Anyone here have the Voice Control with their PCM and love it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Banned
PertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone here have the Voice Control with their PCM and love it?

Mine didnt come with it, and this past weekend and a couple others I have found myself in situations where I was driving and needed to enter an address for directions but could not safely divert my attention to enter the entire location by hand.

But for $1100 is it worth adding? It's about $600 in parts and about $500 in labor (the dealership said about a 3 hour job). I feel like in those 1/15 times I need it, the Voice Control module is essential. But for the majority of times, it's not something I would use a whole lot.

So, my question is, for those of you that have it, does it work close to perfectly when you verbally enter an address into the system or is it hit/miss, making this kind of a waste? Because if the quality sucks, the convenience allure becomes a moot point.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PertPlus
Mine didnt come with it, and this past weekend and a couple others I have found myself in situations where I was driving and needed to enter an address for directions but could not safely divert my attention to enter the entire location by hand.

But for $1100 is it worth adding? It's about $600 in parts and about $500 in labor (the dealership said about a 3 hour job). I feel like in those 1/15 times I need it, the Voice Control module is essential. But for the majority of times, it's not something I would use a whole lot.

So, my question is, for those of you that have it, does it work close to perfectly when you verbally enter an address into the system or is it hit/miss, making this kind of a waste? Because if the quality sucks, the convenience allure becomes a moot point.
Tried it out when I was originally working on my 991 build.. I found it completely useless, put it in the same useless category as the AHA app. Seemed like something I'd try out a couple of times and never use again.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scatkins
Tried it out when I was originally working on my 991 build.. I found it completely useless, put it in the same useless category as the AHA app. Seemed like something I'd try out a couple of times and never use again.
+1. I test drove a 4S a couple of weeks ago and found it to be more annoying than useful. Hell, I rarely use the PCM Navi to begin with. I find it infinitely easier to use Android's voice control and use Google Maps on my phone.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:55 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I got my car used, I mean "preowned" and have tried to use it a few times to make calls with minimum success. Idk maybe it's me, but I wouldn't rush out and buy it.
In fact when I went to the local dealer with my car to ask a question a salesman got in my car to help me out. He looked over and said "wow you have voice command, I have never even seen that in a 911". So I guess not many get this option.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Banned
PertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I got my car used, I mean "preowned" and have tried to use it a few times to make calls with minimum success. Idk maybe it's me, but I wouldn't rush out and buy it.
In fact when I went to the local dealer with my car to ask a question a salesman got in my car to help me out. He looked over and said "wow you have voice command, I have never even seen that in a 911". So I guess not many get this option.
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
+1. I test drove a 4S a couple of weeks ago and found it to be more annoying than useful. Hell, I rarely use the PCM Navi to begin with. I find it infinitely easier to use Android's voice control and use Google Maps on my phone.
Originally Posted by scatkins
On the phone the service guy was like "Yeah, we dont see too many of these in the cars". And I think what I was really harking back to was the Concierge Service for BMW where I could press a button from the car and have the Concierge (for like $200 a year subscription) send an address or POI directly to my navi and set as my destination. I think for $1000+, I dont know I would use it as much just for the navi purposes.

Thanks guys for your input, you just save me some nice $$$$. Next round of beers on me!