7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:23 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by naples991
Here we go again

There is a visceral feel to shifting the manual that supersedes the mechanical smoothness of the PDK
I don't think the OP was debating which was better/more efficient/or even which is faster. He just merely pointed out that on a drag strip with stock cars (not higher HP), with decent shifting, a manual clutch equipped car will suffer no noticeable loss to the PDK.

Obviously, as HP increases, those fractions of a second equate to MPH accelerated, and distance covered, etc... But I thought his experience was awesome, and I appreciate him sharing it. It does go against common experiences where the dual clutch equipped cars merely leave their single clutch equipped cars behind.

No debate here, just experiences shared.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
No debate here, just experiences shared.
Hilarious! Same here!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Time for another transmission poll:

Choose one: this topic will generate >50 posts or <50 posts

Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Mmm, entertainment

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	popcorn-icon.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	372992  
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alan

>50

The more insecure will take the bait and pull the hardest..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
The manual wouldn't have a shot. I am sorry I love a manual. I have had several sports cars with them. The only one who would defend say its speed is comparable is someone who bought a 7 speed.

The 7 speed is a lot of fun but it is not debatable, it just is not as quick.
The reason I was able to keep up was because I pre-selected the next gear prior to shifting....

Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ///armin
People still drive manuals? lol...it will be like pagers vs cell phones soon
Perfect candidate for autonomous cars speaks

Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
bumpinjeep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ///armin
People still drive manuals? lol...it will be like pagers vs cell phones soon
Yeah, they're called car enthusiasts. I know it seems weird to you.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:21 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bumpinjeep
Yeah, they're called car enthusiasts. I know it seems weird to you.

Right on!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 PM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan

Since PDK owners save all that time shifting I will guess >50 posts of mostly PDK owners

Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SxxB
FYI,

Attended a private car event and got to do a roughly a 1/4 mile pull from roll in my carrera 7mt c2s vs pdk c2s. We took off perfectly in sync and crossed the finish marker dead even, with two shifts in between. PDK car was not gaining whatsoever. We had about the same passenger weight in the car, so cars should've been fairly close in total weight. We didn't get a chance to go from the standing start because the other guy had to cut out early.

I thought I'd share because I've always wondered how much faster are the shifts vs properly driven manual.

PS. I do realize that PDK has advantage at launch, and likely on the race track when you're not concentrating on pulling off perfect shifts every time with a manual transmission.
A general rule I've guessed it translates to a .3 to .5 difference in a quarter mile.

BUT, are the gear ratios absolutely identical? Did he have 10+ extra gallons of gas? Gear in the trunk?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
And in my opinion we're forgetting about one thing. Every car can be a little different. Some cars will inherently be faster than other cars if it's the exact same car with the exact same specs.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Max4Speed is infamous around these parts
Doesn't matter how quick the PDK is, manual is still a manual

Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Soooooo....

Originally Posted by SxxB
FYI,

Attended a private car event and got to do a roughly a 1/4 mile pull from roll in my carrera 7mt c2s vs pdk c2s. We took off perfectly in sync and crossed the finish marker dead even, with two shifts in between. PDK car was not gaining whatsoever. We had about the same passenger weight in the car, so cars should've been fairly close in total weight. We didn't get a chance to go from the standing start because the other guy had to cut out early.

I thought I'd share because I've always wondered how much faster are the shifts vs properly driven manual.

PS. I do realize that PDK has advantage at launch, and likely on the race track when you're not concentrating on pulling off perfect shifts every time with a manual transmission.
That was my car! And, as the OP said, it was nearly identical. I did have a frunk full of stuff, and a full tank which I filled just prior to the event. My passenger and I are both over 220 lbs. Not sure how much that actually matters. We didn't try racing from a launch, just from a rolling start. I have PDK, in sport plus. All I had to do was mash the pedal!

Now, from a launch I am positive the difference would be significant. I will post some videos, including the race with the both of us racing from a roll. For comparison, I beat a Lambo Gallardo, Aston Martin, Audi R8 V10 manual(1 out of 3 times) from a launch.

And to add to the discussion, was at Lime Rock last month and completely demolished everyone else in my group, including 2 other 991S in my group, both of which were manual. Both of which were driven by very experienced drivers. So, as much fun as a manual is to drive, it simply cannot keep up with a PDK from a launch or at the track. Period.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
...And to add to the discussion, was at Lime Rock last month and completely demolished everyone else in my group, including 2 other 991S in my group, both of which were manual. Both of which were driven by very experienced drivers. So, as much fun as a manual is to drive, it simply cannot keep up with a PDK from a launch or at the track. Period.
^^^^this. This is why the racing industry has gone to the automatic. Might be sad for some, but it's the truth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk