991 base for the City?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Dan991C4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 540Oak
Great idea!
Sometimes the dealer will have a C4 that will sit in inventory longer and will deal more. The C4 is the lowest sales volume model, but who cares if you get the right amount $ off and it's the car YOU want.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dan991C4
Sometimes the dealer will have a C4 that will sit in inventory longer and will deal more. The C4 is the lowest sales volume model, but who cares if you get the right amount $ off and it's the car YOU want.
Never knew that..I though C4 and C4s were quite popular. That wide body is awesome!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Never knew that..I though C4 and C4s were quite popular. That wide body is awesome!
The C4 is a slow seller.
The C4S sells like hot pankakes.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Well I was told that the C4 sells the least in terms of the C2, C2S, C4S, C4. I believe the sales stats show that. But what I was saying is that if a dealer has a C4 lot car it may be worth comparing to the C2 base. Especially late in the model year the deal on a lot car can be 10-12% off.

And yes! The wide body rear is awesome.

My first Porsche was my current C4 but my next will be the C4S after I figure out how to drive the C4!

Last edited by Dan991C4; 08-03-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawc
I'm saying it's so powerful, that you have to drive it really fast to feel like you're going fast, whereas with the Cayman, a slower speed felt fast because it was not a massively fast car.

A little confusing, let me use this analogy if I may.

A 600cc sport bike often feels faster than 1000cc sport bike because the 1000cc is just massively capable.

Get the 991 base. Just do it. You'll love it.

Here's a pic of mine I took today:

I don't get your analogies completely, but....

IMHO no 600 feels like a 1000. A 600's power is tame and low in the powerband it's super weak (almost non-existent). My 1000's power is extremely strong from right off idle, and the acceleration is incredible (understatement). I've never ridden a bike that has this level of power and such a wide power spread. Then again, Ferrari designed the motor, and mine is pushing 195 hp with the factory race ecu, cat-less mid-pipe, and race RG3 exhaust system (all MV Agusta factory parts). As for base Carrera vs. a base Cayman, of course it feels faster. the 2.9 Cayman isn't going to excite like the 3.4. There's no replacement for displacement as they say. You should be comparing the Cayman S to the base Carrera since they share the same motor. In that battle, the Cayman S wins hands down in every performance mark you can measure, especially in the fun factor if you like a car that hugs corners. You should really consider the Cayman GTS as it's not ordinary and will continue to excite since it'll be something uncommon. You'll especially appreciate it if you ever take it to the track. Two words: corner speed!! The Carrera is a nicer looking car, but it's hard to place that over driving dynamics. To me, anyway.

Last edited by Steve997S; 08-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Having saying all that about the 911, the wife and I went to movies and walked..as I was walking up to the lights I saw a CS..I must say it looked pretty nice

Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
I think the OP has to figure out what kind of driving tickles his fancy !
-1- straight line accelleration
-2- attacking the corners

If the answer is -1-, get the turbo.
If the answer is -2-, get the C2 or the C4

To go with the sportbikes, the C2 can hang and outrun the sportsbikes in the corners, but they will blow by you on the straigths !
With the turbo you might stand a chance on the straights too depending on conditions.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve997S
You should be comparing the Cayman S to the base Carrera since they share the same motor. In that battle, the Cayman S wins hands down in every performance mark you can measure, especially in the fun factor if you like a car that hugs corners.
From all the articles I've read it's not quite as big as a slam-dunk as you make it sound. The consensus seems to be the 981S handles better but the 991 is still the faster car around the track and still out accelerates it.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I live in the D.C. area and drive my C4 mostly on weekends. My P4S is my daily driver. My C4, which has the Chrono Package, amplified exhaust, and MT, is an unmitigated blast to drive. I feel I really don't need the additional HP that the S would provide with this car...but that's just me...because this 991 is already quite nimble and quick. Frankly, having once owned a 500+ HP M6, I agree with those here who have mentioned that there really isn't much occassion in urban settings to wind-out these cars.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM
1analguy is infamous around these parts
I always swear that I'll never own another black car, but holy cow is this car gorgeous!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 1analguy
I always swear that I'll never own another black car, but holy cow is this car gorgeous!
I am trading my car in for black now

Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Ha, yeah black is great for about 3 or 4 days if you're lucky, then it enviably gets dirty. Less in the winter. I wash my car religiously once a week all year round. I've owned nothing but black cars since 1994. Sometimes I think I'll go dark grey or silver or white, but in the end I keep coming back to black.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:53 PM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Ha, yeah black is great for about 3 or 4 days if you're lucky, then it enviably gets dirty. Less in the winter. I wash my car religiously once a week all year round. I've owned nothing but black cars since 1994. Sometimes I think I'll go dark grey or silver or white, but in the end I keep coming back to black.
My last 2 cars were black. It is an amazing look when clean...

Old 08-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by 1analguy
Very nice!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
From all the articles I've read it's not quite as big as a slam-dunk as you make it sound. The consensus seems to be the 981S handles better but the 991 is still the faster car around the track and still out accelerates it.
Not true. The 2 industry standard tracks used for all European car performance comparisons has the 981S beating the base 991 at both venues. Nurburgring and Hockenheim-short which covers both corning and power. But my point is more about sourcing the top of the line of something versus the entry level. Cash is about the same. The GTS will dramatically outperform the base 991, and will be far more cool to own. I just don't see any defense for the base 991 at this price point (new v new). Major mistake by Porsche to abandon the 3.6L motor and place performance underneath the Cayman S, albeit even by a slim margin. Since the OP doesn't need nor want the rear seats, seems a no brainer if you want the quicker and better performing Porsche. If you don't and just have to have a 991, that's cool too. It's a beautiful car with close to same performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 base for the City?