991 Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
Smile 991 Question

I've been lurking for several months now. I really want a C4S. I have permission from the boss to pull the trigger!

But, I have a bad back and this car would be my daily driver. I have asked before but I wanted to get an updated opinion poll on what you guys think. Would I ultimately be miserable getting in and out of this car everyday given how low it is? And how comfortable is it driving everyday?

Keep in mind I'm 47 and I've wanted one since I was 6 years old and I am trying to get my Cab before I'm 50. (That is a nod to another thread that says you never see anyone under 50 driving a Cab)

Thanks everybody! This is an awesome forum!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sad to say that it could be a definite possibility that you would hate entering/exiting the car. It is low. Have you tried one out at a local dealer? Or know someone with a 997/991, just to try.
You could step up to a Cayenne? Still a Porsche badge.... Just not the same.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by C-MAN67
I've been lurking for several months now. I really want a C4S. I have permission from the boss to pull the trigger!

But, I have a bad back and this car would be my daily driver. I have asked before but I wanted to get an updated opinion poll on what you guys think. Would I ultimately be miserable getting in and out of this car everyday given how low it is? And how comfortable is it driving everyday?

Keep in mind I'm 47 and I've wanted one since I was 6 years old and I am trying to get my Cab before I'm 50. (That is a nod to another thread that says you never see anyone under 50 driving a Cab)

I have a chronic back problem and find my 991 comfortable for DD and long trips. The hight is not an issue- the seats adjust over quite a range.

That said- if I have them all the way up I have to duck to get in; have them all the way down and I am sitting too low. But- the 14 way power seat and keyless entry with its memory function solves the problem entirely for me.

But the ONLY way you will know is to get into one, drive for a while, and try the entry/exit a few times.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I have a chronic back problem and find my 991 comfortable for DD and long trips. The hight is not an issue- the seats adjust over quite a range.

That said- if I have them all the way up I have to duck to get in; have them all the way down and I am sitting too low. But- the 14 way power seat and keyless entry with its memory function solves the problem entirely for me.

But the ONLY way you will know is to get into one, drive for a while, and try the entry/exit a few times.
Thanks, I have test driven several times. However, the excitement of looking and testing can mask problems that only someone who has had the car for a longer period of time and using the car every day can attest to.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM
dshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nice
I would consider getting in and out to be pretty bad, however, short of a significant medical issue that made it painful or unbearable, this can easily be ignored as you spend less than a minute a day getting in and out and could get to spend hours driving such a wonderful car. The real question is whether or not you can get comfortable driving the vehicle. If you can, then I would recommend ignoring entry/exit as it is unlikely to wipe the smile off your face that you get from driving.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure how bad your back is (as pain can be terribly subjective), but I would not recommend it without walking into a show room and trying the different seats.

Furthermore, the ride in these cars can be quite harsh and jarring, so choose wisely.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
It depends what you are sensitive too.

Does a harsh suspension bother you (when hitting dips and bumps)? If so, you need to be careful which suspension option you get.

The 18 way seats are comfortable with good lumbar support, but they are deep and position your legs a bit high, even with full forward rake on the lower seat cushion.

Entry and exit is fine unless you have a knee problem.

You need to find someone to let you take a couple hours drive in one, to know for sure.
15 min dealer test drives reveal nothing, which helps dealers sell the cars.

Last edited by lunarx; 01-15-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-MAN67

Rent a 991 from Hertz for a week, you will know quickly if it is the car for you.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by lunarx
It depends what you are sensitive too.

Does a harsh suspension bother you (when hitting dips and bumps)? If so, you need to be careful which suspension option you get.

The 18 way seats are comfortable with good lumbar support, but they are deep and position your legs a bit high, even with full forward rake on the lower seat cushion.

Entry and exit is fine unless you have a knee problem.

You need to find someone to let you take a couple hours drive in one, to know for sure.
15 min dealer test drives reveal nothing, which helps dealers sell the cars.
Thanks, which suspension option would you recommend for a less harsh ride?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Don't get SPASM. Stick with the regular PASM.... It is a sports car however the roads in Atlanta are much better than NYC..

Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I also had back concerns. I went down to the dealer and got in and out of the car several times. That to me is the biggest concern with the seating position being low. However it turned out to be a non-issue in my case. But I'm 38. Ask me again in 10 years and my opinion might change - I know my Dad would really struggle with this.

I also had ride quality concerns and decided to go with PASM not SPASM. PASM delivers acceptable ride quality.

The comfortable but sporty feeling version of this car is PASM, Power Steering Plus, Sport Chrono and PSE. Skip SPASM and PDCC.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Entering and exiting is also dependent on how wide you are able to swing open your door. I have a narrow garage so am only able to open my door a little so pulling my feet up and swinging them out is quite a strain and forces me to exit in a twisting position as I stand. Were I to have a bad back, that kind of exit would be excruciating. So, when trying at a dealer showroom, try real world conditions and not expect to always have a fully open door.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
GrayBlack is infamous around these parts
I think the 991 as a DD will be tough on your entry and exit if you have a bad back. It's a low car with a low seat position.

With regards to the suspension, the SPASM provides a great ride in my opinion. I also prefer the lower ride height of SPASM over PASM. It's only harsh when in sport mode. I only use sport mode for the track or twisties.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM
GMAC03 is infamous around these partsGMAC03 is infamous around these parts
From one sub 50 cab owner to another (hopefully). Your point of wanting one since you were 6 will never subside. Buy lots of Advill and go for it.

The ride on the 991 is very comfortable IMO.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Spathiinc has a spectacular aura aboutSpathiinc has a spectacular aura about
As another sub-50 cab owner, I mostly agree with GMAC. The ride is comfortable enough *for a sports car*, but my wife actively hates our morning commute due to the (normal non-sport) stiff suspension. I don't have back problems, but I once kinked my neck pretty bad and had a tough time twisting around to get good visibility through the small rear window in the cab. Got around that problem by just dropping the top. =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Question