Ridiculous clearbra dealer install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:58 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by R_Rated
2 questions...

1. What is a typical cost?

2. Any recommendations in NC?
I am not from NC but you do want an Xpel shop that is factory training and has the SAP software. Here is the link to their NC installers. In NYC a full Xpel wrap of a 991 from a first tier installer would run $5-$6k. Worth every penny.

http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...North_Carolina

Old 01-01-2016, 11:02 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Dealers use whatever guy comes in and undercuts the last guy they were using on their cost while still charging the customer the same.

I wouldn't never contract out with a dealer for any after the sale upgrades.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:17 PM
KN14911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by apex430
that is so messes up... it definitely depreciates car value if you sell it with all the scratches. can you have the clear bra removed then have the paint 'corrected' before having a true professional installer put on another set? i know it'll be costly but short of bad yelp review, and social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram etc) 'harrassing' them to own up to their screw up, or contacting the state consumer affairs board and reporting them.
another option is to contact the local news station and see if they have a consumer help team, they will do a piece and share with the dealership misconduct. the idea is to bring as much bad press as possible to the dealer so they will man up and fix their problem regardless of 'policy'

Nobody will know about the scratches but him. You would literally have to flash a light on the car to see them. Doesn't affect the value of the car. Reprinting the car will. Every dealer simply looks for major scratches or damage and takes a paint meter around the car.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
The job quality is pathetic and the dealer should be ashamed. Don't go to the media because they'll get more mileage from the story by ridiculing you than by supporting you. But you should let those on this forum know the name of the dealer because their poor handling of this situation should cost them business from other Porsche enthusiasts. If you don't share the name of the dealer with us, then somebody else might fall victim to the same thing, and the dealer will have no incentive to stop this type of treatment of their customers. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
So sorry for your terrible experience. I'm having new front bumper and rear wing installed in the spring (Aerokit) and will be adding Xpel to new bumper, redoing hood and rockers. I'm planning on using Oakes Detail in my area. I hope you get a good resolution and all is ok with your beautiful car.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Honestly if the dealer fu*ckedup my car like that I was probably demand they buy it back. This car will have to be repainted which will affect its value. I would probably get Counsel to send a demand letter.

I agree. This is the route I would look into. This is just insane! The dealer is 100% responsible and I would NOT want to take the vehicle after it has been damaged...and then if they do 'repair' it or repaint it, it will adversely affect the value of your vehicle.

Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
I agree. This is the route I would look into. This is just insane! The dealer is 100% responsible and I would NOT want to take the vehicle after it has been damaged...and then if they do 'repair' it or repaint it, it will adversely affect the value of your vehicle.

Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck.
They won't take the car back. He signed the papers. Legally they do not have to. All they are obligated to do is fix it. The "We Owe" sheet clearly stated they would fix it. Again if it was my car i would NOT repaint. Resale will be crappy for small marks you have to go up to the car close and see. leave it as is.

Last edited by KN14911; 01-01-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
First of all the Sales and installation manager at Manhattan Motor Cars seem to have a problem with the truth.. so that bridge is well and truly burnt.
Next thing I would do is take it for a proper installer / body-shop who will give you a professional opinion as to damage (if any). They will also be able to eventually prep your car properly, which I GUARANTEE was not done by the dealership.
If they confirm that the scratches can be buffed out (to your satisfaction), get your refund and seek further compensation from the "Dealership".

Re-coat the car with Xpel (http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...tates/New_York) and DESTROY the dealership on your Porsche survey.
If there is any mention of a respray, walk away..

If none of the above apply..
1. Take it back immediately and leave it there - with the manager or owner.
2. Notify them in writing that you're getting a lawyer and provide a history of what transpired (with pictures).
3. Contact your PCNA after sales rep.
4. Have them refund your money.

A good body-shop with an experienced wet sander can get rid of most scratches, so don't despair just yet.

I'm sorry, but the PCNA dealership network level of service is a joke, even when compared to your lowly Toyota dealership service...I mean Lexus.

Last edited by dux; 01-01-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Problem here is he already agreed to the respray and repair on the "WE OWE" sheet. Should have walked away then. Leaving the car at the dealership won't do a thing. He owns the car now. Getting a Lawyer IMO is a waste of money. This won't affect the value. If he removes the clearbra i bet 99.9999% of people won't even notice the razor cuts. They already agreed to repair the car in this situation. i don't think its even reasonable at this point to ask them to take back the car. He signed the paper and agreed to the repair he should follow thru with it.

Originally Posted by dux
First of all the Sales and installation manager at Manhattan Motor Cars seem to have a problem with the truth.. so that bridge is well and truly burnt.y
Next thing I would do is take it for a proper installer / body-shop who will give you a professional opinion as to damage (if any). They will also be able to eventually prep your car properly, which I GUARANTEE was not done by the dealership.
If they confirm that the scratches can be buffed out (to your satisfaction), get your refund and seek further compensation from the "Dealership".

Re-coat the car with Xpel (http://locator.xpel.com/search/clear...tates/New_York) and DESTROY the dealership on your Porsche survey.
If there is any mention of a respray, walk away..

If none of the above apply..
1. Take it back immediately and leave it there - with the manager or owner.
2. Notify them in writing that you're getting a lawyer and provide a history of what transpired (with pictures).
3. Contact your PCNA after sales rep.
4. Have them refund your money.

A good body-shop with an experienced wet sander can get rid of most scratches, so don't despair just yet.

I'm sorry, but the PCNA dealership network level of service is a joke, even when compared to your lowly Toyota dealership service...I mean Lexus.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
I'd still ask a lawyer how binding the "We owe you" slip is?
What happens if the so called repairs look even worse?

I've seen cars that were keyed and were wet sanded to look like new?
Suggesting a respray for a razor scratch is insane.

These guys will find the absolute cheapest place and botch this car up even more.
Why would anyone in their right mind expect them is fix this cluster properly?

Last edited by dux; 01-03-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 AM
CSK 991 C4S is infamous around these parts
This sucks and I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.

My C4S was the 1st car I've ever had clear bra installed and I'm glad my dealer's 3rd party professional did a fantastic job which some could not even tell there's plastic film covering the front of my car. After seeing some of the poor installation techniques on various forums I guess the next time I should be more worried and actually interview the installer and look at some of their installations on other cars before having another car done.

I'm glad I had the film installed on my most recent road trip when a piece of FOD flew up and nailed my nose causing some nice groves. I'm surprised how thick the film is because it took the entire impact leaving the paint underneath untouched.

Last edited by CSK 991 C4S; 01-02-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:13 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Man that's a beautiful car...may be able to buff out those knife marks, if they're just into clear coat, then wax the H out of it.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
drsubie is infamous around these parts
I too had bad clear bra install by dealer on my new 991...

I bet the knife marks can be buffed out--probably just into the clear coat. I doubt you'd get any $ back from the dealer for this, they are not obligated to.

Of all the options, I'd consider:

1) just leave the film on. It's still protecting the remainder of the paint, and you'd be the only one to really know about the imperfections... You'd have to see what you would get in recompense from the dealer--maybe not much once you leave the film on...

2) have dealer remove film, touch up any areas of damage, and walk away. Expensive lesson learned. Take it to a real shop... Odds are, the dealer won't even have to report the paint repair, especially if it's not any kind of respray (minor ding and touch up work the dealer performs is not reported on CarFax...).

If you are the type that would be bothered to no end knowing your car's already been 'damaged', I'd choose #2 option.

If you plan to potentially trade or sell the car within time, then I highly doubt the next owner would particularly notice the damage if the bra was just left on. Particularly if the car is so many years old (odds are there will be many other chips on the paint by then).

As dux had mentioned, I'd CRUSH the dealer on the satisfaction survey, as well as internet shame the dealership on Yelp or whatever dealer review website you could find, though I'd probably temper this if you plan to use them for servicing...

Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM
moje911 is infamous around these parts
Thank you all for your input on this, as hard as it is to basically hear all the "told you so's" of not having the dealer install a clearbra,
I didn't imagine a bad install would be destructive, just botched at worst and wanted it done before taking a highway to a shop that wasn't so close or convenient to get to before the salt trucks were out.

The Sales Manager replied to my complaints and offered me a few options:
Dealer to remove film and repair scratches, send out to J&B Bodyworks (their preferred, certified shop in Mt Vernon, NY) for repair and clearbra install, or to return the car for a refund.

As this is a limited run Club Coupe, that I had ordered in June, it isn't really an option for me to return the car. I want it, can't get another, and hope to keep it forever. Had it been any other car, it would be a no-brainier.

Has anyone heard of and/or used J&B Bodyworks? The owner Joe Izzo contacted me and assured that they would repair the scratches and that they have a vendor that would install the Expel the right way.
Any thoughts on what the right way would be to get out the scratches?

I just want the joy of having a new 911, without being reminded of the minor trauma it's been through.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM
dux
Was there any mention of a respray from the sales "manager"?

As for J&B, I would drive over (unannounced) to see what cars they're working on and who you're dealing with? Let them go over the car with you in person before agreeing to have the work done.
DO NOT LET THE DEALER ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAR.

I would be amazed if a respray is required. If it is, do not proceed.

Also, contact PCNA and let your regional after-sales rep know what's going on.
Someone needs to compensate you for this cluster.

Wet sanding has been successfully used to get rid of some pretty major scratches.

Last edited by dux; 01-04-2016 at 04:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous clearbra dealer install