2015 Corvette Z06 Eight-Speed Automatic Reportedly Shifts Faster Than PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gofast430
Why would ANYONE give a **** about a Corvette. If they are so
great, you can buy two of them for a 991.
A question I find myself asking all too often...

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
something doesnt make sense... and you guys are right, dont believe the marketing..

lets wait for a soundclip to hear it upshifting...

Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Interesting...

Regarding cost. A Z06 3LZ may run around $95k (estimating low here). But are you suggesting that a base 911 runs around $190k? Because that would be slightly higher than I thought.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
something doesnt make sense... and you guys are right, dont believe the marketing..
That goes for the Porsche marketing also.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GS997S
That goes for the Porsche marketing also.
Right, as opposed to the competition Porsche marketing usually publishes numbers that are understated and cars perform better than expected on paper

Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Why is it so hard to believe? What automatic transmission knowledge do the naysayers have?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
I sold my C6-ZO6 because of the valve defect that's causing catastrophic engine failures left and right (check out the posts on the Corvette forum to confirm this fact).

I'd purchased mine new and the car was still under warranty but I didn't want to wait around playing Russian Roulette. The problem seemed to stem from the hollow sodium-filled valves so I went for the suggested fix and had all the valves replaced with SS valves along with the springs, guides, etc.

The car ran just as fast, but there was an entirely different feel to the engine and I didn't like it. So I sold it right before the prices began plummeting, as I knew they would once word leaked out about the defect to the masses.

I needed another toy in the meantime, so I checked out the ZR1 and the GTR. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the ZR1 until a friend suggested that I try the 7th generation 911. I figured the C7 upgrade was around the corner and that swayed me away from the ZR1 (I trade cars often and felt I'd take a big hit because of the new model changes).

The 991S manual really fit the bill for me and I never enjoyed driving a car so much. When the weather is nice, I constantly find myself looking to go for nice rides up to the winding roads of Bear Mountain, etc.

And of course the fit and finish of the 991 is still way ahead of the Corvette, regardless of what the media is trying to hype about the C7. One just needs to visit a Chevy dealership to see my point.

That being said, I will purchase a new ZO6 one year after it hits the streets (purchasing a first year ZO6 can be just as frustrating as purchasing a first year 911 turbo).

By no means will I be replacing my 991 with the ZO6: the ZO6 will be my direct link to my exciting muscle-car past: Brute force with insane amounts of torque torturing the rubber while blasting down the quarter-mile in quest of an elusive number, which always seems to keep changing. LOL I would also never get a ZO6 in an automatic, no matter how well they claim it performs. It just seems sacrilegious not to have a manual shifter in a muscle car (unless of course you're building a car strictly for competition; in that case one would be going with a custom-made box in lieu of the factory slush box).

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
I love what Chevy has done with vette. It has been a constant improvement with those cars since the c5. This new generation really did a lot to fix the weak link interior of the vettes. Personally I will checking out the z06 and zr1.

But I can't how Chevy can make an automatic gearbox with planetary gears can shift faster than a computer controlled manual gearbox.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:46 PM
g.man.clt is infamous around these parts
Amen Brother!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Havok
But I can't how Chevy can make an automatic gearbox with planetary gears can shift faster than a computer controlled manual gearbox.
Please explain why. According to wiki an automatic shifts in 100ms already, why couldn't that be decreased?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by g.man.clt
Amen Brother!
Are Z06's cheap where you live?

Please let me know, because if I could get a Z06 for $50k, I'll jump on it.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I love my Porsche. And, after owning a a 1983 Chevy Cavalier, having it break at only 50k miles and Chevy saying too bad, I will never, ever own another Chevy. I even like the Cadillacs and...wait for it...I will never, ever, own another Chevy! EVER!

And I am not a Ferrari guy so I would not love the new vette as it...well...lets just say it looks like Chevy used Ferrari as its muse.

But value, style, and staggering numbers. It was just the GT-R. But now even that is pricy and not as good a dollar:horsepower ratio.

I will tip my hat to them as they blow by me in my C2S. But I won't trade!