Installed the AWE Switchpath today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Installed the AWE Switchpath today

This is a very easy install, all you need is some basic hand tools and to jack the back of the car up. I've had motorcycle exhausts harder to do that this and it was only 90 minutes work, start to finish (most of that time was spend fussing about on the tip alignments). Rear bumper cover does not need to come off, but you will need a female TORX socket, a hex head socket, a long 3/8" extension and a short 'wobble' extension to do the work in addition to standard metric sockets.

It's a well made pipe and fitment is excellent. Welds are all good. The kit they send is not quite ready to install on 2014 991 S. You will need to supplement the kit by having a 1/8" to 1/8" vacuum hose coupler to supplement the one they do supply. On the 2014's two are required and they only send one. Its a $ 2 part, just have one handy.

The pipe is louder than I expected This is far and above the PSE exhaust and I have to try it out a few days to see if its going to be acceptable. You can keep it fairly civil at low revs but once you hit the gas the valves open up and its a screamer. It will draw attention in full song, that's for sure. If it was 20% softer in tone it would be perfect for me. Doubt I will go back to the stock pipes, but I may try to baffle this one down a bit .... we will see!

Last edited by drcollie; 06-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by drcollie
I have to try it out a few days to see if its going to be acceptable... I may drive to baffle this one down a bit ....
Man, you're getting old!

After I read the description of this system, I figured that it would be too loud, but I'm glad that you're here to test all of these systems for us until we find one acceptable for gentlemen of our stature.

Every time I put my foot in the gas and I hear that nice exhaust sound, I have to remind myself that it's just the resonance tube and the exhaust does still sound like squirrel farts. Some days I do miss my 964.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
The 'loud' mode is intoxicating and will keep growing on you. I am probably running it 80% of the time. I stay in quiet mode in my neighborhood and around the office but thats about it. It is true that it can be loud when you step on it, even in quiet mode, but then, you usually do not go WOT in a dense residential area or around the corner of your own house.

The quiet mode is definitely quiet enough IMHO, so I am happy that the loud mode sounds different than PSE.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM
dxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud ofdxb4232 has much to be proud of
Congrats on the AWE's =D
Any chance you'd share a video? Would love to hear their sound

Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
The kit they send is not quite ready to install on 2014 991 S. You will need to supplement the kit by having a 1/8" to 1/8" vacuum hose coupler to supplement the one they do supply. On the 2014's two are required and they only send one. Its a $ 2 part, just have one handy.
Duane, is your car a PSE-equipped car? Let me know.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute

No "squirrel farts" once you install one of these! It roars... I don't have the PSE, but the stock exhaust still have the vacuum valves that actuate, just done automatically by pressure instead of having a switch control. I know that if I find it too loud, I can simply go in there and plug off the valve actuator on the AWE Switchpath with a simple rubber plug (5 minutes) and keep them closed.

Zack, on the 2014 S 991, the one coupler they include with the kit goes on the driver's side, but they need to include a second one for the passenger side setup, as there is no 'T-junction to tie into as per their directions, a coupler is mandatory to hook it up. Perhaps they changed the design at Porsche for 2014? Not a big deal as a coupler is $ 2 at the auto parts store - it just saves the hassle of having to hike out for one.

I'll have to get the GO PRO out and do a video.

P.S. This is like 10x easier than putting a pipe on an Aston Martin Vantage! Easy to do yourself if you have basic skills and a halfway decent toolbox.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AWE2_zpsca5f6283.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	382103   Click image for larger version

Name:	AWE_zpsfb0aad9a.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	382104  

Last edited by drcollie; 06-03-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Duane, I just wanted to let you know that we have specific kits for PSE vs. non-PSE cars, this isn't a 2014 issue.

I'm sending you a PM now.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Zack, on the 2014 S 991, the one coupler they include with the kit goes on the driver's side, but they need to include a second one for the passenger side setup, as there is no 'T-junction to tie into as per their directions, a coupler is mandatory to hook it up. Perhaps they changed the design at Porsche for 2014? Not a big deal as a coupler is $ 2 at the auto parts store - it just saves the hassle of having to hike out for one.
My 2014 looked the same as the directions.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Zack/AWE
Duane, I just wanted to let you know that we have specific kits for PSE vs. non-PSE cars, this isn't a 2014 issue.

I'm sending you a PM now.
I believe I was sent the right unit (Non-PSE) but I needed an additional in-line vacuum coupler for each side to connect the hoses, There was only one in the cello-wrap, and no other connection parts (such at a T-Connector). The instruction print-out diagram would not work on my car regarding the line hookup. Like I said though, a very simple fix, I just required a second coupler and they are readily available at any auto parts store.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe I was sent the right unit (Non-PSE) but I needed an additional in-line vacuum coupler for each side to connect the hoses, There was only one in the cello-wrap, and no other connection parts (such at a T-Connector). The instruction print-out diagram would not work on my car regarding the line hookup. Like I said though, a very simple fix, I just required a second coupler and they are readily available at any auto parts store.
Ah, that makes sense. Mine came with these parts. It sounds like you indeed did get non-PSE version.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0U9A5156.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	382365  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 PM
I took the car out for a proper run with the new pipe on it tonight and my initial impressions are confirmed. Its far too loud for me, and thats really disappointing as its a nicely made unit and the tips are so much better looking than stock. Ran the car over to my fellow local PCA member's houses and they also thought it too loud for Fairfax VA suburbia. If my car was a dedicated track car it would be perfect - but I can't have it on as a street car.

In looking at the way the pipe is made, it appears to be the outside two tips run through the fender well mufflers, and the inside tips come straight back from the Cats through the AWE Switchpath. Therefore it may be possible to install a motorcycle-type baffle on the inner two pipes to quiet the system to an acceptable level.

We took my car out and my pal Jim's 991 S with PSE on it and ran then down the road side by side to try to gauge noise levels. I'd say the AWE unit is easily twice as loud as the factory Sport Exhaust with the latter switched open.

Bummer for me! I'd like to have some tone over the stock pipe, but not something that is as dominating and strong as this pipe.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Money2536
Ah, that makes sense. Mine came with these parts. It sounds like you indeed did get non-PSE version.
Duane and I were able to determine that he received the proper non-PSE hardware kit.

I took the car out for a proper run with the new pipe on it tonight and my initial impressions are confirmed. Its far too loud for me, and thats really disappointing as its a nicely made unit and the tips are so much better looking than stock. Ran the car over to my fellow local PCA member's houses and they also thought it too loud for Fairfax VA suburbia. If my car was a dedicated track car it would be perfect - but I can't have it on as a street car.

In looking at the way the pipe is made, it appears to be the outside two tips run through the fender well mufflers, and the inside tips come straight back from the Cats through the AWE Switchpath. Therefore it may be possible to install a motorcycle-type baffle on the inner two pipes to quiet the system to an acceptable level.

We took my car out and my pal Jim's 991 S with PSE on it and ran then down the road side by side to try to gauge noise levels. I'd say the AWE unit is easily twice as loud as the factory Sport Exhaust with the latter switched open.

Bummer for me! I'd like to have some tone over the stock pipe, but not something that is as dominating and strong as this pipe.
Duane,

Given your concerns about volume regardless of throttle position, something doesn't sound right here. Sending you another PM.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Just got back in from removing the AWE Switchpath and re-installing the stock exhaust with the car on the jacks at 7 a.m. 90 minutes from on the jacks to off the jacks doing the conversion back to stock. What a shame....beautifully made pipe, the exhaust tips are tremendous, but it was just too loud. Two of my fellow 991 owners agreed last night and one of the wives came out of the house and complained a little as well that it was too noisy for their neighborhood! Even at idle, we could feel the floor of the car vibrate like there was a giant subwoofer in the back and it basically renders the stereo or trying to use the phone on bluetooth useless. Would be great for a track car, however.

Getting the stock pipe back into the car was very tricky, it comes out pretty easy but its a chore to fit back in there without pulling the bumper cover. By using a floor jack and a block of wood under the stock exhaust I was able to manipulate it back in but the angle has to be exact.

Zach, I'm going to have to take you up on the offer to return the pipe with the "Sound Satisfaction Guarantee". If your team can build one that is more civilized and say just slightly above the Porsche Sport Exhaust levels by no more than 10% in dB's, then I'd be in the market for one. You can test this pipe out when it comes back to see if its defective but it appeared to be in working order with the valve actuators free and easy. I'm not trying to slam your product, I realize your concerns about a forum post like this and how it can hurt sales, and I try to give it a fair review and put other ears on it as well, which is why I took it around to all my fellow PCA buddies for their opinion. We were all unanimous in thinking its too much for a daily driver kind of thing, sorry.

Last edited by drcollie; 06-04-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Capsfan is infamous around these parts
help me install it and I will buy it from you. I am in NoVA as well.

Just got back in from removing the AWE Switchpath and re-installing the stock exhaust with the car on the jacks at 7 a.m. 90 minutes from on the jacks to off the jacks doing the conversion back to stock. What a shame....beautifully made pipe, the exhaust tips are tremendous, but it was just too loud. Two of my fellow 991 owners agreed last night and one of the wives came out of the house and complained a little as well that it was too noisy for their neighborhood! Even at idle, we could feel the floor of the car vibrate like there was a giant subwoofer in the back and it basically renders the stereo or trying to use the phone on bluetooth useless. Would be great for a track car, however.

Getting the stock pipe back into the car was very tricky, it comes out pretty easy but its a chore to fit back in there without pulling the bumper cover. By using a floor jack and a block of wood under the stock exhaust I was able to manipulate it back in but the angle has to be exact.

Zach, I'm going to have to take you up on the offer to return the pipe with the "Sound Satisfaction Guarantee". If your team can build one that is more civilized and say just slightly above the Porsche Sport Exhaust levels by no more than 10% in dB's, then I'd be in the market for one. You can test this pipe out when it comes back to see if its defective but it appeared to be in working order with the valve actuators free and easy. I'm not trying to slam your product, I realize your concerns about a forum post like this and how it can hurt sales, and I try to give it a fair review and put other ears on it as well, which is why I took it around to all my fellow PCA buddies for their opinion. We were all unanimous in thinking its too much for a daily driver kind of thing, sorry.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor
Duane, that's a shame you pulled it off the car so quick, I just sent you a message prior to your post.

From your description it, sounds like the vacuum system was not functioning properly, whether from improper vacuum line routing/installation, or possible vacuum solenoid failure (see Porsche's WC-43 campaign, outlined by Serge, HERE).

With the SwitchPath installed properly, it should not have sounded like a race car with normal driving, especially not at idle for that matter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed the AWE Switchpath today