7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk

FYI,

Attended a private car event and got to do a roughly a 1/4 mile pull from roll in my carrera 7mt c2s vs pdk c2s. We took off perfectly in sync and crossed the finish marker dead even, with two shifts in between. PDK car was not gaining whatsoever. We had about the same passenger weight in the car, so cars should've been fairly close in total weight. We didn't get a chance to go from the standing start because the other guy had to cut out early.

I thought I'd share because I've always wondered how much faster are the shifts vs properly driven manual.

PS. I do realize that PDK has advantage at launch, and likely on the race track when you're not concentrating on pulling off perfect shifts every time with a manual transmission.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
The PDK driver was doing it wrong...

Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PasPar2
The PDK driver was doing it wrong...
Yeah, it's not physically possible to match the PDK w/ a manual. Was the guy in sport+ w/ WOT?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Although you mentioned the (noticeable) shift times. 2 shifts, sure - barely noticeable. Multiply that by thousands (like at a track event), and the differences start showing up.

Multiply that by tens of thousands (over an average year), I'm willing to bet the PDK will be just as efficient EVERY time, without "concentrating on pulling off perfect shifts every time".

2 things:
#1 Was the PDK car in Sport+?
#2 You've got to have some decent shifting skills, regardless of the PDK mode. Awesome driving!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Aren't F1 cars NOT shifted "manually" anymore for the very fact that a human can't physically shift as fast as the "auto" clutched computer-controlled tranny? I mean, aside from the nostalgia and the feeling one gets from an MT car (which I agree is awesome by the way!), the PDK technology just can't be beat when racing in just about any scenario.

Why stir-up this debate again with claims like this?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Properly driven the 7mt is a monster quite capable of defending itself nice write up, OP, thanks.

For those of us who maybe grew up on motorcycles from a very early age or something similar it's just sublime to push the 991 platform with the manual.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jawells1
Aren't F1 cars NOT shifted "manually" anymore for the very fact that a human can't physically shift as fast as the "auto" clutched computer-controlled tranny? I mean, aside from the nostalgia and the feeling one gets from an MT car (which I agree is awesome by the way!), the PDK technology just can't be beat when racing in just about any scenario.

Why stir-up this debate again with claims like this?
They are still shifted manually, it's just the clutch engagement/disengagement has been automated.

They (F1 Teams) could make them even faster than .05secs, but regulations prevent it. There must be a measurable pause between shifts. No CVT's permitted.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by AJag
Yeah, it's not physically possible to match the PDK w/ a manual. Was the guy in sport+ w/ WOT?
remember, the car is not standing still when it's shifted. so if there is any advantage in a quicker shift from a PDK the advantage is not noticeable. I have no idea what mode his transmission was in, or whether he had carpet under the accelerator, but I assume that he was doing things right... he was doing runs all day, with proper launches and all.

Last edited by SxxB; 05-09-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Although you mentioned the (noticeable) shift times. 2 shifts, sure - barely noticeable. Multiply that by thousands (like at a track event), and the differences start showing up.

Multiply that by tens of thousands (over an average year), I'm willing to bet the PDK will be just as efficient EVERY time, without "concentrating on pulling off perfect shifts every time".

2 things:
#1 Was the PDK car in Sport+?
#2 You've got to have some decent shifting skills, regardless of the PDK mode. Awesome driving!
no argument about PDK advantage building up at a lapping event..., I believe that the PDK was in all the right settings. it was a young guy, a car enthusiast, and was launching the car properly all day. And yes, i can shift very quickly....most of the time

Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Founder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nicoli
Properly driven the 7mt is a monster quite capable of defending itself nice write up, OP, thanks.

For those of us who maybe grew up on motorcycles from a very early age or something similar it's just sublime to push the 991 platform with the manual.
Being a sequential transmission, PDK feels more like a motorcycle to me than the 7MT. Just sayin.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Founder
Being a sequential transmission, PDK feels more like a motorcycle to me than the 7MT. Just sayin.
I don't believe that the PDK is a sequential transmission. It's a dual clutch transmission, with two input shafts (one for the even gears, one for the odd). Different technology.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Founder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I don't believe that the PDK is a sequential transmission. It's a dual clutch transmission, with two input shafts (one for the even gears, one for the odd). Different technology.
Ok, I meant sequential in that operationally it's up-or-down shifting, vs. an H-pattern with an MT. I guess in the case of the 7MT, it's almost a double-H!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
The manual wouldn't have a shot. I am sorry I love a manual. I have had several sports cars with them. The only one who would defend say its speed is comparable is someone who bought a 7 speed.

The 7 speed is a lot of fun but it is not debatable, it just is not as quick.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Here we go again

There is a visceral feel to shifting the manual that supersedes the mechanical smoothness of the PDK

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
People still drive manuals? lol...it will be like pagers vs cell phones soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 7mt can be shifted as quick as pdk