991 Carrera (base model) with rear spoiler with fixed-wing profile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:36 AM
brda is infamous around these parts
991 Carrera (base model) with rear spoiler with fixed-wing profile

Is it possible to order a 991 Carrera (base model) with rear spoiler with fixed-wing profile? Essentially is it possible to add the Aerokit Cup option (revised front fascia, front spoiler and rear spoiler with fixed-wing profile) but subtract the SportDesign Front Fascia option (revised front fascia and front spoiler)?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
No. I've asked around too. It has to do with their wind tunnel testing and finding a balance of downforce at both ends. If you wanted you could buy them aftermarket and only add the spoiler. I just wouldn't try for a top end drive afterward.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Why wouldn't you want the Sport Design front? The only reason I could imagine would be to save the money. In my opinion, the basic front bumper does not look very good.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Well, my excuse is a steep driveway. The extra length would make it difficult to get up. Hence why I am considering the TechArt lift kit and an aero kit. Not sure what the OPs desire is.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Exactly, my reason for not wanting the SportDesign Front Fascia is, as Porsche say, "Reduces approach angle considerably."

How much might it cost to have an OEM rear spoiler with fixed-wing profile added aftermarket?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Suncoast has the parts listed on their website I believe. However, I also understand they are not allowed to sell the rear spoiler without the front sport design bumper. They ask for the VIN of the car to determine whether the proper front is there from the factory. I guess many people on this site are too young to remember Ralph Nader's Book "Unsafe at any Speed" referring to the Corvair. Porsche doesn't want the incorrect aerodynamics on their cars.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:22 PM
So perhaps the most practical option would be to order the 991 Carrera base model with the Aerokit Cup option, then have the TECHART Noselift front axle lift system installed because of the considerably reduced approach angle?

Old 12-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by brda
So perhaps the most practical option would be to order the 991 Carrera base model with the Aerokit Cup option, then have the TECHART Noselift front axle lift system installed because of the considerably reduced approach angle?
Didn't I just say that?
;-)

Old 12-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Didn't I just say that?
;-)
I'm starting to suspect that that's the case!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Well, my excuse is a steep driveway. The extra length would make it difficult to get up. Hence why I am considering the TechArt lift kit and an aero kit. Not sure what the OPs desire is.
Originally Posted by brda
Exactly, my reason for not wanting the SportDesign Front Fascia is, as Porsche say, "Reduces approach angle considerably."

How much might it cost to have an OEM rear spoiler with fixed-wing profile added aftermarket?
Ah, makes sense. It just doesn't look that much lower than stock. I guess I need to stop speculating until I actually have one in my possession.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 AM
CarreraS737 is infamous around these partsCarreraS737 is infamous around these parts
I have the aerokit cup, as well as a very steep drive entry.

Take it at an angle and lead with the sharp turn of the lead wheel and have not had a problem with it yet. But you do have to think about it more in everyday driving and the approach/departure angles at some places you might go away from home.

I really like the look of it, so it's worth the extra care necessary on entry/exit occasionally to me.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 AM
knurly is infamous around these parts
@CarreraS737: sounds like you have perfected the technique. I figured out the entry angle part but hadn't consciously added the sharp turn. That probably explains why I'm only sometimes successful.

I'll give the sharp turn a try.

Would you agree 45 degrees is a good entry angle?

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 AM
BlackSpeed is infamous around these partsBlackSpeed is infamous around these parts
No problem with my sport design front end, but I'm very aware while driving. I have slightly scraped that black plastic piece under the car (part of the plastic tray underneath?). Each time I got out to look if it was the the lip, but it wasn't.

Anyway, if you wanted the stock front end, how about ordering aero cup kit and buying the stock front bumper and selling your sport design front end. I'd imagine this would be the cheapest way to get the look you want and I'm sure someone would buy your sport design front end. If it is black, I might buy it for a spare

Btw, I agree, the sport design front end is beautiful on the car and it's a must for me!