993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Best Battery Charger/Maintainer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Do you have to plug the ctek directly on to the battery terminals? That would be a deal breaker for me...

Why did you need faster charger power? That would only seem to be necessary if you're constantly putting on a depleted battery.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
996Carrera is infamous around these parts
The Ctek gives you the option to use either the lighter socket, clamps or terminals to attach to the battery for longer peroids. The kit comes with three plugs to choose from.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
the993 is infamous around these parts
The one I got didnt come with cigarette lighter plug-in, so I have to plug it directly to the battery terminal.

As to faster chargin - since I am not using my car much, the battery power gets so low, often, that when I want to take a fast drive, its not there! More/faster charging power, is certainly needed in the circumstance.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996Carrera
The Ctek gives you the option to use either the lighter socket, clamps or terminals to attach to the battery for longer peroids. The kit comes with three plugs to choose from.
The cig adapter is the way to go then. It's so convenient!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by the993
The one I got didnt come with cigarette lighter plug-in, so I have to plug it directly to the battery terminal.

As to faster chargin - since I am not using my car much, the battery power gets so low, often, that when I want to take a fast drive, its not there! More/faster charging power, is certainly needed in the circumstance.
There's something wrong with your car then. Your car should not be getting low to begin with if it's on a trickle charger. You must have something drawing current somewhere in the system. Faster charging speed is generally only beneficial when the battery is completely drained. However, it should never get to that point when left on a trickle.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a 'BatteryTender' fan myself. I had a long lead with a weatherproof plug-in run from the battery and exiting the tow hook hole on my Ford and leave it on constantly. I recently purchased a Braille CF lightweight battery and the matching charger for my 997S. It seems very impressive. You may want to check it out. The charger works on any battery type. It even has a sensing mode for incorrect polarity. Really well constructed. I also hard-wired the plug in lead to the battery to make it more accessible.
Separately, converting one of these charger to work through the cigarette lighter (now the more politically correct '12V accessory) adaptor is a snap. PM me if you need a tip or two.

Originally Posted by the993

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by Verde
I'm a 'BatteryTender' fan myself. I had a long lead with a weatherproof plug-in run from the battery and exiting the tow hook hole on my Ford and leave it on constantly. I recently purchased a Braille CF lightweight battery and the matching charger for my 997S. It seems very impressive. You may want to check it out. The charger works on any battery type. It even has a sensing mode for incorrect polarity. Really well constructed. I also hard-wired the plug in lead to the battery to make it more accessible.
Separately, converting one of these charger to work through the cigarette lighter (now the more politically correct '12V accessory) adaptor is a snap. PM me if you need a tip or two.
So do you have to pop your hood to plug battery in? I use battery tenders for the boat and bike, but went with the Porsche unit for the car because it's easier to just use the cigarette lighter.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
I use a few battery tenders. Yes I need to pop hood, but I hard wired a connector to make it easier. Had to return the Porsche one, as the 12V disconnects when the key is removed on my 928. I have a double battery tender that works real well for my car parked on a lift, gives me a lead for the up and down car.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
On the Ford, I have a long lead that exits (almost invisibly) the tow hook hole and protrudes about an inch, ending in a weatherproof connector. I just plug in, and have no issue with keeping the car cover on.
On the Porsche, where I just installed a new battery (the Braille), I left the connector extending into the trunk area, so I currently have to crack the trunk to 'plug in'. However I plan to extend it to exit some part of the front bumper much as I did with the Ford.
In the case of the 'Tender, I also have a cigarette lighter adapter (it's an option from the same company) to plug in to the lighter if I need to.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
So do you have to pop your hood to plug battery in? I use battery tenders for the boat and bike, but went with the Porsche unit for the car because it's easier to just use the cigarette lighter.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
JoshBsZ is infamous around these parts
i use a deltran battery tender. never failed me

Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 AM
the993 is infamous around these parts
HELP!! A friend bought new Porsche battery for his 993TT in January 2009. Drove it for a while, then left sitting in garage for some 6-7 weeks. Now, again, car not starting, dead as in DEAD flat battery!

I recently ordered two Ctek battery chargers. X3600 and X7000. Gave him the X3600 for his car. For past couple of days he been trying to charge the damn battery, it aint charging! I know that Ctek is more of a battery maintainer than a real charger - but the Porsche battery on his car is new (01/2009). What can be done to recover the damn battery - should he use one of those huge industrial battery chargers, wud it help recovery. And why Ctek 3600 hasnt shown any potential, at all!! After one full day of charging still no glimmer of light/current anywhere in car!

Appreciate advice, recomm for recovering dead flat battery*

Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
grawe is infamous around these parts
Go to a VW or Audi dealer and get and get one for free.