chrono and PSE is a winning combination.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
S, 7MT, Sport PASM and X-51 (includes Sport Chrono, PSE 30 HP and oh my), full leather.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
S, 7MT, Sport PASM and X-51 (includes Sport Chrono, PSE 30 HP and oh my), full leather.
Sorry I am still learning the abreviations, what is the PSE and X-51?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bentley2013gtc
Sorry I am still learning the abreviations, what is the PSE and X-51?
PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust. Sounds very nice. I wouldn't buy a 911 without it.

X-51 = the engine power kit that gives the car 30 more HP. I think it is only available on the S models. Very expensive option at $17,800, but does include PSE and Sport Chrono, so you wouldn't have to pay for those options if you went with the X-51 power kit.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
I have the multifunction steering wheel and although the sports design looks better I find mine easier to live with. The buttons I actually like quite a bit(which I didn't at first).

Go for the S, you won't regret it.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
I love the sport design steering wheel - looks great and feels good in the hands.

I got the standard black interior and am extremely happy with it. This is my third Porsche sports car and I have had the standard black interior in all of them. It's timeless and I'm still not sick of it- I don't regret not getting full leather leather. I think if going for a light interior the leather may make more of a difference.

I went with the manual transmission and I love it, especially with sport chrono and rev matched downshifts in sport plus with my exhaust set up - it's intoxicating!

I would also highly recommend the sport PASM - it lowers the car 10mm over the standard PASM and has the extended front chin spoiler- I think it gives the car a really nice, aggressive stance. Also firmer suspension but you can dial it back with the press of a button.

As far as 3.4 vs 3.8, I'm sure you'd be happy with both. More car than you need for street use. You need to rev the 3.4 more to get the performance out of it but they're both fantastic cars.

The PSE or an aftermarket exhaust really does add to the sportscar experience and I would highly recommend it. When I drove the 3.4 with standard exhaust, I thought it was a little too quiet for a Porsche.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
i regret not getting full leather. But my car was already up to $125k with wheels...Didnt want to go to 130 so i skimped on the leather - regret it now
More than half of my Porsches have been full leather. It is a nice touch to the car to have a luxury cabin but it will never fetch a dime of itsoriginal cost in resale . That's when you won't regret it .
The newer cars have a decent standard interior compared to previous models .

Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1) I feel that out the entire Porsche lineup the 991 base and S are the hardest to configure . With enough options a 991S is in Turbo price territory (where the Turbo HP jump is huge and things like full leather are standard) . With other Porsche models its easier to justify less options or smaller engine choices . For instance a v6 Cayenne can be called "practical " . The same can be said about a v6 Panamera. A Boxster or Cayman with high option lists will drive used shopper away and besides who needs luxury in a roadster ?

A 911 though is Porsches icon. It is a drivers car. Figuring out how to get the most without pricing the car out of the market can be challenging.

2) I am strong agreement with most of what LB987S states but will add to it. If I Insisted on full leather and PDK (as must have options) I would have to get a Turbo . The Turbo makes the most efficient use out of PDK and has all the luxury of leather as a standard equipment.

I also like his choice of black interior . I have had terracotta nd its beautiful for a sunny Florida car but even that color is bright and there are some times a more quiet cabin is appreciated . Red would just be too over the top for my taste .

3) LB987S mentions the significance of sport exhaust . I agree . I would go one step further and get the X-51 because it includes sport chrono and sport exhaust (those two options alone are nearly 5K . x-51 is 17K ) . I would skip PDK (4+K)and get a manual . Even though I love PDK (and feel it provides engine longevity by ignoring over revs) I feel it is overpriced and poised to evolve. With options costing what they do I would omit it from a 991S . I gave this much thought over time and had not always had this view . A manual with x-51 would be a very exclusive In fact it would be the highest HP current 911 with a manual that Porsche makes . In my opinion that is very desireable.

4) I would get PASM as he stated.

5) I would get the S over the base car . I could not spend 100K and feel there is something that close which offered more .

If this leads you to a Turbo (where PDK and leather are standard)I wont argue the logic but if a 991 S were the car I would taper the options to the most select specs with performance driving as the central theme with option choice.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-17-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM
bboatman has a spectacular aura aboutbboatman has a spectacular aura about
Just don't get black, I have black and wish it was another color, all my porsches have been black, but this one just doesn't look as good as the other colors available.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by bboatman
Just don't get black, I have black and wish it was another color, all my porsches have been black, but this one just doesn't look as good as the other colors available.
I hear what you mean, most of the cars I have ever had seem to have black interiors, still not sure about an all red interior, I think it looks great and unique now, but what about in 6-12 months, its hard going back so maybe better safe than sorry!!

The agate actually looks good, I need to find one at a dealer to check it out!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CALGUY
You may not use it but for resale these are two options a lot of people expect.
I don't see many 911s in america with a sunroof. Nav is standard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ready for new 911. Any option/color regrets?