991 Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
SPASM is a stiff ride. Sport mode simply makes it even stiffer.

If you already have back issues then I'd strongly suggest losing the "S" in SPASM and getting PASM with the appropriate sized wheels / tires and supportive seat.

Unfortunately the city roads in Atlanta are a far cry from the Autobahn and you certainly wouldn't want to be another case-study of buyers remorse.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Zelig is infamous around these parts
I have have three spinal surgeries and post-laminectomy (failed back surgery syndrome). This causes chronic back pain daily. Transferring in & out of the vehicle is not an issue for me. The ride is stiff but still end up using Sport plus most of the time with no issues. I recommend the 18 way adaptive seats since they made a big difference in my comfort but try them first.

Had a 997 and my experience was the same.

Best of luck.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Rent one for a day...really drive it, get in and out, etc. Then decide. Cost you $5-700.00, but worth it in the long run.

How about a base model with 19" wheels. No PASM, least stiff and with the 19's a smoother ride as well...

You really DO NOT NEED an S model. The base model is fast enough.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I find my 991S with Sport PASM supple and comfortable. The seats fit me and their firmness is way better for my back than softer seats. If they didn't I would not have the car.

The suspension is designed for the 20 in wheels and I don't find it jarring. That said, many have reported that regular PASM and PDCC are the most comfortable combination.

The car is undeniably lower than many, but the "butt plant and leg swing" entry technique seems to work well to avoid back twinges - which are always there when the door cannot be opened wide and other contortions are required.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
You guys who say SPASM is "comfortable", what cars are you comparing to?

To me it's harsh enough to make me slow down on rough roads and dodge any rough surface I can avoid.
I can deal with it but I would never sell it as comfortable or supple.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lunarx
You guys who say SPASM is "comfortable", what cars are you comparing to?

To me it's harsh enough to make me slow down on rough roads and dodge any rough surface I can avoid.
I can deal with it but I would never sell it as comfortable or supple.
I was comparing it to my prior Porsches ( Boxter S RS-60, a track tweaked 911SC, a 74 S and a 914 2.0)- WAY MORE COMFORTABLE AND SUPPLE, LOL.

OK OK it is certainily less supple than a non SPASM car, but it is totally acceptable to me despite a back problem- not as smooth as my Infiniti G35S, but not so stiff that I don't enjoy it whenever there is no snow (due to the summer tires), for short or long trips. RE the OP I think the lowness and the entry / exit are as important considerations.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 01-16-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Don't foresee a problem as the seat reclines back when you ignition off. But, I also don't know how bad/chronic your back is. I highly recommend 18way seats as they fit like a glove and would support your back perfectly.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Not-yet-50 cab owner here. +1 for 18-way seats. Wife doesn't like getting in and out with her mild back issues, but once in we are both super comfortable.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I'm over 70 and have back issues. I tried out all 4 seat versions and went with the 18 Way seats. I have no issues with my back on long drives. Car is a Cab so has PASM (not sport) and PDCC. I also run my tire pressures at the part load comfort settings. Ride is quite fine.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Maybe I misunderstood but I think he said "cab". No sport PASM on a cab.

I drive an SUV as a dd and notice that the 991 is really low when spring comes around. Takes me about a week to get used to it again. I think it's a very comfortable car and I live in WI where the roads are much worse than ATL. Moved here from Roswell where I lived for the past 20 yrs. previous car was a 996 with the M030 sport suspension; it was undriveable up here. The 991 (I have PASM) is fantastic. Wife and I both love it. Frankly it could be a bit stiffer IMO.

Go for it! And good luck.