My TPMS Is Crazy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
My TPMS Is Crazy...

I'm hoping you guys can give me some good information on this, my TPMS told me today that my left front tire is low, but the pressure was reading 36psi on that tire, which matches the recommended pressure on the door sticker. I have a 2013 C2S. This is my first experience with a car that has such a sophisticated TPMS, my WRX just tells me when something is wrong but never elaborates on which tire or how much pressur

The tires have read between 36 and 39 in the front and 50 to 52 in the rear since I got the vehicle 10 days ago, so nothing different today, but the light came on. The odd part is that at 36psi it was telling me the tire was 6psi low, but then it came up to 38psi after driving for a bit and the light didn't go away.

So I told the car to re-learn and drove over 16mph the way the manual instructed and the warning went away. Right now the tire pressure in the front two tires reads 38 and the rear both read 51.

Is this likely an issue with the TPMS that I should have corrected? Or are anomalies such as this known to be an issue? I live in Phoenix and it was 111 degrees today, but it's been hot like this since I brought the car home from Los Angeles after buying it. Is it possible for the car to just forget the pressure and I have to reset it?

thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:14 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
They are all pretty nuts. The sensor measures temperature and pressure and the car uses an algorithm to determine if over under or correct pressure

Just mostly ignore it.

Last edited by rnl; 06-24-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
My TPMS Is Crazy...

Go to your TPMS mode and see if you have partial or full load and if you have comfort setting chosen. If you have full load which means basically all seats taken and frunk full then it might give you a load reading light.
I have a 4S with 20" 245f and 305r Michelin Super Sports and I run 32F and 36R cold temperatures partial load comfort setting. Never get a call out. Tires above 40+ will loose some grip and the ride is harsh.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
My pressure readings have always gone up and stabilized, the longer I drive.
Naturally the heat causes the air to expand, resulting in increased pressure readings.
After a few minutes of highway driving, my pressures always remain constant (and predictable.)

Old 06-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
Thank you for the replies, confirming my initial reaction when I first drove the car and fiddled with the tpms screen. "these tire pressures seem obnoxious" is all I could think when I looked at it. The car rides like a brick too, but I just accepted it.

So reducing pressure to the numbers on the door sticker will then cause the tpms to give warnings again? If so, do I just have it learn again?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Very helpful link dux, I'll change the pressure next time I drive the car.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:59 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Tire pressures are somewhat personal preference except that too high is too high. If you are getting readings of over 40+ you are too high. Get comfortable with trying lower settings, your ride will soften and your cornering will improve. I don't know if you are running OEM Pirellis or Michelins. But for normal driving with mostly you or you and your partner in the car partial load comfort setting will work. Once you reset pressures it will take a short while for the TPMS to learn but then should be fine.

Some guys on here run really low pressures I have stayed with 32F &36R when cold which gives about a 36&38 reading when warmed up. Car rides and handles well with no warning lights. Use a good tire gauge to set the pressures.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 PM
beaverlake is infamous around these parts
I have my car set up for "half load" and spirited driving by a well respected shop in the Seattle area. After balance and alignment they recommended 36f and 40r cold on our C2s cab. Spirited driving on tours feels good and the ride is comfortable. I need to do a stop and check on hot tires to see what the real pressure is vs what the TPMS reads. At cold pressure the TPMS is usually the same as my reading with a highly rated digital gauge.