Ridiculous clearbra dealer install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM
911BOY is infamous around these parts
I cannot imagine how upset OP must have been to get his car back looking like that. Absolute embarrassment. I bet Porsche USA would have a few words to say as well.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Joegolf68 is infamous around these parts
Late reply but good one

Originally Posted by moje911
Was excited to pick up my 2016 club coupe that I had waited months for the other night.

Despite a less than perfect 3m install by the dealer on a previous 911, I had the Dealer install Expel by their new installer to front fender, hood, quarter panels and rear bumper because they assured me that their new installer would do a better job than before.
I requested they prep the car properly, clay before wrapping to get it as clean as possible without machines or polishers.

Problem is that the new installer didn't have a steady hand, was heavy handed with the knife, and generally had bad technique and judgment. I also noticed that areas of black trim were white from polisher - on a brand new car.
The sales manager and installation manager assured me that they don't use knives, that the Expel was from computer cut templates. After taking a few pics and zooming in for them, they finally apologized for the knife marks and offered to repair the damage (thank you iPhone)

Every opening is not straight or round, has razor marks within on the paint, the film is not applied straight, method of install is incomprehensible.

Front Hood Attachment 436156 There is a cut around the crest,
and it is crooked Razor blade cuts in paint
Cut wrap at side of hood, close to seam on each side

Fenders Attachment 436158
Wrap does not come to edges of panels consistently

Front Bumper Attachment 436160 Attachment 436163
Openings for headlight washers are by an epileptic
Razor blade cuts within

Rear Bumper Attachment 436161 Attachment 436164
One large, funny shaped cut for each line of lettering
Wrap edge varies by 3/4" from left light to right

This may seem petty to some, but I can't get over knife marks in a brand new car, damaging it, when the point of wrap is for protection, and in the process of a poor install the car is blemished.

I requested that they reimburse me to bring it to a third party for the removal of wrap, repair of paint, and re-wrap. At this point I especially don't want anyone in their shop touching the car, obviously they cannot be trusted.

The Sales Manager said it was their policy that they could not pay third parties for work and guaranteed that the damage would not be noticeable after repair.

I left with a "we owe you" slip outlining repair and re-wrap of certain areas, however they said that since this their best install, they could not do any better so would not attempt to re-wrap because they couldn't make me happy.

Questions are regarding filing a claim to get it repaired properly the first time. I took delivery of a dealer damaged car.
Second is, what would be the best method to repair?
Small claims court:
1. Take excellent pictures up close yet showing from afar where it is. Clearly explain what is wrong and not industry standards.
2. Get three, two might be ok, estimates to completely fix perfectly.
3. Bring one or two experts with you. Pay them to testify what experts usually get paid. They will make your case. Make sure they have some kind of recognized credentials in wrapping cars. I’m sure there are certificates etc. that people receive for passing some real qualification classes. Resumes would be nice but not the norm probably.
You will win whatever the lowest bid is for repair. No attorney necessary and filing fees are usually well under $100. A court will normally not make you go back to the original doofus.
As I said, I’m late in replying but this might be good advice to someone else. Before court make sure you’re organized. Evidence is everything so remember just giving your opinion is worthless. Must prove everything you say, which is easy with estimates and experts. You might even get reimbursed for the experts too.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:10 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
You don't have to repaint your whole car or any of your car. Too much drama here. The dealer screwed up, plain and simple. Demand the money back and leave ASAP.
Go to the best, highest rated installer in your area. Get testimonials, look at work. Have it stripped, paint corrected and wrapped properly. Once done the nightmare will be over and you won't notice the previous work. Drive the hell out of the car. Lesson learned.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
You don't have to repaint your whole car or any of your car. Too much drama here. The dealer screwed up, plain and simple. Demand the money back and leave ASAP.
Go to the best, highest rated installer in your area. Get testimonials, look at work. Have it stripped, paint corrected and wrapped properly. Once done the nightmare will be over and you won't notice the previous work. Drive the hell out of the car. Lesson learned.
Since this was almost 3 years ago, I really doubt that the OP will get his money back by demanding it now.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Since this was almost 3 years ago, I really doubt that the OP will get his money back by demanding it now.
I always forget to look at the dates on these threads. Especially 6speed, its a grave yard here compared to what it used to be. I think I commented on one that was 4 years old. Must be getting senile. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I always forget to look at the dates on these threads. Especially 6speed, its a grave yard here compared to what it used to be. I think I commented on one that was 4 years old. Must be getting senile. Happy Holidays.
You weren't alone and it even happens on the more popular Rennlist LOL! I am sure I have done it myself a few times. I just thought it was funny...

OP has probably moved on to another car by now.

Have a great holiday! :cheers:

Old 12-22-2018, 05:42 PM
oldfool is infamous around these parts
That's really bad.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:53 PM
You should see me in the grocery store. Forget why I went there sometimes. Always know where the car is though.