View Poll Results: Does your 911 stumble / hesitate
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Appeared after xxxx miles)
18.37%
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Started at delivery (0 miles))
13.27%
No - Smooth as silk (What stumble?)
68.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Stumble Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dux
Does anyone know if there is a way to determine the S/W version loaded on the DME via the PCM? Thx.
I believe you may be able to see it with a durametric, but not sure how to otherwise..

Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Probably could be easily detected and recorded on a dynamometer This would most liked be a prerequisite to any lawsuit along with with the opinion of an expert

Old 09-26-2014, 09:17 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I talked about the injection before but I forgot to mention that PSE also has vacuum tubes hooked up to it. These have been known to become dislodged and that would take an already lean mixture to unstable. In addition any of the following may have leaking / dislodged vacuum tubes:
-air cleaner box flap
-tuning flap on S
-sound symposer
-valves for exhaust flaps on PSE equipped cars
-engine cooland shut-off valve
-heat exchanger shutoff valve
-transmission heat exchanger
-shut-off valve for ATF heat exchanger on PDK vehicles

ChuckJ
...and of course, those 8 vacuum tubes are all connected to our friend, the changeover valve.

These valves are now on their fourth revision (I am waiting for one back-ordered to arrive for my exhaust flap (non-PSE)).

Here's to hoping that the fourth time is the charm, and that the supplier got it right this time.

I for one hope that Porsche will do the right thing and issue another campaign to replace all 8 changeover valves, again, to put this rather annoying issue to bed once and for all.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:36 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
SM_ATL got so fed up with their demented policy that he checked and replaced his himself. I think he found 3 defective valves!!

Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Ah, yes. But I think there is a new version out since. Part number now ending in an 'F'.

And at the moment they are unobtanium (none available at PCNA, back ordered from Germany, I am told).

Old 09-26-2014, 10:01 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
...and of course, those 8 vacuum tubes are all connected to our friend, the changeover valve.

These valves are now on their fourth revision (I am waiting for one back-ordered to arrive for my exhaust flap (non-PSE)).

Here's to hoping that the fourth time is the charm, and that the supplier got it right this time.

I for one hope that Porsche will do the right thing and issue another campaign to replace all 8 changeover valves, again, to put this rather annoying issue to bed once and for all.
A defective vacuum operated valve / leaking line could definitely cause issues. But the techs should be able to see if it's drawing the proper level of vacuum at various RPMs and throttle conditions.

ChuckJ

Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
A defective vacuum operated valve / leaking line could definitely cause issues. But the techs should be able to see if it's drawing the proper level of vacuum at various RPMs and throttle conditions.

ChuckJ
My techs have never gotten to the point where they are actually trying to diagnose anything by, you know, looking at the engine.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:57 AM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stealthboy
My techs have never gotten to the point where they are actually trying to diagnose anything by, you know, looking at the engine.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:24 PM
dremaley is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mtony
Well, if your dealer is Hennessy, it seems they forget pretty quickly. I guess I'll be taking mine back for strike two of the Lemon Law procedure next week.
Are you going back for the stumble issue or something else? Please keep us advised. Thanks

Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
"3. I've been told by a friend in Stuttgart who is a VP of Engineering with MBZ who has friends that are engineers at Porsche that almost every driveability issue that comes up these days are software/engine management update related. Not mechanical.

He also told me with some dismay that there are terrible losses in communication with service managers at dealerships. Mostly the frustration is on the German side with US dealership service techs not being educated or have enough experience with their own products. Maddening for owners who have driveability issues like this that should be simple to correct but that the procedure gets mis managed on our end."

There is a need to be fair to the local dealership/service guys, not just at P but, from what I see, BMW and others as well:

a) They generally (especially on new models) are not given the tools to diagnose many, many problems (especially software related problems). This is a real issue since as you point out the mechanical stuff is often not the problem; it lies in the code.

b) They have been trained to say that they don't see a problem or that the behavior is normal on any kind of new production, intermittent, or non-fault code thrown item.

c) They are heavily dis-incentivized (service reimbursement cost and future allocations) to replace anything that may come back "clean" when the parts depot checks it with their tools.

d) There are many, many known bugs/parts issues that are not "safety related" that are just not going to be fixed on existing models but some of which may be fixed on some basis as cut-ins to new production.

From what I can tell I do not have this issue but given my experience in cases like this with P and BMW I bow down to the thank the powers that be since I would probably just have to live with it. I feel your pain in getting this solved.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by naples991
Sadly Stealthboy is not joking which makes this all the more disturbing.

With the right threshold settings you can just about hide anything.

This utter disregard for their customers, along with the perpetual hiding behind the lack of fault codes, will no doubt result in some very public unpleasantness.

Nick Murray's post buyback conspicuous silence was deafening, but that is a very risky strategy on their part.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:41 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dremaley
Are you going back for the stumble issue or something else? Please keep us advised. Thanks
Going back in for the hesitation/stumble issue. GA lemon law requires three strikes before a final demand to fix or lemon buy back.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:47 PM
dux
Originally Posted by mtony
Going back in for the hesitation/stumble issue. GA lemon law requires three strikes before a final demand to fix or lemon buy back.
And so it begins...

Old 09-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
This is the reason I am so frustrated. Lemon law would be simple if we had a problem that was easily identified or there was a CEL. The problem, I fear, is that you waste your life taking the car into the dealership over and over again. Then you raise a lemon law suit, and you lose due to lack of evidence. Porsche will claim normal operation. I guess you could overcome some of this if you have a good service writer that believes you and is on your side. The language they put in your service records would be rather important.

I feel so stuck. My options are:

1.) I can't sell the car private party. Even if I were immoral enough to try and dupe someone into buying my flawed car, they would eventually come back to burn my house down after they realized I scammed them.
2.) I can trade the car to a dealer, but I'm going to get smoked. There is no way I'm going to roll the dice on another C2S, so it's a GT3 or Turbo. I don't want to own any other car. I figure the GT3 has a completely different engine, so the chance of having a similar problem is mitigated. It will be hard to get, but I learned today it can be done.
3.) I just live with it and resent my formerly perfect car.

I've been shopping GT3s today, so I may be taking the $20-$30K loss and moving on. Let's hope I don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire. The other problem is that I beat the daylights out of my wife the past few years with cars. She understands this one isn't my fault, but it's hard to broach the topic of losing $25K and spending a net $50,000 more right after buying an $80,000 M3. Sigh...

Last edited by Money2536; 09-26-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:37 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I have 14500 miles and I don't think I have it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Stumble Poll