Ready for new 911. Any option/color regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
bentley2013gtc is infamous around these parts
Ready for new 911. Any option/color regrets?

Hello all, I sold my Cayman S a few years ago due to no place for a baby seat, haha!
Anyway, the new 911 has bit me hard and I have done about 50 different configurations on the Porsche website, everything from a basic 911, to a Turbo S, it is easy to get out of control.
My first thought was just a very basic, base 911, just a 7speed manual and few options. Then I spec'd a 911 S basic, and then all the options I really want and I am up to $120k, so I think why not a basoc Turbo for $20k more, then add a few options I really want, then your up to the price of a Turbo S. Then rationality hits and I am back to a basic low option base 911, thinking I should just drive the heck out of it and enjoy it for the best fun for the dollar if that is possible!!
I have settled on Silver with Red interior, at least for today, and wondered what options you got and regret getting or options you regret not getting, and also color combinations you regret getting or not getting?
Also, why is their no option for the bigger "S" brakes on the base model, am I missing it somewhere on the options list? Is there an reasonable way to fit them later?
Thanks for your input, back to the photo thread!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I think you'd regret not getting the "S" with Sport Chrono and PSE. Also consider either normal wheels with the spacers or the Sport Techno wheels which are 1/2" wider.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Judging by your username, you and I are a lot alike: I own a 2013 GTC and was also bitten by the 991 bug and am now a happy owner of one I custom ordered.

Mine is Guards red with Luxor Beige and red stitching everywhere. I have two regrets: After seeing how much glare the beige dash throws onto the windshield, I think perhaps a black dash would have made more sense. Secondly, I opted for white gauges but they only look white when the car isn't running. Once the engine is on and the gauges get lit, the white fades and at night it's completely gone and the gauges appear to have dark faces. I should've opted for yellow.

Other than carbon ceramic brakes, I don't know of any bigger brake options and don't think there is any need for bigger brakes, anyway. The standard brakes are already perfect for street use.

Mine is equipped with PDK and I love it. I've owned and driven third-pedal manuals since 1963 and while I also love them, for a modern car I'm totally sold on dual-clutch automatics, especially the PDK. Well worth the money they are charging for it, IMO.

Take your time deciding because it's like carpentry: measure twice but cut once. Get it right the first time and never look back.

Also agree with Snowcarz about getting the S and the PSE.

Last edited by SanibelSpeed; 12-16-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
an S, Sports Chrono, PDK, and PSE are a must...My next one will atleast have all these. I have a C2 with PDK, Sports Chrono, and a few other options and was 105k. The 3.4 loves to rev and on the track its great, more car than I can drive. The 3.8 in the S along with the brakes are a no brainer. I should have got the S.

As for for you rationale on a 120k S vs a Turbo which starts at 148k that doesn't include a few of the options such Sports Chrono and a few other goodies which will be 160k out the door. Also a dealer is going to take 5-6% off a S all day long the turbo not a damn thing.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Judging by your username, you and I are a lot alike: I own a 2013 GTC and was also bitten by the 991 bug and am now a happy owner of one I custom ordered.

Mine is Guards red with Luxor Beige and red stitching everywhere. I have two regrets: After seeing how much glare the beige dash throws onto the windshield, I think perhaps a black dash would have made more sense. Secondly, I opted for white gauges but they only look white when the car isn't running. Once the engine is on and the gauges get lit, the white fades and at night it's completely gone and the gauges appear to have dark faces. I should've opted for yellow.

Other than carbon ceramic brakes, I don't know of any bigger brake options and don't think there is any need for bigger brakes, anyway. The standard brakes are already perfect for street use.

Mine is equipped with PDK and I love it. I've owned and driven third-pedal manuals since 1963 and while I also love them, for a modern car I'm totally sold on dual-clutch automatics, especially the PDK. Well worth the money they are charging for it, IMO.

Take your time deciding because it's like carpentry: measure twice but cut once. Get it right the first time and never look back.

Also agree with Snowcarz about getting the S and the PSE.

If I were you I would have opted for red gauges. But your combination is what I was thinking of for my turbo build. Would you mind posting pictures of the outside of your car and the inside as well? I'd like to see what the red stitching with the beige interior looks like.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
Total agreement on an "S" with PSA (a must!) and Sports Chrono. You might also want to think about the Deviated Carpet Option (black carpeting) if you're getting the red interior.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the input!
I forgot to ask about those who have the PDK vs manual. The reason I want a 911 is because it is one of the last few cars with a manual trans. I don't plan to spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, which is when a manual gets very annoying, but then again, it's nice to just hit the gas pedal and only worry about where your going to be in the next few seconds!
Also I guess I wonder about resale value of a manual vs PDK since not many people love a manual anymore!
And I know what you mean about the Turbo, no discount unless I wait a few years for a good used one to show up in the market and let someone else take the big hit, but they don't seem to drop a lot!
It's hard to keep an S much under $115k with some good options.
Oh well, back to the configurator!
So many cars, so little time!!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:33 AM
VivaDnA is infamous around these parts
I thought I couldn't live without a sunroof and navigation, but honestly I almost never use either one. Could have saved $$'s and weight.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VivaDnA
I thought I couldn't live without a sunroof and navigation, but honestly I almost never use either one. Could have saved $$'s and weight.
You may not use it but for resale these are two options a lot of people expect.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VivaDnA
Isn't navigation now standard on the 991?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:46 AM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bentley2013gtc
Thanks for the input!
I forgot to ask about those who have the PDK vs manual. The reason I want a 911 is because it is one of the last few cars with a manual trans. I don't plan to spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, which is when a manual gets very annoying, but then again, it's nice to just hit the gas pedal and only worry about where your going to be in the next few seconds!
Also I guess I wonder about resale value of a manual vs PDK since not many people love a manual anymore!
And I know what you mean about the Turbo, no discount unless I wait a few years for a good used one to show up in the market and let someone else take the big hit, but they don't seem to drop a lot!
It's hard to keep an S much under $115k with some good options.
Oh well, back to the configurator!
So many cars, so little time!!

Where I live (near Hilton Head Island) the dealer says it is about 50/50 manual vs. PDK. That may be because many buyers here are retired and not dealing with daily traffic but instead mostly pleasure driving. They are also probably not tracking the car. Still, if manuals are overall less popular than PDK, the value of the manual will probably be pretty good as it will be more rare.

All that said the manual is a joy to drive for me. Don't be talked out of it if that is what you are leaning towards. Drive both and decide. The manual now comes with automatic rev-matching for downshifts if you have the Sport Chrono option and are in Sport Plus mode. This allows you to enjoy the great PSE sounds when you downshift from higher RPM"s. It is easier and safer to do it with the auto rev-matching than by blipping the throttle yourself albeit not as satisfying when you get it right.

For me, the PDK is best for traffic, track and easier, safer and faster downshifts. (I really don't see much benefit is faster shifting though, regardless of up or down, unless you are tracking the car.)

Old 12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
i regret not getting full leather. But my car was already up to $125k with wheels...Didnt want to go to 130 so i skimped on the leather - regret it now

Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedsterr
If I were you I would have opted for red gauges. But your combination is what I was thinking of for my turbo build. Would you mind posting pictures of the outside of your car and the inside as well? I'd like to see what the red stitching with the beige interior looks like.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-galore.html

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by P997S
i regret not getting full leather. But my car was already up to $125k with wheels...Didnt want to go to 130 so i skimped on the leather - regret it now
How are the non leather parts wearing? Do they look too much like synthetic leather? I was looking at all the leather options, too much to choose from, simple seems easier. I guess I need to look at some cars that have more leather, and maybe look at some older Porsches to see how the leather wears on different parts of the interior.

I was leaning toward not getting the all leather interior and all red interior, I am a bit worried I may grow tired of so much red even though it is unique. I never get tired of black.

The latest is I am at $103k for a base 911 and $116k for a 911S with all the options I really want. I can live with $13k more for the S the way I want it!

Also, any comments on the Multifunction vs Sportdesign steering wheel?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I like the color combo and contrasting stiching!

The white face gauges look good too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ready for new 911. Any option/color regrets?