993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

BIG BIRDS motor progress

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

The turbos should be awesome. Seems like a perfect match for the 3.8

Looks like some custom work done to the hot sides.
Can't wait to see her finished!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Hello Alan,

You are going to be thrilled with the setup. I have ridden in the last 2 993tt GT30 cars at SCARGO. They are real strong!!! We all can't wait to see how you car turns out with the 3.8 and other goodies.

The reason the hotside looks the way it does is because they are trying to keep the wastegate gasses seperate as long as possible before merging back in again. The stock K16 or K24 design has the wastegates blowing accross the turbine wheel. This reduces overall flow. Your setup has the wastegate pointed in the same flow direction as the GT25 hotside frame and is also seperated by the cone until it reaches the catpipe.

Tom

Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Thanks for the reply Tom.
So because the internal wastegates were still utilized, thats why the hot sides were extended. I'm guessing if external wastegates were used, that would be an entirely different setup.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AWD
Thanks for the reply Tom.
So because the internal wastegates were still utilized, thats why the hot sides were extended. I'm guessing if external wastegates were used, that would be an entirely different setup.
That is correct.

This custom hotside housing from TIAL mirrors the GT25 hotside housing except bolt pattern. When compaired to KKK hotsides the differences are dramatic. The previous generation of bolt on GT's series were done by modifying KKK hotside housings. This latest generation has proven to be much better.

Stock 993tt with upgraded IC, 100 cell cats, modified factory mufflers and factory airfilter etc. put down 560 whp on a mustang dyno. This is close to 700 crank HP. Addressing the weak points (mufflers, air box, inlet pipes etc) would easiely yield 800HP. On Alvins car with the 3.8, cams and modified heads he should be well north of that. Make no mistake he car is more that just a looker!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 PM
atan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud of
All I asked Rob was will this car be faster than my previous GT2 with an Evo4 upgrade and he just smiled at me. Damn thanks for the info bro I cant wait .

Last edited by atan888; 02-21-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
rockefeller 04 is infamous around these parts
Amazing, this thread started over a year ago. Progress seams slow but steady. I too wanted to hand build a car to my own personal taste, since the exotics were always too impractical for the investment.But after doing the math, factoring the current depressed state of car prices, customizing didn't make any sense for me. Rather, a Lamborghini Superleggera, or Ferrari 430 Scuderia dipping below
170 K seemed a better investment. I only commented, because I'm sure you considered this prior to your project. Interested in your thoughts.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 AM
atan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud of
Very true but this project started since Oct of 07. At this point there is no turning back. True the exotics have dropped alot but my love for the 993 is pretty much priceless

Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM
revolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to behold
Well said Alvin
Originally Posted by atan888
Very true but this project started since Oct of 07. At this point there is no turning back. True the exotics have dropped alot but my love for the 993 is pretty much priceless

Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
This car is not an investment, it's a labor of love. It's too personal an experience to be measured in dollars and cents. It's a work of art IMO. Art provides more than a return on investment, it inspires and stimulates the viewer. The patience and commitment (not just financial but emotional) necessary to stay true to the vision is priceless.

I for one appreciate and admire every aspect of what the owner is attempting to achieve independent of whether or not I would choose the same path.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Buying an expensive sportcars never make sense let alone building a project of this caliber. So get over it and just enjoy while you have the means (and the *****). Never knows what will happen tomorrow now that the North Korean have proven their nuclear capability.In any case when the 3.8L roar , the turbos spool and the boost hit 1+ bar you'll forget everything.

Last edited by vincentdds; 04-10-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by mxk116
This car is not an investment, it's a labor of love. It's too personal an experience to be measured in dollars and cents. It's a work of art IMO. Art provides more than a return on investment, it inspires and stimulates the viewer. The patience and commitment (not just financial but emotional) necessary to stay true to the vision is priceless.

I for one appreciate and admire every aspect of what the owner is attempting to achieve independent of whether or not I would choose the same path.
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Buying an expensive sportcars never make sense let alone building a project of this caliber. So get over it and just enjoy while you have the means (and the *****). Never knows what will happen tomorrow now that the North Korean have proven their nuclear capability.In any case when the 3.8L roar , the turbos spool and the boost hit 1+ bar you'll forget everything.
True to that. Thanks guys

Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM
rockefeller 04 is infamous around these parts
There isn't an argument about passion and or emotional attachment, merely the thought process when endeavoring a project such.. The discussion is what would be the end all be all of our automobile passions. I once bought a gt3 cup car on a whim to drive on the track, and promptly used it 3 times in a calendar year.Now it seems rotating sub 200K exotics every year actually is saving me money.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned
Rennstore.com is infamous around these partsRennstore.com is infamous around these partsRennstore.com is infamous around these partsRennstore.com is infamous around these partsRennstore.com is infamous around these parts
"This car is not an investment, it's a labor of love. It's too personal an experience to be measured in dollars and cents. It's a work of art IMO. Art provides more than a return on investment, it inspires and stimulates the viewer. The patience and commitment (not just financial but emotional) necessary to stay true to the vision is priceless.

I for one appreciate and admire every aspect of what the owner is attempting to achieve independent of whether or not I would choose the same path."
~~~~~~~~~~~
+2 to that! We don't NEED these cars, they are not commuters nor are they a tool to get to the supermarket.

It's all about PASSION!

Craig
www.Rennstore.com
Pads & rotors

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
bfischer is infamous around these parts
It's not about being rational...

Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Rennstore.com
"This car is not an investment, it's a labor of love. It's too personal an experience to be measured in dollars and cents. It's a work of art IMO. Art provides more than a return on investment, it inspires and stimulates the viewer. The patience and commitment (not just financial but emotional) necessary to stay true to the vision is priceless.

I for one appreciate and admire every aspect of what the owner is attempting to achieve independent of whether or not I would choose the same path."
~~~~~~~~~~~
+2 to that! We don't NEED these cars, they are not commuters nor are they a tool to get to the supermarket.

It's all about PASSION!

Craig
www.Rennstore.com
Pads & rotors
Well said

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG BIRDS motor progress