Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by moje911
I was asking because I question that it is in the spirit and letter of leasing to use it in extremes. Let's say I buy the car after it is turned in and then the issues just start to surface. Then I start to make videos like Nick- who is to blame?
There are organizations that rent cars for tracks.
Point being, should this post be here, with a blog?
OP was forthcoming, but he is not renting a track car, but leasing a car to be turned in with reasonable wear and tear to match its residual.
I'd love to comb through either contract and see what Porsche puts into it regarding extreme driving/tracking. From what I remember, some companies have explicit "racing/track day" provisions that prohibit any warranty claims related to wear and tear from said usage.

I also feel the same way; not sure if a forum/blog post announcing your track usage is the smartest thing to do. OP stated that his dealership was okay with his plans to "track" his car, yet, clearly, they have a problem with replacing the rotors now.

Lastly, the dealership presumably inspects and checks the cars inside-out before CPOing them. They also offer extended warranties on the cars to cover the aforementioned problems. If you bought a used, tracked car and the dealer failed to pinpoint any problems, you would have the dealer to blame. Of course, as Nick's problem showed us, it will be an uphill battle with some Porsche dealers/PCNA.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry if I sound suspicious, but my antenna goes up when I see a brand new user post thread with a major complaint...

Then people ask simple Questions, like wow you have a 991 Turbo S, and already have 12K miles on it and these problem, are you talking 997 or 991? And the questions are never again responded to.. Actually if you google around you will eventually find out the OP seems to have a 997 and not a 991, and if so isn't even posted in the proper forum..

Then I google the user ID and see it all over the place on Rennlist, planet-9 and other places.. Same user ID, brand new user. Same post, same questions from other users about the nature of the failure with no responses.. Even stranger I see user ID on other non Porsche forums, and then when I go there all of the posts are deleted.. Hmmmmm...

Maybe it is a legit gripe, and the OP is trying to do the 991 community a service by posting everywhere.. Although strangely enough on his blog (which has exactly 1 post) and all of the internet forums, there is never the mention of 991, just 911.. ..

But something seems fishy when I see posts like this, and I see them all over the internet. At a minimum, don't post stuff with a major complaint and not be willing to follow up.. I start to suspect a hack job for some reason... Since Nick's post on Lemon's seem to see lot's of weird activity and Trolls.. Not saying this is, but it's just weird....

Last edited by scatkins; 04-21-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM
jimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nice
Originally Posted by frank69m
Hmmm..You seem to be new here. Also, you have 12k on a Turbo S? Is it a 991? If it isn't why post here?

Also, I highly doubt, although possible, it is a 991 Turbo S because

1) Its too new to have 12k
2) If you did lease a Turbo S, it would be only a few months old and you have limited mileage limits on it so who would put 12k on it in a few months.

You might want to post in another non-991 forum if that is the case.

Also, wouldn't like to buy your car after you are done with your lease :-)
It was a 997.

Can you suggest a better forum for this post? I'm most interested in alerting potential buyers of a new Porsche who are considering PCCB.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
jimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nice
Originally Posted by scatkins
Since Nick's post on Lemon's seem to see lot's of weird activity and Trolls.. Not saying this is, but it's just weird....
Mine is a legitimate post and a real issue. The timing is pure coincidence, but the experience isn't unique to Nick. I've been treated poorly by PCNA since before my Turbo S was delivered in 2011, and my only recourse is the same as Nick's, to tell as many people as I can.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:38 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jimmy348
Mine is a legitimate post and a real issue. The timing is pure coincidence, but the experience isn't unique to Nick. I've been treated poorly by PCNA since before my Turbo S was delivered in 2011, and my only recourse is the same as Nick's, to tell as many people as I can.
The problem is that the brakes you have are super duper street car brakes, not endurance race brakes. The wear you experienced is not unusual given the use you describe, just expensive to deal with. Thats why most trackers go for steel disks. And why the replies here are so unsympathetic.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Seems to me that 900 miles of tracking a car could wear out rotors or pads and would just be considered a consumable wear item in that context.

Although it seems strange the rear rotors would fail before the fronts, as the fronts do most of the braking duty, at least that is how I thought it works.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
^

The OP did not answer any of my questions, but the rear pad wear has significant impact on rear rotor longevity. I would not be surprised that the rotors burned if the rear pads were not monitored for wear. Doing a search on rennlist and the GT2/3 section provides other's experience in this matter.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Although it seems strange the rear rotors would fail before the fronts, as the fronts do most of the braking duty, at least that is how I thought it works.
Exactly my point! That is why I believe that PTV is what burned out the rotors, and it wasn't just from the track miles. The hilly, twisty roads I drive have 10+ turns per mile which would activate torque vectoring almost continuously. If that's not covered by warranty, then Porsche shouldn't market the 911 for such use.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
And why the replies here are so unsympathetic.
Frankly, I'm not looking for sympathy. I have a wife, a dog and friends for that.

My goal is to inform and educate those who are like I was. I believed Porsche's marketing blarney about PCCB and trusted them when they said that they were 'more resistant to heat' than steel. Only after they burned out did the truth come out. Even now they won't tell prospective customers the truth about PCCB. If you drive your car hard on twisty roads, be prepared for expensive repairs.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
It was a 997.

Can you suggest a better forum for this post? I'm most interested in alerting potential buyers of a new Porsche who are considering PCCB.
How about 997 forums? At a minimum the 991 turbo or GT forums as I'm guessing there are more folks there that option with PCCB

I get that you are trying to "alert" everyone about an apparent wrong that has been done to you.. and posting to every 991 forums on the internet you can find... and that is your right..

But when you sign up with a brand new profile on every Porsche board with a pretty damning OEM gripe and then are vague as to details of what your car model, and don't respond to any detailed questions you are asked you definitely start smelling like a troll who is simply using the boards as your vent in hopes of furthering your cause. even if you are legit...

Nick for example, effectively used the boards to further his cause, but he had credibility because of the amount of time he had been around and provided a lot of input and knowledge with his videos for months.

You on the other hand created a link to a 1 post blog which is vague and doesn't even say what particular year or generation of 911 you have and it took you a while to admit it was a 997 because you probably felt it would diminish from your story in a 991 forum. And even now haven't really answered much in the way of questions folks ask trying to be helpful. I would have thought that you might have even asked if people had similar experiences, but you don't even seem to care as you aren't even posting on any 997 forums.. I'm not even sure the 997 and 991 PCCB are even the same design..

Last edited by scatkins; 04-21-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
^
The OP did not answer any of my questions, but the rear pad wear has significant impact on rear rotor longevity. I would not be surprised that the rotors burned if the rear pads were not monitored for wear. Doing a search on rennlist and the GT2/3 section provides other's experience in this matter.
I'm not sure what questions you have. I don't see a prior post from you.

As for negligence on my part, there was none. I took the car in for inspection before each track event and replaced any pads that had less than 50% remaining. So worn pads had nothing to do with the failure of the rotors. Every pad that was replaced had at least 30% remaining on it.

As for searching Rennlist, I have only recently become aware of its existence. I wish I had known about the PCCB issue before I bought the car because I very specifically wanted a car that I could track occasionally. (The Turbo S replaced a Targa 4S that I hadn't tracked.) The Porsche salesman was well aware of this intent but gave no warning about the risks to the PCCB. He, his sales manager, his general manager, the service manager and the dealership president all claimed ignorance of this problem. Even now, if you do a Google search on this subject, there is very little explicit waring about this situation.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm not even sure the 997 and 991 PCCB are even the same design..
The PCCB have not changed from 997 to 991.

Might I suggest a forum for general topics because PCCB are available on every model Porsche, and this problem does not have to be specific to the 911. That would be the most appropriate place for a post like mine.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure what questions you have. I don't see a prior post from you.
It's in the thread, bbywu asked reasonable questions........

But you got about the same chilly response from members on some other forums like planet-9, rennlist etc.. and you never really answered any questions.. thus the suspicion..

Good luck with your issue..

Last edited by scatkins; 04-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
It's in the thread, he asked reasonable questions........
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4096457

Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
The reason I ask these questions is that I have had 4 cars with PCCBs, 2 996s with gen 1 rotors, and 2 997s with gen 2 rotors. All my vehicles saw significant usage. Specific to the 997s, I found the rear pads wear much faster, and I changed my own pads, brake fluid, etc before events. I did not have the problems described above. I was curious to see if the OP was following specific steps in maintaining the ceramic rotors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes