991 S vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Airdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Capsfan
That's exactly what I read. Out steers, out handles, and out brakes the 991s.
Actually I would argue that the Boxster/Cayman platform has out steered, out handled, and out braked the 911(C2,C2S) since the 987.2 (2009). At the same time the 911 out accelerates, has a higher top speed, and has a unique feel in the corners that many people prefer. The mid engine cars have only become more capable over time, and I think the GTS shows that Porsche is finally willing to develop the platform and not just treat them as their entry level sports car. Lots of people still prefer the 911, either because of the way they drive, the extra space, or the storied history. Caymans and Boxsters have never sold as well as they should have, and at the same time the 911 has 15-19 different variations that fly out the door.
You can’t really go wrong in either car.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I had a GTS out for a brief fast run on a tight technical track at the Porsche World Roadshow recently. It is as exciting and fine handling as PCar11 says. It felt like a perfect chassis for the power plant in the car- and the mid-engine feel cannot be beat.

If it had more grunt I might consider one in the future. But as it is I prefer my SPASM 991C2S. The steering feel is and turn in with that setup is to me as good as the Cayman GTS on the track and it can really take advantage of the 911 exit traction.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM
shaytun is infamous around these partsshaytun is infamous around these parts
I fell in love with Porsche after test driving the 981 Cayman S. Unreal handling. That said it's not a cheap car when optioned well. What kept me from buying it is what maybe the OP doesn't care about...the looks. The new Cayman (especially the GTS with the optional lowered suspension) looks amazing, but the rear end still isn't quite right to me. The 991 looks perfect. I wanted to love the Cayman's looks because its performance is beyond enough.

When subjectively comparing the cars you also have to look at how they are optioned. Does the C2S have sport chrono, PDK/manual, SPASM, PDCC, etc? These options change things dramatically if you're making an apples to apples comparison. If you go by objective numbers, the C2S should win. Subjective tastes vary. I agree that you test drive both.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Pcar11 is infamous around these parts
Hey shaytun chehtoree? Like I said in my initial post, both cars tested had Pdk, the cayman had x73, the 991s had sport pasm and both had sport chrono and sport exhaust. No pddc on the 911 and no PTV on the cayman.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I am looking at both of these as possible replacements for my current M3.

On paper, other than outright speed capability, the Cayman appears to be the the more precise and dynamic car.

Please give me some insight on why the 911 driving experience would be better, other than the power. It seems that the 911 is so much more popular, and yet it would seem that the mid-engine design of the Cayman is, in reality, superior.

I am not interested in things like "heritage", "the 911 is the icon", "Cayman is not a real Porsche", etc. I want opinions on the actual driving experience. Cost is also not a factor. I am just looking for the toy that feels more like it is wired to my own nervous system and/or will put a bigger grin on my face when driven.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Is a lightly-optioned GT3 out of the budget seeing how heavily optioned C2S's can sometimes cost more. If not, it's the most visceral Porsche available.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pcar11
Hey shaytun chehtoree? Like I said in my initial post, both cars tested had Pdk, the cayman had x73, the 991s had sport pasm and both had sport chrono and sport exhaust. No pddc on the 911 and no PTV on the cayman.
What's up brother. I think the GTS is an awesome car so it's a no lose either way. You should post some pics. Saw you're in the LA area. We should try to get a group out for a drive.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by shaytun
What's up brother. I think the GTS is an awesome car so it's a no lose either way. You should post some pics. Saw you're in the LA area. We should try to get a group out for a drive.
Trying to upload some pics from my phone but I guess it won't work till I get to a computer. Yes let's meet I'm in the area and know some nice secluded canyon roads.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	402745  
Old 09-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Here are some more pics and one of the 991s I drove.

Views:	296
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	402746  
Old 09-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Here's the 991s I drove before the cayman

Views:	221
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	402747  
Old 09-25-2014, 02:35 AM
For those interested in how the car sounds, here's a short clip of my car

Old 09-25-2014, 04:39 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I always felt the Cayman was a great looking car and it gets better each year. If they put 450hp or a couple of turbos in a Cayman how many of us die hards would flip to the Cayman to get ahold of some of that excellent balance and handling you can only get from a mid engine car.

I have driven both the Boxster S (got one for my wife before she became a Cayenne convert) and Cayman S. There is really nothing not to like except missing some power that most of us will never use anyway. I always wondered why Porsche never used the mid engine platform for a next gen GT3 true track car.

It's a great car I hope Porsche finally unleashes in a 911 level of performance.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
As has been stated many times, if you putt around the block test driving a 991S, it doesn't feel that exciting but with proper options on a track, it is very exciting and walks away from the Cayman. I have a 991 and 981 and like them both for different reasons.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
bclk55 is infamous around these parts
I love my Cayman GTS, it sounds so good. I came from a 991 C2S and let me tell you that the Cayman GTS exhaust does not disappoint. What I really missed from the C2S would be the low end torque, but with a simple mod like Fabspeed Sports Headers made a difference in torque. There is more grunt from down low now. Also the new sound it makes, oh man, I'm speechless. Here's a couple pics of my car.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by bclk55
I love my Cayman GTS, it sounds so good. I came from a 991 C2S and let me tell you that the Cayman GTS exhaust does not disappoint. What I really missed from the C2S would be the low end torque, but with a simple mod like Fabspeed Sports Headers made a difference in torque. There is more grunt from down low now. Also the new sound it makes, oh man, I'm speechless. Here's a couple pics of my car.

Beautiful car and I agree with you regarding the low end torque. I noticed that your in southern Cali would you pm the details of the fab speed headers? Where were they bought and installed? Thanks.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:02 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Nice cars (don't get me wrong), but I'll stick with my 991 C2S. My 400 HP and PSE suits me fine.

Either way you look at it, the 911 is more attractive and a better designed car. You should have waited for the 911 GTS.

The Cayman has a small and fugly *** which you don't see in pictures very often.

*share your pics in the Cayman forum. Those guys will love them.

Last edited by STG991; 09-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 S vs Cayman GTS