993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Current reliability of 993tt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned
brandongt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TorqueChap
993 > 996 no comparison.

993s rule. for a reason
This whole section is ridiculous with you owners I've listened to this crap way too long. The 996's are SUPERIOR in just about every damn category you can think of. You people that have a hard on for the "last of the air cooled engines" can think what you want, but the 993's are not even close to the 996's in reliability and performance.

I'd take a 996 tt over a 993tt ANY DAY OF THE WEEK because I'm not just looking to "keep an investment" and want to actually get the performance and reliability out of my car when I drive it.

I guess its you kind of people that make a older, less reliable, out preformed car such as the 993TT feel "superior" in the porsche world. Give me a break.

Last edited by brandongt3; 10-22-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 AM
LT1
LT1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brandongt3
The 996's are SUPERIOR in just about every damn category you can think of
Hillary Clinton is superior in many ways to Heidi Klum (reliability? intelligence? foreign relations?) but who would you rather 'drive'?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:08 AM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brandongt3
This whole section is ridiculous with you owners I've listened to this crap way too long. The 996's are SUPERIOR in just about every damn category you can think of. You people that have a hard on for the "last of the air cooled engines" can think what you want, but the 993's are not even close to the 996's in reliability and performance
Wasn't going to respond to this rant, but couldn't help myself. However, this is my only response as I don't have the time to be goaded into a meaningless exchange.

First: A well-maintained 993 is far superior in workmanship to a 996. Don't be misled by age as that's sometimes a faulty metric. The 993 is a vastly better engineered machine. Don't forget that the 996 had several reliability issues when it first debuted.

Second: The fact that my 12-year-old 993TT can essentially keep up with a brand new Porsche Turbo (within a few tenths of a second when driven by a professional) speaks volumes about this car's legendary performance.

Third: Porsche enthusiasts tend to be quite rational. There's a reason why the 993s hold their values far better than 996s... and 997s.

BUT, value is in the eye of the beholder. You're naturally welcome to your opinion. I merely suggest that you bring it back to the 996 forum. And collect a few rep points while you're at it.

EOM

Another poster is welcome to redirect the thread moving forward.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:42 AM
[ES]Photography is infamous around these parts
Personally, I think the 996's are pretty ugly. I think the 993's and the 997's (which resemble 993) are much better looking. But I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Wasn't going to respond to this rant, but couldn't help myself. However, this is my only response as I don't have the time to be goaded into a meaningless exchange.

First: A well-maintained 993 is far superior in workmanship to a 996. Don't be misled by age as that's sometimes a faulty metric. The 993 is a vastly better engineered machine. Don't forget that the 996 had several reliability issues when it first debuted.

Second: The fact that my 12-year-old 993TT can essentially keep up with a brand new Porsche Turbo (within a few tenths of a second when driven by a professional) speaks volumes about this car's legendary performance.

Third: Porsche enthusiasts tend to be quite rational. There's a reason why the 993s hold their values far better than 996s... and 997s.

BUT, value is in the eye of the beholder. You're naturally welcome to your opinion. I merely suggest that you bring it back to the 996 forum. And collect a few rep points while you're at it.

EOM

Another poster is welcome to redirect the thread moving forward.
Couldn't agree more!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned

Wow........this forum is great.

Thats like me saying my 1100+rwhp supra can keep up with a turbo hyabusa crotch rocket within a few "tenths of a second by a professional driver" WHAT THE HELL does that have to do with anything? Professional driver? WTF.....

If your car is factory, which I hope it is so you don't risk blowing anything up, how can you say your car keeps up with a new porsche turbo lol...this is too funny. You car will get smoked by a 996TT ALL DAY LONG..and it wont be close either, let alone a 2009 or especially the new 2010 porsche turbos....get a grip and get off your high horse of the 993's. Everybody knows the value is only higher due to "the air cooled engines" because its a "porsche history icon" and you guys act like they're better than the water cooled engines. GIVE ME A BREAK.

Last edited by brandongt3; 10-24-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by rednoble
could you please also expound upon the virtues of a ferrari 360 spider w/ 22" chrome wheels and how it would 'smoke ALL DAY LONG' a 250 gto?

perhaps you could offer some opinions on the virtues of gordon's vodka for its superior alcohol content to an opus one cabernet?

perhaps juxtapose a trashy pr0n star w/ giant bolt ons vs. emmanuelle chriqui?

personally, i'll enjoy the 250 gto, cab and ms. chriqui and offer you their counterparts. perhaps you don't understand, and that's totally okay with me as well

i'll bet you a bunch of 996 guys have a fond appreciation for the character, charisma and beauty that the 993s posses. i bet they also appreciate their wonderful cars in part because of the importance their history and lineage possess in the world of motorcars.

cheers!
If you guys enjoy paying more for a less engineered out-dated looking car than all power to ya.

Its no wonder the majority of the 993 owners are 40+ years old...really explains a lot. Do you guys also think the late 80's and early 90's corvettes look better than the new c6's? This is your logic here, the 80's and 90's corvettes have more history and "lineage"

Its funny how you say the 993 has a heritage and the 996 or 997 doesn't. Wasn't it built by the same country? The same basic group of individuals? Do you think the engineers of Porsche all sat down one day and said "Lets find a way to cut costs and create the 996 or 997 Porshce and give it less engineering, less power, and just downgrade it as much as possible" SERIOUSLY GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE.

I want you to sit here right now and tell me your damn early 90's porsche is better than the 2009 or 2010 porsche turbo. Go ahead, tell me. I really want you to. Tell me your 993 porsche is better engineered, and was built better performance wise than a 996 and 997.

The fact is the 993 is FAR MORE outdated looking than the 996 and 997. The 996 and 997's are not only better looking exterior and interior wise, but they are also better engineered in just about every aspect you can think of. If you guys enjoy paying TRIPLE or more for a less engineered car ONLY because its a damn "air cooled" engine then go ahead. No sweat of my back. Just makes the better porsches cheaper to buy

Last edited by brandongt3; 10-25-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM
rednoble is infamous around these parts
and den?

you probably prefer the engineering of your timex to panerai/rolex/hublot as well.

perhaps you should saunter back to a forum where household appliances that live in the garage are more appreciated. in terms of appliances though, i'd wager the gt-r trumps your cars in every one of the categories you've purported the 996 to be superior in.

what color are your underbody neons?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
<grabs a bag of popcorn...>

Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 PM
rednoble is infamous around these parts
how eloquent.

enjoy the timex junior, wish I could say it surprises me that you define the value of cars by their ability to mask your (apparently considerable) deficiencies sufficiently to dupe women of similar IQ into the passenger seat.

and that's my last post on this charming thread.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM
richtor is infamous around these parts
the 993 turbo is the best looking porsche of all time! which is exactly why porsche went back to the look with the 997. the difference being the 997 is still bigger and has the advanced luxuries of the 996. once had a porsche owner tell me that the 993 is a sports car and the 996 is a lexus. i believe he hit the nail on the head with that statement.

the 1995 993tt is slow? 0-60 in 4 flat is slow? maybe when comparing it to a 1000+hp car, yes it would be. but the 993tt can be modded too. what do you run in your supra? 9.9 @145? you should be faster, you have way more power.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Porsche-911...lip-12492.html

or what about stock compared to the ferrari of its day? the 993tt was way ahead of its time!
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09...-993-Turbo.htm

good vid comparing the 997tt to the 993tt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OwjBYwhdhU

Last edited by richtor; 10-26-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
[ES]Photography is infamous around these parts
^
Hard to read what you wrote but... I much prefer the 993 to the 996. I think that the 993's are much better looking but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So what if it's not as fast? I think it's got more character and charisma. I see 996's everywhere all day long, it doesn't even turn my head anymore. When I see a 993, I actually stare and adore it. When someone buys a 993 over a 996, you know that they're actually an enthusiast, and that they really wanted that car, and didn't just buy it 'cause everyone else had one.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Any more insults here will result in a closed thread, and a temporary ban if you've already posted to that effect..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by justinmm2
Any more insults here will result in a closed thread, and a temporary ban if you've already posted to that effect..
Thank you, Justin

Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 AM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
993, 996, 997, I love them all, they each have something a bit unique to their respective generations and I can appreciate them all. They are still after all a Porsche at the end of the day. German engineering and passion at its finest.

Last edited by ORYX; 11-29-2009 at 06:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Current reliability of 993tt?