Ridiculous clearbra dealer install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM
moje911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sdg1871
By the way the proper technique for rear badging Xpel is to remove the original badging. Put Xpel over the entire body panel/bumper and then install new badging. This way NO cut lines. Here is my car in the middle of a rear bumper Xpel Job and after at Detailing Dynamics (had to have rear bumper Xpel replaced when someone backed into my car during Goldrush Rally 7 -- XPel was only thing damaged as person backed into the car at about 1-2 mph
DD is actually in the short list.

When you removed the badging, did you have to replace with new, or could the removed ones be reinstalled?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:26 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I would take car to DD's and have them remove the film, and do it properly. Somehow need to get the GM at the dealer to absorb those costs.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM
X2Board is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by R_Rated
2 questions...

1. What is a typical cost?

2. Any recommendations in NC?
I've had TVP do two of my cars, and they do great work. I did the pre-install prep myself, so I don't know how they rate in that department. The owner's name is Pete, give him a call, and tell him Marlon, with the blue M3 referred you.

The cost will be based on the type of film, and how much you want covered, as well as the type of car.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
I would take the car to my own shop, a shop that has been researched and vouched for. Take it there, no worries, get them to do it right, no re-spray, and have the dealer pay for everything.

If the cuts were actually into the paint, I personally would consider returning the car.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 AM
KN14911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by acf
I would take the car to my own shop, a shop that has been researched and vouched for. Take it there, no worries, get them to do it right, no re-spray, and have the dealer pay for everything.

If the cuts were actually into the paint, I personally would consider returning the car.
No point in returning this car. He has a club coupe which will be worth more than he paid.

I would just buff the scratches. They might not remove 100%. The only person that will know their are scratches is you OP.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
So sad to see this. So, the dealership screwed up the initial job (they are responsible for their contractor) and now the OP wants to take it to the shop the dealer recommended? No way, no how. Find your own shop after consulting P-car owners and going to see the actual shop in person and what kind of cars they work on and the appearance of those cars in progress. Make sure you are absolutely clear about your expectations to the shop. No repaints or paint blends to repair. Remove old clear bra, detail car perfectly and install new clear bra. None of those BS pre-cut kits that never seem to fit well. Get a custom install where they wrap the full hood after removing the emblem and then reinstall it. On a good job you should have a hard time finding the edges. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by cairo94507
So sad to see this. So, the dealership screwed up the initial job (they are responsible for their contractor) and now the OP wants to take it to the shop the dealer recommended? No way, no how. Find your own shop after consulting P-car owners and going to see the actual shop in person and what kind of cars they work on and the appearance of those cars in progress. Make sure you are absolutely clear about your expectations to the shop. No repaints or paint blends to repair. Remove old clear bra, detail car perfectly and install new clear bra. None of those BS pre-cut kits that never seem to fit well. Get a custom install where they wrap the full hood after removing the emblem and then reinstall it. On a good job you should have a hard time finding the edges. Good luck.
They wanted to pick up the car with a flatbed but I'm going to drive it to the shop to see what it looks like and have an in-person discussion with the owner.
Priority is to make sure that the scratches can be taken care of, then that the car is prepped the right way and then the clearbra installed properly.

I have a level of comfort as to the capabilities of the shop (the 911 seems to be the least expensive car there, and reviews are good) and I've had discussions via telephone as to what the right way means. The owner assures me that I am the customer regardless of the dealer picking up the tab.

We'll see soon enough and will keep you all posted.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:13 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
The owner assures me that I am the customer regardless of the dealer picking up the tab.

This is exactly what you want to hear. It should get resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck

Old 01-12-2016, 07:28 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by R_Rated
2 questions...
2. Any recommendations in NC?
What part of NC?

Originally Posted by moje911
The Sales Manager replied to my complaints and offered me a few options:
Dealer to remove film and repair scratches, send out to J&B Bodyworks (their preferred, certified shop in Mt Vernon, NY) for repair and clearbra install, or to return the car for a refund.
I'm happy for you to read that they are going to take care of you. If it were me, I'd bring it back for a refund, but that's me, not necessarily you.

Originally Posted by KN14911
No point in returning this car. He has a club coupe which will be worth more than he paid.
I doubt it. It ain't a 964 RS, it's a 991.

The owner assures me that I am the customer regardless of the dealer picking up the tab.
That sounds very promising - best of luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by beemer guy
What part of NC?I'm happy for you to read that they are going to take care of you. If it were me, I'd bring it back for a refund, but that's me, not necessarily you.I doubt it. It ain't a 964 RS, it's a 991.That sounds very promising - best of luck!
They wanted to pick up the car with a flatbed but I'm going to drive it to the shop to see what it looks like and have an in-person discussion with the owner.
Priority is to make sure that the scratches can be taken care of, then that the car is prepped the right way and then the clearbra installed properly.

I have a level of comfort as to the capabilities of the shop (the 911 seems to be the least expensive car there, and reviews are good) and I've had discussions via telephone as to what the right way means. The owner assures me that I am the customer regardless of the dealer picking up the tab.

We'll see soon enough and will keep you all posted.
If this were my car given you were in the New York area I would insist is that it be flat bedded to Finish line Collision in Valley Stream. They will be able to get out the scratches. Their work is incredible and they do a lot of the big cars. They have done work on all of my cars and a lot of the top level cars go there for paint stuff and Bodyworks. That is who Detailing Dynamics sends its customer cards to for things like paint for bodywork

I would then have it sent to Detailing Dynamics for a reapplication of the xpel.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:57 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sdg1871
If this were my car given you were in the New York area I would insist is that it be flat bedded to Finish line Collision in Valley Stream.
I would then have it sent to Detailing Dynamics for a reapplication of the xpel.
I have used Detailing Dynamics multiple times for different cars and love them but had a very negative experience with Finish Line with my 912.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 AM
KN14911 is infamous around these parts
OP what did you end up doing?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:04 PM
I'm happy to report that the damage from the previous clearbra install came out well.

The scratches were polished out, badges and lettering removed, clearbra installed.

Name:  image-3967805534.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  489.4 KB

For all you future buyers, a dealer install is a risky proposal and would highly recommend going to a shop specializing in installations.
I hope no one ever has to go through my fiasco on their new baby.

Now just have to wait for the snow to clear to give the rig a good workout.

Thanks to all the input from members.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
phew, good news. car is gorgeous!!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Curious, it seems the clear wrap is really popular now, almost a mandatory for some. This thread seems like a great source to ask some questions. Please ignore if you feel these are simple minded. I'd like to hear from those who have had it for years on their cars.

1. Ever need to take it off? Any issues when it is removed? - Seems the OP came out great.
2. Does it help/enhance resale?
3. No visual differences in "shininess" or reflectivity? What about cloudy days/low light conditions?
4. Does it protect against UV?
5. I assume cleaning the car is easier? Will it accumulate grit/surface imperfections like paint does, especially as a daily driver?
6. No more waxing?
7. Besides thickness, any discernible differences between the brands/quality?
8. About $5k for an entire car?

Thank you in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous clearbra dealer install