7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
That was my car! And, as the OP said, it was nearly identical. I did have a frunk full of stuff, and a full tank which I filled just prior to the event. My passenger and I are both over 220 lbs. Not sure how much that actually matters.
That more than explains it, particularly from a standing start. You gave away about a .5 second and 5 car lengths in a 1/4 mile race to a car with equal torque and HP and a skilled shifter.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
My car is PDK and there are a few other 991 and 997 that are in our track group. It's evident that on the upshifts and down shifts I'm making up time on the manual cars.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:22 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
yeah PDK is damn quick.

but c'mon now.. a Porsche with a *****STICK ?

hahaha .. Jk.

But on a serious note; Manual for me. Unless you DD your car I cannot say anything cause I DD an auto 200-250 miles/day.

I am proud to be a raw manual driver who can do it with no PSM.

These new school kids think they're good with the computer doing all the work, but in reality they FREAK out even when the PCM is off. LOL

and then there's those who have HAD manual and understand and can properly drive a RWD, a 911 at that, but have moved on to PDK. Those guys are quick.. but if you are a true driver I'm sure you still have a 6speed in the stable somewhere.

If you don't , I know you miss it.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:38 PM
willyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nice
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
I did have a frunk full of stuff, and a full tank which I filled just prior to the event. My passenger and I are both over 220 lbs.
I don't want this to come across the wrong way, I'm just curious -- why did you bring a frunk full of stuff and a full tank of gas to a drag race event? And were you required to have a (giant) passenger? That is a whole lot of extra weight.

Congrats on the Gallardo and the R8 V10, those are solid scalps.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:30 PM
John's 991 is infamous around these parts
Its funny how these manual vs PDK posts pop up all over the place, both here and on Rennlist. It is possible that on a rolling start 1/4 mile drag there was not a discernible difference, but you can't come to the conclusion that that a manual is as fast. Even though I am sure you are an excellent driver and know how to shift well.

Personally, I have driven lots of manuals, including my Mustang race car and my last DE car, that was an E36 M3, but my 991S with PDK is just better. Much better. Up-shifts, down-shifts, throttle blips, launch, fuel economy, etc. But if you like manuals better, then great, although I think your days are numbered.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 PM
6speedRob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John's 991
Its funny how these manual vs PDK posts pop up all over the place, both here and on Rennlist. It is possible that on a rolling start 1/4 mile drag there was not a discernible difference, but you can't come to the conclusion that that a manual is as fast. Even though I am sure you are an excellent driver and know how to shift well.

Personally, I have driven lots of manuals, including my Mustang race car and my last DE car, that was an E36 M3, but my 991S with PDK is just better. Much better. Up-shifts, down-shifts, throttle blips, launch, fuel economy, etc. But if you like manuals better, then great, although I think your days are numbered.
The days of driving yourself are numbered. But hey the cars will lap faster than you ever have and you'll be able to witness the whole event on your iPhone without even being in the car! Now that's real progress.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM
AllForTheCash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AP1to911
anything cause I DD an auto 200-250 miles/day.
You drive 200-250 a day? I thought I had it bad with 110 a day!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 PM
John's 991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6speedRob
The days of driving yourself are numbered. But hey the cars will lap faster than you ever have and you'll be able to witness the whole event on your iPhone without even being in the car! Now that's real progress.
LOL, what luddism and hyperbole.

You could argue that ABS took away the need to learn brake feel, same with power brakes and power steering cause a loss of the "tactical feel" or connection with the car. Airbags and crush zones removed that extra thrill of potentially dying in a crash. Traction control disconnected you from the need to be that extra bit responsive to the car sliding.

The reality is they are just better and have become the standard, yet here we are driving and enjoying our cars. And frankly, if the automatic car takes some of the people who don't know how to drive off the road, improves traffic and saves lives, I am all for that too.

If you prefer shifting yourself, that's fine by me. But the thread is discussing if a manual can shift as fast as a PDK, and it can't. Nor is it likely that manual transmissions or cars sold with them will be making a comeback, so enjoy it while you can.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:13 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 6speedRob
...But hey the cars will lap faster than you ever have ...
Without the sarcasm, I found a little anecdote while reading about the GT-R (somewhat relevant):

Nissan calculated the GT-R (N-Attack) could run a 7:10 as a best possible scenario around the 'Ring, with all of that engineering and technology. Michael Krumm turned a 7:08. He did things the computers didn't calculate. I'd say that is a slap in the face of computers turning a better lap than people. However, it did take a skilled and experienced driver to outperform the 'predetermined' lap, but it is supporting evidence that people are still the greatest asset in a capable car.

This is EXTREMELY off topic, because the OP was not trying to say manual shifting was faster, just that the noticeable difference in a straight line for a very short period of time, with practically perfect shifts, against a dual clutch car with extra weight is very small (if not noticeable at all). That's all.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by willyspub
I don't want this to come across the wrong way, I'm just curious -- why did you bring a frunk full of stuff and a full tank of gas to a drag race event? And were you required to have a (giant) passenger? That is a whole lot of extra weight.

Congrats on the Gallardo and the R8 V10, those are solid scalps.
Well it was a private event for a local car club, just a chance to get together and meet and have a good time. Nothing formal, nothing recorded. I brought my car enthusiast 22 year old cousin along for the event, and he drove my car a few times. Its more about enjoying the cars and the day rather than being competitive. The full frunk is because I store stuff in there that I don't want my wife to lose lol, no other explanation. I only empty it for track days.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Even if as quick, manually shifting could never be as consistent, nor as consistently precise.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I thought Porsche made both PDK and MT because there were enough people out there that made both worth making. Why does one have to be better instead of different? And to the person who chooses one over the other it is better to him or her.
There on times on this forum when I'm not sure we've left high school yet. Enough all ready.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I thought Porsche made both PDK and MT because there were enough people out there that made both worth making. Why does one have to be better instead of different? And to the person who chooses one over the other it is better to him or her. There on times on this forum when I'm not sure we've left high school yet. Enough all ready.
+1. I wish I had one of each

Old 05-13-2014, 03:58 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I have a 7MT and have owned nothing but manual transmission cars for the last 40+ years. In my experience (street and track) I can tell you that there is no way a manual transmission can be shifted faster than a PDK ( or any other dual clutch for that matter ). It is just not possible. As fast as you think you can be, a person can't change gears in less than 0.100 seconds. A PDK can. Some of the more expensive street dual clutch transmissions can even approach 0.050 seconds (Ferrari, Lamborghini). Even the best racers in the world can't beat a dual clutch transmission. If they could there would be no reason to have the heavier, more complex transmissions in racing cars of pretty much every class.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Has anyone addressed the differences, if any, in gear ratios??

Originally Posted by 19hole
If they could there would be no reason to have the heavier, more complex transmissions in racing cars of pretty much every class.
I may be wrong, but I don't think dual-clutch transmissions are in any race cars except but very few. I believe they are almost all single clutch sequential. But your point is still valid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk