Nitrogen in the tires. Home N2 Tanks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Nitrogen in the tires. Home N2 Tanks?

Guys,
My TT came from the factory (or the P Dealer) with nitrogen in the tires. Am I stuck with going to a tire place or the dealer to get some additional N2 if I need to adjust it? Or is there a can of nitrogen I can buy for occasional pressure adjustments?

I have seen canned nitrogen with regulators for paintball guns that are not terribly expensive, and wondered if these can be adapted or garage use?

It is really the inconvenience of having to drive too and from the place just to adjust the tire pressure than anything else.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 03-23-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM
TRM
TRM is infamous around these partsTRM is infamous around these parts
just use ambient air...it's 78% nitrogen anyway.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:13 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
The benefit of Nitrogen filling is marginal in real life conditions.
Re-fill with air and do not worry.

More info here: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/shou...-nitrogen.html

Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
That is what I was worried about: having N2 in the tires and mixing regular air. Not that I thought it would explode or anything, hehehe! I was hoping I would not be stuck having to use nitrogen.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
does195 is infamous around these parts
Didn't pass science class?

lol

Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 PM
reidry is infamous around these parts
The only advantage of Nitrogen is in the fact that the nitrogen you buy in a K bottle has extremely low concentration of water vapor this comes in handy for a race team at the track where the N2 bottle is readily portable (most teams have one in their shop cart, just take a look at the rear end where the regulator will be visible) and doesn't require an active or passive dryer.

Compressed air is just fine for street use - best if your source includes a dryer - you can get small silica gel charged ones for home use.

My air system in my shop has over 300 ft. of copper pipe, 2 separators, and a large silica gel dryer - overkill for filling tires, but great for spraying paint.

Ryan

Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by reidry
The only advantage of Nitrogen is in the fact that the nitrogen you buy in a K bottle has extremely low concentration of water vapor this comes in handy for a race team at the track where the N2 bottle is readily portable (most teams have one in their shop cart, just take a look at the rear end where the regulator will be visible) and doesn't require an active or passive dryer.

Compressed air is just fine for street use - best if your source includes a dryer - you can get small silica gel charged ones for home use.

My air system in my shop has over 300 ft. of copper pipe, 2 separators, and a large silica gel dryer - overkill for filling tires, but great for spraying paint.

Ryan
Ryan,

I may hit you up for some advice when I start my new garage design. I'd like to add a compressed air system for light use. I really want to pre-plumb the system prior to the walls going up. The entire concept eludes me, and it's really hard to find an expert.

Matt

Old 03-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Money2536
Ryan,

I may hit you up for some advice when I start my new garage design. I'd like to add a compressed air system for light use. I really want to pre-plumb the system prior to the walls going up. The entire concept eludes me, and it's really hard to find an expert.

Matt
Sure thing, happy to share what I've learned.

Ryan

Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Money2536
Ryan,

Matt
Your garage is already petrolhead heaven. Add a compressor and the only thing you'll still miss is a lift!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Your garage is already petrolhead heaven. Add a compressor and the only thing you'll still miss is a lift!
It's a slippery slope. My shop includes:

4 post 12,000lb lift
17 CFM @ 175 PSI compressor
Bridgeport Mill
9" Southbend Lathe
16" Southbend Lathe
20" Doall Vertical Bandsaw
8" Wells horizontal bandsaw

Etc, etc...

Ryan

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
That is what I was worried about: having N2 in the tires and mixing regular air. Not that I thought it would explode or anything, hehehe! I was hoping I would not be stuck having to use nitrogen.
In theory it provides slightly better heat transfer, less loss due to migration through the tire, less tire rot from moisture.. (presumably it is dry nitrogen that is used).

In reality the benefits are miniscule and really nothing more than a useless up sell mechanism for the tire and repair industry.

I'm sure there will be industry shills here that will state in absolutes the benefits of it, but don't waste a penny on it.. Every time they charge you for it, they are snickering at what a sucker you are..

Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You tires will never last long enough to get the real benefit from nitrogen on a street car unless you park it for over a decade. The only two reasons to use pure nitrogen are more stable tire pressures (important if racing) and it will prevent dry rotting from the inside of the tire (street car).

Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by reidry
It's a slippery slope. My shop includes:

4 post 12,000lb lift
17 CFM @ 175 PSI compressor
Bridgeport Mill
9" Southbend Lathe
16" Southbend Lathe
20" Doall Vertical Bandsaw
8" Wells horizontal bandsaw

Etc, etc...

Ryan

That is way more "real man" than me. I just want a compressor.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
But I bet his is not as clean as yours!