Exhaust Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Nicktc is infamous around these parts
Exhaust Sound

Hi all,
Something has been bugging me about my car. I have a sports exhaust and normally in normal mode the car sounds fairly quiet, in sports mode it's sounds louder, but occasionally I've noticed when parking the sound is really loud in normal mode, and when switching to sports it is less loud! When this happens the exhaust sounds 'silly' loud almost like one of the mufflers is missing! Doesn't happen that often but when it does it's very obvious (parking on main road and no walls reflecting sounds). Any ideas what's happening?
Nick

Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 PM
does195 is infamous around these parts
Driving on the wrong side of the road?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Only thing I can think of is that one of your valves has gone bad. That, or one of the changeover valves (http://rennlist.com/forums/991/80024...-on-991-a.html).

Old 04-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Nicktc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Only thing I can think of is that one of your valves has gone bad. That, or one of the changeover valves (http://rennlist.com/forums/991/80024...-on-991-a.html).
Yes, had that problem a while ago, just not sure if that would cause the extra loud sound that you can't normally get with sport mode on. When they went last time the switch just didn't work/make it loud. I think you are correct as when I toggle the switch a few time it corrects it self, but what combination of bad valves make it extra loud, i.e there appears to be three outcomes, normal, loud and extra loud. I wonder if I can get extra loud by 'design' and not just when something is wrong ,

Old 04-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nicktc
Yes, had that problem a while ago, just not sure if that would cause the extra loud sound that you can't normally get with sport mode on. When they went last time the switch just didn't work/make it loud. I think you are correct as when I toggle the switch a few time it corrects it self, but what combination of bad valves make it extra loud, i.e there appears to be three outcomes, normal, loud and extra loud. I wonder if I can get extra loud by 'design' and not just when something is wrong ,
If I'm understanding you correctly Nick, then I would say that it's quite possible that the changeover valve issue could be leaving the valve/vacuum on 100% of the time, thereby causing it to be "super loud" whether the valves are set to be open or closed.

Definitely get it checked out when you have a chance.