991 base for the City?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Skeptikal12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Statements from 6:20 to 6:43 sums it all up. Case closed!!

2013 Porsche Cayman S Thrashed - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

Case re-opened?

8:12-8:40

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Why, because I offer valid points on a 991 sub-board? For sure I'm far more objective than you. Truth is, both the base Carrera and 981S are very similar in capability. Give the edge to the Carrera for iconic appeal and practicality, and the edge to the 981 in agility. Ultimately Porsche screwed the base Carrera with a smaller motor to widen the gap between it and the S. They did the same thing to the 981 base cars by giving it a 2.7 (987 base was a 2.9). Aside from the excellent looks of the base Carrera, why on earth would you spend that money (nearly $100K) and not go a little further on the S? It makes no sense. Especially when residual value always favors the S cars. It's equally important the car's future value as is initial cost. The only people I see driving base cars are non-enthusiasts and the elderly. They leave you wanting. The base 991 is no different.

As for Nurburgring, if you've never driven it, you shouldn't talk about it. No track on earth compares. You have to experience it to understand it. It's easy to over drive your car. Never once did I go there without seeing nice cars in crunched up piles, including Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Vipers, GT40s, Mercs, Minis, etc. All my laps were a compromise of a heavy foot and wanting to ensure I could drive my car home at the end of the day. In the end, I still put credibility in the official posted laps as those guys are a good baseline and try to stay somewhere between a very hot lap and a safe lap. Plus, the German magazines are far more credible than anything published in the US. You have to get over the mindset that America does things as well if not better than others. It certainly isn't the case when it comes to magazines. I haven't touched a Car and Driver or Road and Track in more than a decade for good reason. There's nothing worth reading in them.
^ Makes no sense - you are just trolling.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Skeptikal12
If not an S, I doubt he would be making those same statements. No argument on the S, the 3.8 is a fantastic motor. I miss it.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM
If not an S, I doubt he would be making those same statements. No argument on the S, the 3.8 is a fantastic motor. I miss it.
He was talking about engine configuration.

Sounds like you bought the wrong car. Should just sell the Cayman and get a Boxster S (slightly faster & cheaper) or just get a 991.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
He was talking about engine configuration.

Sounds like you bought the wrong car. Should just sell the Cayman and get a Boxster S (slightly faster & cheaper) or just get a 991.
When you have this in the garage, you don't consider too many cars as fast. I don't base car purchase decisions on hp. I base them on what's most fun to drive. At some point I'll trade my car on a Cayman GTS. Wish it came with PDCC. I'd rather have something you can wring the neck of a bit without getting in too much trouble. The 991 S is overkill for North America. So is my bike, but I bought it when I still lived in Germany. I've been 195 mph on it--legally. It was still accelerating.

BTW, guess what box stock motorcycle holds the fastest lap at Nurburgring. You're looking at it (7:21). Mine has 195 ponies and weighs a little over 400 pounds thanks to some factory race parts including a race ecu.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000194.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	398874  
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 AM
When you have this in the garage, you don't consider too many cars as fast. I don't base car purchase decisions on hp. I base them on what's most fun to drive. At some point I'll trade my car on a Cayman GTS. Wish it came with PDCC. I'd rather have something you can wring the neck of a bit without getting in too much trouble. The 991 S is overkill for North America. So is my bike, but I bought it when I still lived in Germany. I've been 195 mph on it--legally. It was still accelerating.

BTW, guess what box stock motorcycle holds the fastest lap at Nurburgring. You're looking at it (7:21). Mine has 195 ponies and weighs a little over 400 pounds thanks to some factory race parts including a race ecu.
Yeah.... really does sound like you bought the wrong car.

Back to the OPs question. I think its more than enough, but if money was no object, would suggest a 4S.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
Yeah.... really does sound like you bought the wrong car.

Back to the OPs question. I think its more than enough, but if money was no object, would suggest a 4S.
There is no "wrong car", just a matter of preference and budget.

The Cayman s and gts both have their qualities, so does the base 991. The Cayman s comes in at a good price point and is its performance would be indistinguishable as the base 991 to the average driver (of which im sure most of us are).

The GTS is alot to pay for a Cayman, but again comes fully loaded. You would pay alot more to spec a base 991 the same way.

The base 991 is my preferred car, enough has been said of its qualities and faults.

Good luck with your choice OP

Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Different strokes for different folks. With these cars it seldom is an age, gender, or income thing. To say so is being more uninformed than demeaning. I came to my '13 991 C4 from a '13 981 Boxster S and, as much fun as the 981 was, still feel like I made the right choice for me. I disagree that Porsche blurred the lines between the 981 and the 991 when the 981S is compared with the 991 "base". I think the company merely gave those who enjoy mid-engined roadsters more to like. The 991 and 981 are very different automobiles. I actually feel like the 981S made me appreciate what Porsche cars are capable of doing...but I would hesitate to take it for a road trip. For me, the 981S was the perfect weekend fun car. In this connection, to me, the 991 is a sports car that can also be a DD, a track car, and a tourer. For my lifestyle and location, the 981 would not work well for me...fortunately, I had (and still have) my P4S for every day and any weather driving. That said, I wish (and one day I plan) to have the lifestyle that affords and supports a spirited roadster as an everyday car. Now, as between the 991 and 991S cars, I chose the former because I really don't need that additional HP. I'm intrigued as hell about the Turbo S version and not for the quickness and speed, but for the engineering...intelligent AWD and 4-wheel steering just for starters. However, to go there would be an epic struggle with the pragmatist in me. I like to think that I could find a way to win that one though!

So, let's find a way to disagree without being disagreeable.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM
vangulik42 is infamous around these parts
The only people I see driving base cars are non-enthusiasts and the elderly. They leave you wanting. The base 991 is no different.
Please note that the "elderly" constitute a Federally "protected class".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Online disparaging remarks about the elderly and members of all other protected classes should be avoided.

As a still employed full time technical professional in my mid-70's, who is also still physically active and capable of out-running most persons half my age at middle distances, I find it less than welcome.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by vangulik42
Please note that the "elderly" constitute a Federally "protected class".

Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Online disparaging remarks about the elderly and members of all other protected classes should be avoided.

As a still employed full time technical professional in my mid-70's, who is also still physically active and capable of out-running most persons half my age at middle distances, I find it less than welcome.
It's only disparaging because you took it that way. I've been a member of 2 PCA regions and it's an observation, plain and simple. An observation I've seen repeated throughout my years well into middle age. It's a fact of many more expensive products that the median age of buyers is somewhat north of what some might expect. For example, the median age of first time new Harley-Davidson buyers is 55. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche is near the same. I'm upper middle aged and one of the youngest at every PCA gathering in my region. Usually by a decade if not more. Rarely do I see one of the members older than I with anything but a base model (or a classic). It may be a small sample but it's an observation born from fact through my eyes.

As for you, good on you for still being active at your age. I also am extremely physically fit. I run or cycle 7 days a week. At 49 (my last active duty fit test before retirement), I posted a 1.5 mile time of 9:07. I crossed the mile point at 5:50. I live for fitness.

I doubt I'll get it, but you owe me an apology for assuming my reference to the elderly was negative in any way. Quite unfair of you to displace that upon me. I stand by my observation. I hope you're of good character and publicly apologize.

Last edited by Steve997S; 08-10-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
86 posts about something you'll never get anyone to agree about? Who's sick of seeing the squabbling?

PORSCHE makes DIFFERENT models for DIFFERENT buyers for a reason!!

Like seriously, who gives a rats *** about tenths of seconds around a track? Obviously most people buying these cars aren't hanging around the track all day. Especially some track in Germany. This post was started talking about city driving!!

Let's put the nail in this coffin.

(By the way -- the 991 tops them all!)

Done!!!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
You might as well start a post about what women are more attractive, blondes, brunettes, red heads, blah blah blah .....

Which one will do 0-60 the fastest??

Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 PM
vangulik42 is infamous around these parts
I doubt I'll get it, but you owe me an apology for assuming my reference to the elderly was negative in any way. Quite unfair of you to displace that upon me. I stand by my observation. I hope you're of good character and publicly apologize.
I don't qualify this as an apology, but I am pleased to learn that the reference to the elderly was not intended to be negative in any way. We obviously differ as to whether or not we believe my original posted reaction to it was unfair.

We do agree on the importance of strenuous physical activity. I last had the time to train semi-seriously when I was just a few year older, 52, than you at 49 for your last official service 1.5 mile run. My training goal then, shared with a younger friend, was to break 12 minutes for two miles. Running together, pacing each other while exchanging the lead every lap on a quarter mile track, we ultimately ran the two miles in 11:47. Like the capabilities of the 981S and the base 991, the difference in age-corrected running ability between you and me seems completely insignificant. By the way, based on your mile time, you went out too fast. If you had paced yourself more uniformly, you would have had a faster overall time for the 1.5 miles.

When I finally retire, I hope to finally have the time to begin training for serious Masters level competition. Mu goal will be to run sub seven minute miles fast enough to be competitive on a regional, if not national, level. We shall see. In any case, it is true that I am not a hard core motoring enthusiast, if track driving is necessary to qualify for that designation. Any future track competition that I might engage in will be running, not driving. My last motoring competition consisted of hill climbs and winter rallies over fifty years ago, while still an undergraduate.

STG958 is correct. This discussion has gone on too long. Performance differences between the two cars are trivial and preferences between them are purely based on personal values. Although I chose the 991, I could well choose a 981 next time around.

Let's let it rest.

Last edited by vangulik42; 08-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:34 AM
wysiwyg is infamous around these parts
Yes, I am. And it's totally unbecoming of the individuals who seem only interested in being right, thumping their own chests and putting down whoever else doesn't agree. Last time I saw this kind of behaviour was in kindergarten.

Originally Posted by STG958
Who's sick of seeing the squabbling?
PORSCHE makes DIFFERENT models for DIFFERENT buyers for a reason!!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by STG958
You might as well start a post about what women are more attractive, blondes, brunettes, red heads, blah blah blah .....

Which one will do 0-60 the fastest??
LOL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 base for the City?