993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

993TT Proto 3.8L Tuning Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Those headers seems to be original 993TT modified with T25 base flanges, and directed a bit higher for a gravity scavenge of the oil, the cross pipe is for heater purposes as I see it on the picture.Not a bad idea cost wise!

Last edited by Sonny; 04-30-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:04 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sonny
Those headers seems to be original 993TT modified with T25 base flanges, and directed a bit higher for a gravity scavenge of the oil, the cross pipe is for heater purposes as I see it on the picture.Not a bad idea cost wise!
Como va la fiebre en la Isla De'l Encanto?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Como va la fiebre en la Isla De'l Encanto?
Saludos, esta bien encendida! todo el mundo quiere 600hp pa' arriba!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
993TT Protosport tuning update: The car is tuned, broken in and ready for pickup! I will get her tomorrow and drive her home. Full review here to follow. Interestingly, John at Protosport today thinks after tuning the car on its hardware and working with the new mapping from Todd K. at Protomotive that we should be able to make 700+HP/lb-ft later this year merely by changing the turbo's (perhaps Garrett GT 3071R or 3076 or 35's), headers and adding wastegates without having to go to speed sensing and the emissions issues associated with that. But even at "Stage 1," good for 600-650HP/lb-ft, the car is FAST!!

Latest pics of the beast, including the H&R Clubsport suspension, completed engine bay sans IC and IC installed:

Attached Images     
Old 05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Wow beautiful engine bay. It'll be interesting if you keep the current stock sleeper look.
Btw, you may able to use the same tune that Todd K. just did on mine engine dyno and chasis dyno. The curve on it was ridiculous at 1.2bar.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Wow beautiful engine bay. It'll be interesting if you keep the current stock sleeper look.
Btw, you may able to use the same tune that Todd K. just did on mine engine dyno and chasis dyno. The curve on it was ridiculous at 1.2bar.
Thanks Vincent,

I picked up the car yesterday and drove her home-and what a blast! Definitely faster and more fun than stock-not that that was ever in doubt.

And John and Paul from Protosport in Pompton Plains, NJ were great-very knowledgeable and professional. I highly recommend contacting them for anyone around here who wants to properly but aggressively tune their Porsche's. And not just 911's. They had a great Boxster conversion in their shop-with a 996GT2 motor transplanted in with proper tail mods to cope with the extra power and space needs. And a 935.

I'll have more detailed performance reviews later, but the car just pulls from 2nd gear up with peak boost/torque between 4-5K rpm's, and as you lurch to the seatbacks during spoolup, the engine/exhaust changes from a racy, deep bass sound to a louder and higher-pitched shrill. But certainly not too loud for me. At idle, it has a nice rumble as though a sub-woofer were planted in the rear seats.

I've summarized the mechanical changes before, so here I'll just post some pics back at home, next to my 996TSCab:

Attached Images      
Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 PM
And as stated in previous posts on this thread, this is merely "Stage 1," since after inspection, we will later this year do "Stage 2" which will need only a turbo change (possibly from the Garrett GT2871R's in the current setup to GT3071R or GT3076R or GT35), wastegate mod. and re-programming. Per John at Protosport and my butt dyno, it currently has 600+HP/lb-ft, and he's confident that "Stage 2" will conservatively get us to 700+.

Right now we are peaking at around 18+psi, and for now I went with the Andial-like VDO boost gauge set into the left dash HVAC vent-perhaps later I'll try one of those LCD setups in one of the main gauges:

Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
And as stated in previous posts on this thread, this is merely "Stage 1," since after inspection, we will later this year do "Stage 2" which will need only a turbo change (possibly from the Garrett GT2871R's in the current setup to GT3071R or GT3076R or GT35), wastegate mod. and re-programming. Per John at Protosport and my butt dyno, it currently has 600+HP/lb-ft, and he's confident that "Stage 2" will conservatively get us to 700+.

Right now we are peaking at around 18+psi, and for now I went with the Andial-like VDO boost gauge set into the left dash HVAC vent-perhaps later I'll try one of those LCD setups in one of the main gauges:

Al
I have the Andial gauge on mine and find it very difficult to see. The LCD posted by Dave on RL seems a lot more functional and versatile. Anyhow, John did a fantastic job on your car. You will enjoy it for many years to come.

PS. Funny I too have a 996TT with all the GT700 stuffs. But I 'll wait to hear your comparison between the 2 beasts.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Al
I have the Andial gauge on mine and find it very difficult to see. The LCD posted by Dave on RL seems a lot more functional and versatile. Anyhow, John did a fantastic job on your car. You will enjoy it for many years to come.

PS. Funny I too have a 996TT with all the GT700 stuffs. But I 'll wait to hear your comparison between the 2 beasts.
Yes Vincent,

I saw Dave's LCD integrated gauge on RL, but decided to stick with the Andial gauge for now since my primary use for the boost gauge is to check for over- or under-boosting if the car doesn't feel right so I won't be looking at it too frequently. But I might change over to the LCD setup down the road.

And after driving this car for three days, I do say it is my favorite car, the whole air-cooled setup is more fun than the bigger chassis and larger wheelbase and greater weight of my 996TSCab. Granted, the cab adds weight too, but the 996 is also bigger with more insulation. And the 993 now is VERY FAST. And I still might change the GT2871R turbo's for bigger ones (possibly GT3071R) to get the power over 700+ later this year.

Al

Old 05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
EVOSPEC is infamous around these parts
loving it.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM
WHB Porsche is infamous around these parts
Al,

Let me know how useful you find the AC vent boost gauge.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Al,

Let me know how useful you find the AC vent boost gauge.
Charlie,

It allows me to perodically check for under- or over-boosting, although the car right now drives so fast at peak boost that I can barely hold on to the steering wheel at WOT at 5K rpm's, let alone peer down to the left to see where the needle is flying up to-so I can assume it's NOT under-boosting.

Ideally I would have a single digital readout in the tach or speedo gauge. I know of the other offerings available, but I don't want to eliminate the other data from the dashboard the other integrated boost gauges would impact. Overall, the setup suits me fine and I like the lack of vandalism to my dashboard.

Al

Old 05-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Charlie,

It allows me to perodically check for under- or over-boosting, although the car right now drives so fast at peak boost that I can barely hold on to the steering wheel at WOT at 5K rpm's, let alone peer down to the left to see where the needle is flying up to-so I can assume it's NOT under-boosting.

Ideally I would have a single digital readout in the tach or speedo gauge. I know of the other offerings available, but I don't want to eliminate the other data from the dashboard the other integrated boost gauges would impact. Overall, the setup suits me fine and I like the lack of vandalism to my dashboard.

Al
Al
What's worst about the position of the gauge is that it doesn't allow the passenger to view either. I am looking into doing the Greddy Emanage boost controller / gauge. It allows you to display,set and record boost,rpm and afr all on one screen.
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...t-p-10466.html

Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Al
What's worst about the position of the gauge is that it doesn't allow the passenger to view either. I am looking into doing the Greddy Emanage boost controller / gauge. It allows you to display,set and record boost,rpm and afr all on one screen.
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...t-p-10466.html
Cool,

Display pics when it's done. Where would you place the unit?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 AM
993ReDline is infamous around these parts
thats very much so a beast

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 993TT Proto 3.8L Tuning Pics