Question: Oil Change Notification

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Question: Oil Change Notification

Just yesterday I started receiving the below notification each time I start the car... I have just a bit over 3k miles since November '13 on my 2014 C4S. No track time or anything, just some spirited driving.

Question is, do I really need an oil change in 29 days? No way possible I'd cover 6,400 miles in that time! For that matter, I'd be surprised if I covered more than a few hundred miles.

I know some still believe in changing oil every couple thousand miles, but I don't. I don't have any problem DIY oil change, and probably will. Just looking for experience, thoughts on whether it is really necessary. And, do I have to get the computer reset or something if I change my own?

Thanks!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474_zps0f46cc56.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	380786  
Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jawells1
Just yesterday I started receiving the below notification each time I start the car... I have just a bit over 3k miles since November '13 on my 2014 C4S. No track time or anything, just some spirited driving. Question is, do I really need an oil change in 29 days? No way possible I'd cover 6,400 miles in that time! For that matter, I'd be surprised if I covered more than a few hundred miles. I know some still believe in changing oil every couple thousand miles, but I don't. I don't have any problem DIY oil change, and probably will. Just looking for experience, thoughts on whether it is really necessary. And, do I have to get the computer reset or something if I change my own? Thanks!!!!! [/URL][/IMG]

The carriage won't turn into a pumpkin at midnight..

And It's at a year or 10k miles whichever comes first.. (From what I hear there a lot of cases of the indication coming up early)..

Personally I'd do it at 5 or 6k, but that's an endless and contentious debate that's been played out on numerous threads..in any case sounds like you don't need to worry about it yet..

Old 05-31-2014, 01:04 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
I believe it comes up at the one year mark no matter mileage...and yes, dealer reset unless you have the proper computer and plug in tool.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:53 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Yeah, I have five days left with 3200 miles on the clock.

I hate the thought of leaving my car at the dealership for an oil change, as I dread the thought of the 'lot" guy even sitting in my car. I'll probably take the car to my friend's shop and wait for the oil change. He has the tool for resetting the warning indicator.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:36 AM
rjn21 is infamous around these partsrjn21 is infamous around these parts
There is a software update for service lights coming on too early. As far as I'm aware it doesn't use Condition Based Servicing like BMW, its just miles or time whichever is earlier. It may vary by jurisdiction as UK is 20k miles or 2 years.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Thanks, All! I just thought it was odd that I am only 7 months in, not close to 12, and nowhere near 10k miles, and started getting this startup message. Oil level looks ok, no other notifications or messages.

I'll ask the dealer to reset....

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
The notification is programmed into the car from the factory. For example, if you have an October build, but you purchased the car in December, the notification will assume that the one year mark will be reached next October (and not when you purchased it in December).

Hence, the early notification. I've been receiving the same notification, even though I'm 3-4 months away from my 1st anniversary.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 PM
2cardinalalums is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
The notification is programmed into the car from the factory.
I believe the car is reset at dealer prep. My car is showing me 1 year from when it arrived state-side (not from my Euro delivery date, nor from the factory build date).

Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
I believe the car is reset at dealer prep. My car is showing me 1 year from when it arrived state-side (not from my Euro delivery date, nor from the factory build date).
Sounds like it may be something the dealer should be doing, but there are a few examples of this early notification message syncing with the build date, rather than the purchase date.