View Poll Results: Does your 911 stumble / hesitate
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Appeared after xxxx miles)
18.37%
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Started at delivery (0 miles))
13.27%
No - Smooth as silk (What stumble?)
68.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Stumble Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Capsfan is infamous around these parts
Can you describe the lag or stumble? Do the RPMs drop or do you lose power for a second? What happens during hard acceleration? Is it all gears?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Capsfan
Can you describe the lag or stumble? Do the RPMs drop or do you lose power for a second? What happens during hard acceleration? Is it all gears?
All well documented here; https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-2500-rpm.html

Happens in all gears.
It is NOT a lag.
RPM's don't visibly drop.
It's a dead spot, stumble, hesitation @ 2500rpm in every gear (under a moderate load).

If you drive hard you're out of the 2500 band so you don't feel it...

Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Capsfan
There are many, many threads and posts discussing this, but to sum up: It feels like someone is tugging you from behind as you drive at a constant RPM on moderate load. You cannot see it in the tachometer. It's a seat-of-the-pants feeling like there is water in your fuel or something like that. Happens in all gears. For me it seems most prevalent at 2300, but I feel it in the range of 2200 up to 2500 at times. Once you're up past 3K the engine is perfect.

I also have the issue where on medium to hard acceleration from 2K RPM up past 3K RPM I'll get a distinct stumble right around 3000 RPM. It's a more severe power loss for me at that point. That's been discussed as a variocam transition point.

Last edited by stealthboy; 09-24-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Money2536
Thanks dux for doing this. I'm still trying to pretend this isn't happening.
Money,

I like the (preliminary) poll numbers, because they show that they don't "all do it".
This has been a consistent part of their pathetic denial tactic, preceded by "we don't feel it" and "it's normal".

Based on this idiotic logic, all the non-stumblers should immediately go to their respective dealerships to have their cars "normalized".

Sleathboy's highly offensive remote diagnosis and subsequent dismissal by the Porsche field tech was the final straw for me.

The ONLY thing that brought a resolution to Nick Murry's nightmare was lots of (bad) press, and I know how to bring attention to an issue.
I plan on fighting this with facts not feelings.

I have no interest in a lemon or their idea of lemonade.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dux
Money, I like the (preliminary) poll numbers, because they show that they don't "all do it". This has been a consistent part of their pathetic denial tactic, preceded by "we don't feel it" and "it's normal". Based on this idiotic logic, all the non-stumblers should immediately go to their respective dealerships to have their cars "normalized". Sleathboy's highly offensive remote diagnosis and subsequent dismissal by the Porsche field tech was the final straw for me. The ONLY thing that brought a resolution to Nick Murry's nightmare was lots of (bad) press, and I know how to bring attention to an issue. I plan on fighting this with facts not feelings. I have no interest in a lemon or their idea of lemonade.
The thing that nick brought to the table is that he had video documentation...

To date I've seen no video of the event actually occurring..and i am sure part of that is it is a bit more difficult to capture.... But if we could get videos somehow focused on the tach it might help clarify to the masses. As it is now it seems to be described slightly different by everyone and that may be part of the problem in getting a surge of attention to something that is a real problem...

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scatkins
The thing that nick brought to the table is that he had video documentation...

To date I've seen no video of the event actually occurring..and i am sure part of that is it is a bit more difficult to capture.... But if we could get videos somehow focused on the tach it might help clarify to the masses. As it is now it seems to be described slightly different by everyone and that may be part of the problem in getting a surge of attention to something that is a real problem...

You don't see it on the tach. There is nothing to video .

Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM
dux
@Scatkins - you're correct, but Nick literally had smoke bellowing out of his door and an instrument cluster lighting up like a Christmas tree. And in spite of this they denied that there was an issue.

It's impossible to video a stumble / tug, especially if the tach isn't reacting quickly enough. Heck, maybe I'll try to see if my G-meter picks it up (doubt it).

I assure you that we are all describing the EXACT same thing. "Fishing line tug" was the phase that finally coined it best for us.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:31 AM
dux
P.S. This issue is quite different from the engine stumble on roll out which was reported by a handful of PDK owners a while ago.
That issue continues to be (quietly) addressed with crankshaft sensor replacements.

Our issue is not related to roll out stumbles.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by dux
P.S. This issue is quite different from the engine stumble on roll out which was reported by a handful of PDK owners a while ago.
That issue continues to be (quietly) addressed with crankshaft sensor replacements.

Our issue is not related to roll out stumbles.

In fact, the first thing my dealer did when I came in with this was to replace the crankshaft sensor just to see. No dice.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by dux
@Scatkins - you're correct, but Nick literally had smoke bellowing out of his door and an instrument cluster lighting up like a Christmas tree. And in spite of this they denied that there was an issue.

It's impossible to video a stumble / tug, especially if the tach isn't reacting quickly enough. Heck, maybe I'll try to see if my G-meter picks it up (doubt it).

I assure you that we are all describing the EXACT same thing. "Fishing line tug" was the phase that finally coined it best for us.

I wonder if a dyno run would show this? Might be sensitive enough.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Well if the poll results continue this way it will be good for the first person who takes it to arbitration. The majority of people say there is no hesitation. That will counter the argument that they designed it this way. And again, remember that it doesn't matter if they say that because the hesitation is a safety issue. When it bucks, you feel like it's loosing power and it may be putting you in a dangerous position.

I would still like to know whether the poll results indicate base or S; manual or PDK and whether anyone has tried re-installing the operating software.

ChuckJ

Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
dux
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I would still like to know whether the poll results indicate base or S; manual or PDK ....

ChuckJ
Chuck,
In looking at the profiles and signatures of the respondents thus far, the stumbling does not seem to discriminate.
It occurs in all variants - MAN / PDK / Base and S.

Regards,

Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
Chuck,
In looking at the profiles and signatures of the respondents thus far, the stumbling does not seem to discriminate.
It occurs in all variants - MAN / PDK / Base and S.

Regards,
Thanks Dux. That may eliminate the induction flap as I believe those are only in S models.

ChuckJ

Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 AM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Just to add my details to my poll response, my car is a S 7MT, May 2013 build. No stuble (thank goodness). Hope these issues are resolved soon for all those who are experiencing the problem. Really inexcusable on a car like this.

Edit: no stumble (no stuble either, for that matter).

Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Mine was built in April 2013. It might be good to get a feel for the various build dates of affected cars.

I would love to find the thing that we all have in common. Build date, fuel type, certain options (or lack thereof), anything...
More data would help. Maybe create an Excel spreadsheet with columns named like this where people could add their own rows to in Google docs or some similar method?

Last edited by naples991; 09-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Stumble Poll