991 S vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 AM
wysiwyg is infamous around these parts
Old 08-19-2014, 06:19 AM
wch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the rough
I tested drove a Cayman S and 911 C2S yesterday. They are both great cars. Compared to the M3 they are both more sporty (look, feel and sound) but you give up a little or lot of practicality.

For me, the 911 is the better fit. The slightly increased room for kids or storage in back and the slightly bigger feel was more appealing to me.

Compared to the M3, the 911 felt just as quick bro accelerate but lighter.

Now I just have to figure out the numbers and sort through the options list.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I am just looking for the toy that feels more like it is wired to my own nervous system and/or will put a bigger grin on my face when driven.
That makes it easy: Cayman S (or GTS). No contest.

However, I bought the 911 because I found, for me, personally, that the Cayman was just too stiff for day-to-day driving (I use my car to share DD duties) and the exhaust drones far too much.

But if I were buying just for an occasional toy, it would be the Cayman.

HTH.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Do you want "feel", lap times, or something else?

I have not driven a Cayman S on the street; only on track. I drive a 991S daily and have tracked the PDK Cayman S hard along with a PDK and 7MT 991S. Not only is the 991S faster on virtually any track but it "feels" a lot different. Personally I prefer the feel of the 991 because I like (or maybe I'm just used to) the weight in the back. I could get the rear coming around on me in the Cayman pretty easily because there is no weight back there. In the same corner the 991 would just stick and go.

That's just my preference. They are both wonderful cars; just get the one that gets your motor running.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Get the C2S. I drove both and the C2s is just better. More room inside, way better exhaust sound, and faster.

No brainer choice here.

If you compared to a boxster GTS I'd say get a boxster GTS but the cayman GTS is a waste if you can afford a C2S. At that point wait for the cayman GT4 like I am haha!

Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speedsterr
Get the C2S. I drove both and the C2s is just better. More room inside, way better exhaust sound, and faster.

No brainer choice here.

If you compared to a boxster GTS I'd say get a boxster GTS but the cayman GTS is a waste if you can afford a C2S. At that point wait for the cayman GT4 like I am haha!
I'm a rag-top guy, so I could be very partial to the 981 Boxster GTS. Actually, I've recently been thinking about how I could add that one to the existing collection.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Leslierc
I'm a rag-top guy, so I could be very partial to the 981 Boxster GTS. Actually, I've recently been thinking about how I could add that one to the existing collection.
I had a 981 Boxster S service loaner for a week, and it is really a sweet car. If I had the funds, and the garage space, I'd add it to the collection, for sure.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I had a 981 Boxster S service loaner for a week, and it is really a sweet car. If I had the funds, and the garage space, I'd add it to the collection, for sure.
I know that car very well; I was driving a 981 Boxster S before going to my 991 C4. And, yes, a very sweet car indeed!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 PM
wysiwyg is infamous around these parts
Me too. I had a long term courtesy car 981 Boxster S for about four months. Loved it, but it's not the best DD (to me at least) nor is it the best track car. Would certainly like to have it in the garage for days when the weather is just right (here in Malaysia that means when it's cool, not when it's sunny)

Originally Posted by beemer guy

Old 09-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Pcar11 is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, new member here and a happy new owner of a 2015 cayman gts with Pdk. My last two performance cars were a 2011 r8 v10 coupe and right before that a 2010 gt3 both higher powered and faster cars than my new gts. I alway loved the cayman and after selling my r8 I wanted to get into another Fun performance car for less money and knew that I really wanted to get back into a Porsche.

My dilemma was choosing between a 991s and a cayman gts. I drove around 5 different 991's before I drove the cayman and I really got to take the cars close to its limits and I can contribute a few observations.

I will compare the last 991s I drove back to back with the gts. Both cars had Pdk, 991s had sport pasm and the gts was equipped with sport suspension. Both cars had sport chrono and sport exhaust.

Engine exhaust sound-
The gts wins in this department is your looking for a gt3 type sound. The caymans exhaust and induction noise is quite frankly organic. Best sounding modern Porsche after the gt3 IMO. If you don't want your car to sound too loud, the 911 sounds great in its own way but not as special as the Gts. Although the soind may become tiresome after a while, so I will refrain from making a final judgement until I get more acclimated with the car.

Pdk transmission-
Now remember, I drove these 2 cars back to back so no downtime at all between test drives. I really wouldn't be surprised if Porsche took the Pdk from the 991 gt3 and put it into the cayman gts. The difference between the 991s and the cayman gts is instantly noticeable. The shifts in the cayman are instant, no lag. Upshifts are faster and more responsive. Downshifts are similar but still a little better in the Gts. Porsche has made significant improvements to the Pdk and I would say it very well may be the best double clutch on the market at the moment. Don't believe me? Go try one.

Steering-
The eps unit in the gts is the best I've experienced. Feedback is excellent, you can feel the road way more than you could in the 911. It's also much more accurate and satisfying than that of the 911. I like it more than my r8, and my older 2009 c2s and almost as much as my Gt3. Again, another significant improvement over eps in the 911. Don't believe me? Again go drive it and see for yourself.

Ride-
The ride on my gts with x73 is just plain stiff. Luckily I have an s4 I use as my daily and I have no problem with a stiff ride as my second car. Comfort wise the 911 is better in every measurable way.

Handling-
I love the handling on both cars, but again the cayman is just on another level. Race car like and reminded my of the thrills I had with my gt3. I won't lie though, I really love the 911 feel, it's a more exciting and challenging so in the handling department I would have to say it's really a matter of personal preference.

Brakes-
Both cars have amazing brakes. No manufacturer can come close in this category IMO. The caymans brakes feel better, a little easier to modulate and more predictable. Both have amazing stopping power but the cayman wins this one again.

Power-
Wot both cars feel very similar at high rpms. You will feel the torque differences down low. The 911 moves at a more rapid pace but the sound just makes the gts feel almost as fast. The 991s wins in the power and acceleration department but probably by not as much as most of you would think. Again go drive them back to back to see for yourselves.

Overall you can't go wrong with either car. To me it really comes down to 1 thing driving pleasure and the cayman gts wins hands down. If your going to use the car as a daily Id still go for the cayman but skip x73. If your not as much into performance and feel as I am the 991 is amazing. It's got the looks, comfort, and prestige the cayman gts will never come close to.

Last edited by Pcar11; 09-24-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Grunty is infamous around these parts
The 911 is just.... Different.

It handles beautifully but it's a bit like hearing a slightly different dialect of a language you know well. It's a bit surprising.

Personally I love the way the 911 drives, it is more colorful for want of a better word.
We also just got a 981 boxster and it too drives beautifully but in a totally different and probably more "proper" way.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Capsfan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pcar11
Hey guys, new member here and a happy new owner of a 2015 cayman gts with Pdk. My last two performance cars were a 2011 r8 v10 coupe and right before that a 2010 gt3 both higher powered and faster cars than my new gts. I alway loved the cayman and after selling my r8 I wanted to get into another Fun performance car for less money and knew that I really wanted to get back into a Porsche.

My dilemma was choosing between a 991s and a cayman gts. I drove around 5 different 991's before I drove the cayman and I really got to take the cars close to its limits and I can contribute a few observations.

I will compare the last 991s I drove back to back with the gts. Both cars had Pdk, 991s had sport pasm and the gts was equipped with sport suspension. Both cars had sport chrono and sport exhaust.

Engine exhaust sound-
The gts wins in this department is your looking for a gt3 type sound. The caymans exhaust and induction noise is quite frankly organic. Best sounding modern Porsche after the gt3 IMO. If you don't want your car to sound too loud, the 911 sounds great in its own way but not as special as the Gts. Although the soind may become tiresome after a while, so I will refrain from making a final judgement until I get more acclimated with the car.

I wonder how it can sound better considering the smaller motor and I would bet a comparable exhaust assuming both are PSE? Do you know if porsche did something special for the GTS.

Pdk transmission-
Now remember, I drove these 2 cars back to back so no downtime at all between test drives. I really wouldn't be surprised if Porsche took the Pdk from the 991 gt3 and put it into the cayman gts. The difference between the 991s and the cayman gts is instantly noticeable. The shifts in the cayman are instant, no lag. Upshifts are faster and more responsive. Downshifts are similar but still a little better in the Gts. Porsche has made significant improvements to the Pdk and I would say it very well may be the best double clutch on the market at the moment. Don't believe me? Go try one.

Same thing here, do you know that the PDK a is different or perhaps it may just feel that way in a slightly smaller car? I don't feel any lag in my 991s but I have nothing to compare it to.

Steering-
The eps unit in the gts is the best I've experienced. Feedback is excellent, you can feel the road way more than you could in the 911. It's also much more accurate and satisfying than that of the 911. I like it more than my r8, and my older 2009 c2s and almost as much as my Gt3. Again, another significant improvement over eps in the 911. Don't believe me? Again go drive it and see for yourself.

The R8 steering IMO is not that great I prefer the 991 by a long shot. I am curious as to what was changed between the GTS and 991. My assumption is that the cayman GTS has been upgraded to have similar features/performance to the 991. I think in general the Caymans are supposed to be very good handling cars, perhaps the ideal track car.

Ride-
The ride on my gts with x73 is just plain stiff. Luckily I have an s4 I use as my daily and I have no problem with a stiff ride as my second car. Comfort wise the 911 is better in every measurable way.

Handling-
I love the handling on both cars, but again the cayman is just on another level. Race car like and reminded my of the thrills I had with my gt3. I won't lie though, I really love the 911 feel, it's a more exciting and challenging so in the handling department I would have to say it's really a matter of personal preference.

Brakes-
Both cars have amazing brakes. No manufacturer can come close in this category IMO. The caymans brakes feel better, a little easier to modulate and more predictable. Both have amazing stopping power but the cayman wins this one again.

Aren't the brakes exactly the same as the 991s?

Power-
Wot both cars feel very similar at high rpms. You will feel the torque differences down low. The 911 moves at a more rapid pace but the sound just makes the gts feel almost as fast. The 991s wins in the power and acceleration department but probably by not as much as most of you would think. Again go drive them back to back to see for yourselves.

Overall you can't go wrong with either car. To me it really comes down to 1 thing driving pleasure and the cayman gts wins hands down. If your going to use the car as a daily Id still go for the cayman but skip x73. If your not as much into performance and feel as I am the 991 is amazing. It's got the looks, comfort, and prestige the cayman gts will never come close to.
So you are saying the GTS outperforms the 991s? I strongly doubt that. You may prefer it but the performance numbers weigh heavily in favor of the 991s.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Capsfan
So you are saying the GTS outperforms the 991s? I strongly doubt that. You may prefer it but the performance numbers weigh heavily in favor of the 991s.
Actually that's not what he said.
Great write up on the GTS. Sounds like another great Porsche. I always loved the handling of the Boxster/Cayman cars. Good luck with the new GTS.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Capsfan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Actually that's not what he said.
Great write up on the GTS. Sounds like another great Porsche. I always loved the handling of the Boxster/Cayman cars. Good luck with the new GTS.
That's exactly what I read. Out steers, out handles, and out brakes the 991s. It even sounds better.... I guess its possible, slightly smaller, lighter ,mid engine car beefed up slightly from the std cayman.

A GT3 version with a 3.8 would be interesting.

I have some notes within the quote which is hard to follow asking specif questions.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Pcar11 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Capsfan
That's exactly what I read. Out steers, out handles, and out brakes the 991s. It even sounds better.... I guess its possible, slightly smaller, lighter ,mid engine car beefed up slightly from the std cayman.

A GT3 version with a 3.8 would be interesting.

I have some notes within the quote which is hard to follow asking specif questions.
Steering feel, handling characteristics, and brake feel are all subjective. No where did I say that objectively the cayman gts out performs the 991. I had no bias going into this comparison as I was leaning more towards a 991 prior to my purchase. Again if tbe points I make are hard to believe, go drive the cars back to back and you can draw your own conclusions.

I am no sure if there are any hardware changes with the steering but like I said the steering feel on the gts is noticeably better than on the 991. This all may be just software tweaks Porsche has implemented over time. Same goes for the Pdk. The 991 is the faster car like I said, but you probably won't notice it that much when driving them both back to back. It's not that big of a difference.

The sound is phenomenal in both cars. The gts sounds more special of the 2. Louder and angrier. Again, sound is subjective and opinions will vary from person to person but my friend who owns a 991s was blown away by the sound of my car.

Please feel free to ask my any question about the two.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 S vs Cayman GTS