993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

What's too many miles to consider?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008 | 06:36 PM
|
Scott in Cincy is infamous around these parts
What's too many miles to consider?

I found a nice 993TT that is owned by a PCA member, is the original owner, and has some tasteful modifications. The only thing is, it's got 65k miles on it. It shows very nicely, and doesn't look like it has that much mileage on it.

Should I stay away from it because it's a moneypit waiting to happen? He seems like he knows the cars intimately, has replaced the shocks, intercooler, and done all of the maintenance because he intended to keep it forever. Unfortunately, bad health got in the way.

I'm not mechanically challenged, and can do a lot of work myself. I have access to a lift and all of the good tools I can use. I don't think I'd be up to do doing an R&I on cylinder heads, but a clutch doesn't bother me much.

If I put another 20k miles on this car, would it be pretty much worthless? I just don't want to lose my tail on it.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 08-04-2008 | 01:40 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
You will be fine, make sure you get a PPI done, they are super reliable, & 65kmi is nothing. My C4 just went over 80kmi & has been flawless.

Old 08-05-2008 | 11:12 AM
motomaniac4lif1 is infamous around these parts
that mileage isn't that bad i don't think you will have any problems with the car there awesome cars....if you just do a service on stuff then you should be good to go!

Old 08-05-2008 | 12:21 PM
Vincent is infamous around these parts
It all depends on how it was used and maintained. A few thousand miles on the track can do more damaged to a car than thousands of miles on the roads.

Old 08-05-2008 | 01:27 PM
|
Scott in Cincy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vincent
It all depends on how it was used and maintained. A few thousand miles on the track can do more damaged to a car than thousands of miles on the roads.
Good point...there seems to be a pretty steep value drop off after about 50k miles. I wonder if it's just the kind of car to keep forever and not worry about. I've got to find one to drive! Hard to tell if you want one over a 996TT if you can't find one to drive

Old 08-05-2008 | 04:57 PM
Vincent is infamous around these parts
I would start with a low mileage car from someone reputable and do a thorough PPI. Or even fly out and inspect the car yourself. The wears and tears of these 12 yo car really depends do depends on the mileage. And the parts are not cheap to replaced. That's why there's huge price drop as you mentioned.
I currently own both a 996TT and 993TT. I have the 993TT for almost 5 years and don't ever intend on selling it. A well kept 993TT is truly special and privileged to own. Do go and test drive one.

Old 08-09-2008 | 04:47 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have also been looking into the 993TT's. I currently own a 2004 996TT and have been quietly on this forum for some time now. I love the 993TT and plan on buying one in the next several months. I will keep both for a very long time. There is just something about the 993TT that just keeps me very interested. I find myself just looking at pics on this forum over and over.

Old 08-09-2008 | 07:34 PM
forhamilton is infamous around these parts
^^In the same boat. Think I found the perfect 993. Stay tuned.

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:06 PM
One of Twenty is infamous around these parts
Just bought mine two months ago with just shy of 40k on the odometer. You will be fine. Just get yourself a PPI............

Old 08-17-2008 | 01:29 AM
papadukes8 is infamous around these parts
I'm looking at one with 66K and the car is in great shape, I dont think it should be an issue. Get a PPI and you will be fine.

Old 08-17-2008 | 12:33 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Loving this thread! The 993TT market is polarizing and going into two natural directions now that the cars are 11-12 years old. There are the low mileage cars which are typically babied and commanding increasingly higher prices. Then there are the cars that are being driven on a more regular basis, some even as daily drivers (for which the 993TT is very well suited). Naturally, the cars in the latter camp are going to have higher miles on them.

If I were to buy a second 993TT, it would unquestionably be a car in the latter camp. And I would drive the sh*t out of it -- long distance trips any chance I could get. Heck, I'd probably sleep in the car if I could

After experiencing my first 993TT, which I will never sell, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a second one with higher miles as long as it passed the PPI with flying colors and I had some funds set aside for the occasional repair. Heck, if the engine blew I'd just mail it over to Ruf down the road for the rebuild

These cars are god's gift to drivers.

DAVID

Old 08-17-2008 | 10:12 PM
turbodan is infamous around these parts
+1 go for it. get a ppi and go see and drive the car yourself. these are great cars and if maintained can go forever. look for any leaks or body repairs. sounds like the present owner is an enthusiast and took car of the car. what colour is it? good luck

Old 08-18-2008 | 10:23 AM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Loving this thread! The 993TT market is polarizing and going into two natural directions now that the cars are 11-12 years old. There are the low mileage cars which are typically babied and commanding increasingly higher prices. Then there are the cars that are being driven on a more regular basis, some even as daily drivers (for which the 993TT is very well suited). Naturally, the cars in the latter camp are going to have higher miles on them.

If I were to buy a second 993TT, it would unquestionably be a car in the latter camp. And I would drive the sh*t out of it -- long distance trips any chance I could get. Heck, I'd probably sleep in the car if I could

After experiencing my first 993TT, which I will never sell, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a second one with higher miles as long as it passed the PPI with flying colors and I had some funds set aside for the occasional repair. Heck, if the engine blew I'd just mail it over to Ruf down the road for the rebuild

These cars are god's gift to drivers.

DAVID
I could not agree more. When I do add the 993tt to the stable, I won't shy away from a 40 or 50K mile car as long as it has been maintained and not abused.