So I took my 991 to the track......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:43 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drcollie
I leave the traction control "on" in my cars on track days and I'll tell you why....in two reasons: 1) There are no trophies being handed out 2) Even though I have 18 years experience as an Instructor, all it takes is one little slip-up to end up in the guardrail/armco/treeline or roll the car. I like that little safety margin because I REALLY don't want to go home on a flatbed. The only time I turn off my traction control is during wet skidpad exercises. But its your car, your money - do what works for ya.
I'm with ya on this Dr. !!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:52 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
I agree with previous posts. Although I did shut off traction control for a few laps, I really felt that I went slower - mostly because I was more anxious. My best laps were, ironically, in sport mode with the car shifting for me. Sport plus didn't change much for me (keep in mind Lime Rock is a short track and the car spends most of the time in 2-3 gear).

Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 PM
John's 991 is infamous around these parts
Agreed that it is important that you do what you are comfortable doing. But it is my personal experience that it is not wildly different, but you do have to make more frequent small corrections. But it is not like the car becomes impossible to drive all of a sudden.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 AM
lnirenberg is infamous around these parts
My $.02. I am, ahem, on the upper end of middle age and have been tracking for about 3 years maybe 25 days total. Last year was my 1st with the 991S (PDK) on track. I am a solid intermediate driver and have never had the confidence in a car I tracked as I have with the 991. BUT--
-Brakes: OEM pads lasted 3 PCA DE days last spring and literally crumbled when I had them changed. Brake fade to the point I felt I had to brake earlier as the session wore on. Had to replace with OEM until the aftermarket stuff started to hit the marketplace early last summer. High temp fluid change at least 2X a season and bleed after each track day, Stainless steel lines and am on my 2nd set of track biased pads 1st Pagid (very noisy) and now a yellow pad for which I can't find the invoice and don't recall the brand (the ravages of upper middle age) but just as competent as the Pagids and much quieter. I no longer get fade but the pedal does get softer the 2nd 1/2 of a session. If you are going to continue to track your car I strongly recommend a minimum better pads, high temp brake fluid and the braided lines.
-Safety: I'm not ready to change out the OEM seats yet so harnesses are not a option. At the suggestion of the track chair of the NER region of PCA, I added competition lap belts to supplement the OEM 3 Pts and it is a very cost effective way to keep me in my seat and save my knees, although I learned yesterday to always take the key out of the change pocket of my jeans before snugging up the belt.
PDK: Must fiddle with new toy so I tried the manual shifting but in the end the sports plus mode is amazing and I have learned to apply the brakes in a manner which almost always gets me 2nd gear into and out of corners. I did have a couple instances yesterday at NHMS turn 1 that as I started to bring more speed into this turn I had to manually grab 2nd gear.
Nannies:I do not mess as I have no aspirations to be Mario Andretti (at least not anymore) and although I have a multi-event track policy she/they have helped enough times that I will allow them to do their job. I have yet to find them invasive but I am generally so focus on all the other aspect of driving the car with reasonable competence that I have probably not been paying attention to her/they.

One last observation--in my 3 years tracking I have seen novices spin and go off track but the only drivers I have seen smack up their cars and sometime themselves are the advanced drivers. Yesterday an instructor was taking his student for a few laps in the students car and smacked it up pretty badly, can't imagine how that will play out. Save the testosterone for the boudoire!

If you are in CT I have all my work done a Mussante Motorsports and Chris and the boys are excellent. My next change is figuring out how to keep the pedal from getting softer as they heat up. It doesn't change my braking points and effectiveness but I find it disconcerting. Off topic: Any suggestion for fluid or brake cooling, new rotors etc would be appreciated because I would prefer to avoid the cash layout for complete replacement.

Have a blast and hopefully I will see you at a PCA event.

Last edited by lnirenberg; 05-21-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Lnirenberg, it is very sad and disappointing when an instructor crashes a student's car, although this is not the first time I have heard it happen. Like the majority of folks, whenever I drive another person's car, I never get close to the limit. Even when I drive others in my car, I am a bit more prudent then when I am by myself.

I agree that track pads and fluid make a big difference. I am currently using the Pagid's which can be loud (less so when bedded in) and I would be curious as to which pads you are using now that work as well but are quieter on the street.

Glad to see that you are enjoying your new car on the track! IMO, its the only way to really get a sense of its capabilities.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
lnirenberg, can you please post more info on said "competition lap belts"? what kind and where do they secure to? I have never heard of this. thanks.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lnirenberg
Nannies:I do not mess as I have no aspirations to be Mario Andretti (at least not anymore) and although I have a multi-event track policy she/they have helped enough times that I will allow them to do their job. I have yet to find them invasive but I am generally so focus on all the other aspect of driving the car with reasonable competence that I have probably not been paying attention to her/they.
I agree. I find a new 991 a bit expensive not to have a 'safety net' just in case, especially on faster tracks (while I do not care with the older M3's ). In Sport Plus, the threshold of PSM is raised and you can moderately oversteer, trail brake etc. without seeing the nannies interfere. This being said, even when you turn PSM off, it will turn on automatically if you push it too hard. I do not think there is a way to completely disable it.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM
lnirenberg is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PasPar2
lnirenberg, can you please post more info on said "competition lap belts"? what kind and where do they secure to? I have never heard of this. thanks.
They use the OEM mounting points shared with the OEM 3 pt belts. the outside mounts with an eye bold and the insides mount with a special bracket which I can't seem to find on line but they are out there. They are kind of L shaped to attach the belt higher than the outside due to space issues and they require the seats to be removed.

Re. brakes: I'm using Pagid RS29 now and they don't squeak near as much as the 1st set of Pagids I used that were not yellow. The latest plan is to change out the front rotors to these:
Girodisc slotted Front 350mm 2-piece Rotor Upgrade for Porsche 991 C4S/C2S
and use titanium shims. We shall see as I have a track day 6/2 and I should have everything in by then.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	belts 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	377299   Click image for larger version

Name:	belts 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	377300   Click image for larger version

Name:	belts 3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	510.2 KB
ID:	377301  
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM
I can't vouch for either of these guys, as I have never used their stuff, but they do offer the lap belt, tunnel side bracket and door side bracket for the 991

http://www.automotion.com/2012+porsc....html?cat=2483

http://www.rennline.com/Seats-and-Ac...products/1034/

Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 PM
TRM
TRM is infamous around these partsTRM is infamous around these parts
Glad you're on your way to becoming a "track rat" with the 991. Just a suggestion on your driving...it looks to me from the 2nd video you aren't looking far enough ahead into the turns (when making right turns). Maybe you are and the perspective of the camera just makes it look otherwise.

I recall this tip from early when I started to DE. The instructor (from NASA) told me to look to where the car is going 1/2 second or more ahead for example. You'll go faster than concentrating on what's right in front of you. To my surprise it works...I was faster because I was better at setting up for the turns. And he had a point...you're going so fast that it's pointless to look at what's right in front of you because you can't react fast enough regardless.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:28 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
One of the things you want to be mindful of when using aftermarket seat belts without a rollbar in the car is can you 'slide' out of them in the event you put the car upside down on the roof? If the belts will hold you in tightly to the seat and the car does go upside-down, then unless you get really lucky and the seat back breaks, the entire roof will be supported by the top of your helmet and your neck may get broken - you can die or be crippled for life.

The beauty of the factory 3-point belt on most any brand car is that in event of a roll-over and roof collapse your body will almost always slide out and you will be balled up over the console when they come to extract you. I've witnessed this many times at the track. There are lots of bruises but no serious injuries other than pride in most cases. As an Instructor, I won't wear a harness in a student's car even if they have them installed because of that reason.

You don't want to be held rigid in any seat unless there is something (roll bar or cage) to prevent a roof collapse. Here's two photos of a smacked up BMW M3's. You can see the car with the cage did well, the one that didn't have it - not so good.

Just be careful what you buy and think it through before you lay out your hard-earned cash. Have a safe track day!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01376-Medium_zpse7bc31e1.jpg
Views:	2231
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	377577   Click image for larger version

Name:	6346c05b43dc8a5b1cab10fa44a14e57_zps0c09ee58.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	377578  

Last edited by drcollie; 05-22-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drcollie
You don't want to be held rigid in any seat unless there is something (roll bar or cage) to prevent a roof collapse. Here's two photos of a smacked up BMW M3's. You can see the car with the cage did well, the one that didn't have it - not so good.
Very good point. Some people go for a 'harness bar' only which is a very bad choice.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Very good point. Some people go for a 'harness bar' only which is a very bad choice.
I think the Harness bar gig is fine for most autocrosses, where the speeds are less than 45 mph or so. I've seen many a car roll over in an Auto-X and most it usually does is knock the mirrors off and rumple the sheet metal. But on track days when there is that big 90 mph off - that's a different story. When I was heavy into track days, my M3 had a TC Kline Roll Bar and Schroth 6 points and I was going to put a Sparco seat in the car but sold it before that happened.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by PasPar2
Some people run CG-lock too: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html. I tried it occasionally (but have a roll bar, and 6-point harnesses in my 991) and it helps, but I am not sure how it fares safety-wise. Should not make 3 points seatbelts more or less safe I guess.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
I do have the CG locks.. was curious about the competition belts...