So I took my 991 to the track......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drcollie
Actually the Novice drivers are what I prefer! They are a bit uneasy and you can teach them and they will listen. The guys that spook me the most are the fast Intermediates who are on the verge of going into the Advanced Group, because they know enough to go REALLY FAST - and yet lack the experience to know what to do if the car drops two wheels off or they get loose, or the guy in front of them goes sideways. !
Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight!
Whenever I sit in the car of an experienced advanced driver or instructor, what impresses me the most is not their speed but their level of control. There is a gap at most DE clubs where you do not find instructors ready to teach you how to react in a more dicey situation. Nothing replaces seat time, but I have had instructors who were nice enough to teach me how to drive under heavy rain, organized 'passing game' sessions with a couple of advanced drivers etc. This maybe goes beyond the mission of a simple DE and is is why more formal driving schools exist.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM
wsn124 is infamous around these parts
Question re' DPK

Can you recommend the best use of the DPK on track. I have a 2014 991 with DPK but have never been on track in DE with it. I have experience with 997 CS2 with manual transmission in several DE's and have really had a lot of fun. My car has "sport plus" option as well as "sport" only setting. Would manual shifting be preferable?

thanks, Bill

Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wsn124
Can you recommend the best use of the DPK on track. I have a 2014 991 with DPK but have never been on track in DE with it. I have experience with 997 CS2 with manual transmission in several DE's and have really had a lot of fun. My car has "sport plus" option as well as "sport" only setting. Would manual shifting be preferable?

thanks, Bill
I always run the car in Sport Plus w/ manual shifting of the PDK.
In normal circumstances, you would 99% of the time be just as fast leaving the PDK in Sport+ automatic mode, but you would miss part of the fun. Also, the PDK does not see the track and may choose to switch gear at a time that may unsettle the car. Even though I run the car in manual, it happened a few times to me because of this stupid undefeatable kickback feature.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:57 PM
John's 991 is infamous around these parts
I run on the track in Sport Plus, PDK in auto, wing locked up and usually with traction control off. I also turn off AC and radio, and set the screen on the dash to show the oil and water temps and pressures. I check the tire pressures before and after each session.

I think the PDK shifts well 95% of the time. There are usually a couple places at each track where I manually downshift to avoid the downshift when the throttle hits the floorboard. But even when it does downshift in the middle of the corner, the shifts are smooth enough that it barely upsets the balance.

As for upgrades, I am using Pagid pads, Castrol brake fluid and MPSS tires and the combination works really nicely. I am sure R Compounds would be a few seconds a lap faster, but I really like being able to drive comfortably to the track, run hard all day then turn on the satellite radio and AC and drive home in comfort again.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
John. those Pagids dont squeal like a bus off track?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM
PasPar2, I use Permatex brake pad lubricant (high temp grease basically) and make sure to bed the pads. I think bedding the pads makes the most difference, and when there is pad material on the rotors, they don't squeal much at all.

However, driving around town will "unbed" them (wear the brake pad material back off the rotors) and then YES, just like a bus. One person commented that my brakes sounded like I could stop a truck.

I take this as a sign that I need to get back to the track and truly re-bed them. If I was going to go more than a month or so without going to the track, I would probably swap back to OEM pads, but so far I have just left them in.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by John's 991
But even when it does downshift in the middle of the corner, the shifts are smooth enough that it barely upsets the balance.
True too! PDK is so quick that there is virtually no interruption of traction. But I would still feel better if it did not happen. I try not to completely floor it when I do not want the kickdown to interfere.

Strangely enough my Pagids RS29's never squealed the least bit. Maybe because I am running a Brembo BBK that is less squealing-prone than the stock system?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM
I am thinking of asking the dealer next time I am there if there is an easy way to disable that switch. But overall, not much to complain about. Regarding the brakes, most people with stock Porsche 991 brakes and the Pagid pads have problems with squealing. Could be that the Brembo's are somehow less prone.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
True too! PDK is so quick that there is virtually no interruption of traction. But I would still feel better if it did not happen. I try not to completely floor it when I do not want the kickdown to interfere.

Strangely enough my Pagids RS29's never squealed the least bit. Maybe because I am running a Brembo BBK that is less squealing-prone than the stock system?
It's the BBK. I had the same experience with my APs on my M3. It's strange.

I installed my RS29s, stock calipers, and they are singing every time I touch the brakes, lol.

I hate the kick down feature, really bothers me.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks all for advice on how to best utilize PDK on track! So far, after reading posts hear and watching John's videos I think I understand the limitations of using the automatic option. I'll post my experience after the next DE.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
In auto mode, Im actually a bit faster in some cases since it wants to downshift to the lowest gear it can all the time, so sometimes it will go to second, but Ill keep the car in third gear if its in manual mode. For me on certain tracks it drops to 2nd when I don't' want or need it too.

When you out there, play with it in both modes and see which you like.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 AM
What is the reason for turning traction control off? I've heard that from several people.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi WSN,
Personally, I turn off traction control for 3 primary reasons:

1. While the TC is good, it can be a bit intrusive when on the track and not let the car rotate as much as I would like, and actually slows things done a tiny bit

2. It allows the driver to be a little more in touch with what the car is actually doing, instead of having the TC fixing my little mistakes

3. It decreases brake temps and pad wear

With that said, I don't drive the 991S as absolutely hard as I could. I leave a bit of margin as I don't want to ball it up. I have an inexpensive Mustang race with a cage, HANS, etc. that is better suited for that last 10th.

If you have done several track days with it on, and you are comfortable with things like throttle steering and catching a small slide, you could turn it off for a session and see what you think. Needless to say, you need to be extra attentive but it might also bring to you attention where you could work on being smoother.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM
So without traction control it's easier to induce oversteer in corners; sort of like the cars used to be before these fancy handling options? Like you I'm not driving near the capability of the car. I'm just out there to have fun so I think I'll just leave it on and be willing to replace the pads and rotors more frequently. (I used to drive a sports racer in SCCA and going to DE's gives me a taste of the fun I had back then.)

Thanks for your response. I'm learning some things I didn't know about the car.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:18 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I leave the traction control "on" in my cars on track days and I'll tell you why....in two reasons:

1) There are no trophies being handed out

2) Even though I have 18 years experience as an Instructor, all it takes is one little slip-up to end up in the guardrail/armco/treeline or roll the car. I like that little safety margin because I REALLY don't want to go home on a flatbed.

The only time I turn off my traction control is during wet skidpad exercises. But its your car, your money - do what works for ya.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I took my 991 to the track......