Bird Poop Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Bird Poop Damage

I got this really nice Porsche outdoor car cover so that I could occasionally leave the car outside and not have to keep raising and lowering the lift in order to take the '67 Sting Ray out. I highly recommend the cover as it's a perfect fit and looks good, too.

A bird dropped some really nasty stuff on it and I finally got around to cleaning it off. The closeup pictures shows how it caused the material to pucker up. Imagine what it would've done to the paint! Proof positive that you really need to clean off bird droppings and bug splatter ASAP to prevent the acids from doing damage.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3138.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	374606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3137.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	4.95 MB
ID:	374607  
Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 AM
John's 991 is infamous around these parts
Jeez, u must have flying ostriches where you live!

I think I have the same cover, and agree it works really well. I like the zipper, clip and drawstrings to keep it on, even in a storm.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Not sure what kind of bird left such a mess but today I saw a family of 5 peac*cks about a block away so maybe it was a peac*ck. That's Miami for you.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Hope that was a Woodstock bird, not a SoFL one

Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Wow Sani! Yeah, bird droppings or bombs in your case, definitely need to be removed ASAP from your finish. That cover saved you!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Ulukai is infamous around these parts
I will borrow this thread for one question.
What is the best way to remove bird droppings from the convertible roof?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ulukai
I would suggest some good convertible top cleaner and a firm bristled brush. Porsche makes a good cleaner but I'm sure there are others as well. As the OP mentioned, the sooner you clean it off, the better.

I always try just normal wash soap and water and the brush. If that doesn't work, then move on to the stronger washes.

Keeping the top clean and conditioned will also help. The water repellant treatment should help keep the poop from getting into the fabric.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Simple water in a spray bottle is sufficient when you are able to get it when "fresh". I used to carry around a small bottle and when I came out to my car and would see bird poo on the top I would pull it out and just squirt at with a stream... 99% of the time it would clean most if not all of the stuff off. I would resort to chemicals if there were a spot left behind after I rinsed it off. but definitely you don't want poo to dry and harden on the top, or anywhere else for that matter! So even though I wouldn't have enough time to do a thorough cleaning, I could at least put up a defense!

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I have a water bottle at hand now if the birds are acting bad. With the red roof it is like a bombing zone for them.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Spathiinc has a spectacular aura aboutSpathiinc has a spectacular aura about
From the detailing section, "Poop-Off" has gotten high praise for removing bird poop from cab roofs.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Blotting club soda has worked for me. Like mentioned, having the cab protective spray helps a lot for preventive maintenance.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 PM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
I would consider applying GTechniq Fabric Coating - should make a significant difference in your maintenance.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
I would consider applying GTechniq Fabric Coating - should make a significant difference in your maintenance.
It seems very good but it says its solvent based and what if it makes some ugly marks on the red roof? Maybe it dilutes the red paint in the fabric.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
It seems very good but it says its solvent based and what if it makes some ugly marks on the red roof? Maybe it dilutes the red paint in the fabric.
I would first call Kevin at Gtechniq and discuss the application with him. And assuming it's no problem to apply, (and that would be my guess) I would still test a small out of the way spot just to make sure before I would coat the entire roof. The stuff is really amazing and I coated my carpets, mats and frunk interior with it.

Phone: 866.561.0487
KevinAwalt@GTechniqNA.com

Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 AM
I will mail him. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bird Poop Damage