991 50 th anniversary

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 PM
bernard.barbour is infamous around these partsbernard.barbour is infamous around these parts
Absolutely stunning. I saw one parked in the parking garage at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart over the holidays. Am image that will stick with me forever :-)

Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
moje911, your car is stunning!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
One of the few 7 spd/x51! Lets hear some driving impressions. Big congrats...
J

Last edited by 96redLT4; 01-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 AM
moje911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
One of the few 7 spd/x51! Lets here some driving impressions. Big congrats... J
I'm embarrassed to say that I've probably put only about 50 miles on the car, in my first outing but do love it. Apart from a slight burning smell from it being new, all is good.

I do not understand other drivers coming from M3's not being able to become accustomed to the clutch. My little hint to all new MT drivers is to think of first gear as something to just get the car rolling, never letting the clutch out fully before getting into 2nd to accelerate. Anyway I find it to be smooth and very forgiving - but that's coming from a motorcycle and Miata driver - meaning that I believe I am intune with smooth shifting by sound/feel on high revving, smaller engines. I've never really looked at a tach unless I was on the straight of a track. Btw that is what sold me on a MT, took a skip barber advanced driving class and enjoyed shifting while driving hard.
Back to reality though - in NYC with stop and go traffic I do not find the clutch to be difficult at all. The biggest workout I've ever had was in 1985 in a Scirocco. These days they're not so hard and engagement is easy to find and get smooth power without grinding out of first. I doubt I will see 7th often, let alone past 4th. I do get a kick out of T/H around corners and I love that the car just sticks. I've kept it out of Sport so it is not rev-matching for me. I plan to learn the car before letting it drive for me.

I must say that I learned the most out of how to drive a stick when I was a teenager observing cab drivers while in Korea. It could be any country but the point is that these guys are doing it for a living, all day and it's about being smooth. Not abrupt and so-called speed shifting. Riding a bike also teaches you to be less jerky and modulate the clutch and gas.

So I love to shift and thought that since I was getting a 50th anniversary model, I may as well do it right. I fear that any 911s will no longer be available in MT in five years time. So it's a personal collectors item I can tell my kids about in twenty years. Stick and a wide wheelbase driving the rear wheels - all you need for a memorable 911 at any time. I fear a dying breed. Hoping for sunny warmer weather soon and some country roads.

Last edited by moje911; 01-18-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a great drive! Look forward to hearing more as you rack up some miles at higher revs. Did you have a late model P before before this?
J

Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Specifically interested in how the manual transmission compares...
J

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM
GMAC03 is infamous around these partsGMAC03 is infamous around these parts
Nice looking ride, I have to believe a MT 50 will hold its value over time.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
Thanks for the pics. The 50th is actually growing on me. I like it!
Except for those damn seats!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by moje911
I do not understand other drivers coming from M3's not being able to become accustomed to the clutch.
I don't either, it's just a clutch, not rocket science ! It takes me about 10 minutes to get used to a clutch and throttle in any new car to seamlessly h&t. Porsches are no diferent than any other car. You just have to allow yourself some time to get accustomed to the force needed to press the pedals and to the new bite points. Be patient and keep pedaling, it will come to you ! Don't overanylyze it !
Maybe as an exercise to get a feel for it you could try to hold your car in place on an incline just by modulating the clutch and throttle (not that it is wise to do so because that is not what it is designed for).

My little hint to all new MT drivers is to think of first gear as something to just get the car rolling, never letting the clutch out fully before getting into 2nd to accelerate.
Never letting the clutch out fully in 1st ? I always let the clutch out before I get on the gas (unless I want a very speedy takeoff), less clutch slip equals less clutch wear !

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by GMAC03
Nice looking ride, I have to believe a MT 50 will hold its value over time.
I do hope it will be a modern collectors item, but I plan to fully find out about its full potential

Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by bccars
I don't either, it's just a clutch, not rocket science ! It takes me about 10 minutes to get used to a clutch and throttle in any new car to seamlessly h&t. Porsches are no diferent than any other car. You just have to allow yourself some time to get accustomed to the force needed to press the pedals and to the new bite points. Be patient and keep pedaling, it will come to you ! Don't overanylyze it ! Maybe as an exercise to get a feel for it you could try to hold your car in place on an incline just by modulating the clutch and throttle (not that it is wise to do so because that is not what it is designed for). Never letting the clutch out fully in 1st ? I always let the clutch out before I get on the gas (unless I want a very speedy takeoff), less clutch slip equals less clutch wear !
I guess what I'm saying is in daily driving I prefer to roll out in 1st with smooth steady throttle with clutch just past engagement, then full clutch to shift and accelerate in 2nd. I find that letting the clutch fully out in1st before adding gas is a bit jerky starting from a standstill, and then jerky again when shifting to 2nd. Of course you need to know the sweet spot for rpms at those speeds for your engine.

On the track it's a different story with dropping the clutch and holding 1st til about 5500.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
1960apache has a spectacular aura about1960apache has a spectacular aura about
Just in and ready to be prepped. Will see if the Sport PASM and the streets of NYC will play nice. Realized the center of the front bumper is different from others, there is actually a radiator there so will need to re-think license plate location. Can anyone recommend a motorized plate?

Thanks for feedback, and to those that sent pm's, I'm new here so can't directly respond yet.
I am really starting to get hooked on the 911-50th, I love nostalgia, the seats and wheels are perfect!

I have spent hours on the Porsche Configurator and still can't quite get the right combination that I like but I keep looking at the 911-50th and it grows on you, I don't get tired of the look!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
bernard.barbour is infamous around these partsbernard.barbour is infamous around these parts
Who couldn't love this car?

Originally Posted by 1960apache
I am really starting to get hooked on the 911-50th, I love nostalgia, the seats and wheels are perfect!

I have spent hours on the Porsche Configurator and still can't quite get the right combination that I like but I keep looking at the 911-50th and it grows on you, I don't get tired of the look!
I remember seeing this one at the Porsche Museum the moment I drove into the parking garage. Epic moment.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	329336  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 1960apache
but I keep looking at the 911-50th and it grows on you!
That is so true. At first I hated it. I hated the colors offered, hated the classic touches on the modern design. Now indeed it starts to grow on me. I find myself thinking sometimes when I see pics, mmmmm great car !
I wonder what happens when I see it in real life again ...

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
I guess I'm the only one that hates the "hole" in the grill for the 3rd brake light. Love that car, seats wheels, etc. but can't get over the broken grill look.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 50 th anniversary