993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

993 Turbo or MB Black Series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned
brandongt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I think the 993tt is the best looking 911 ever. IEspecially if it's a RUF conversion, I think the choice is obvious.
agreed....wish I could afford one.....maybe someday. *Inspiration*

Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
kave is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JJayB
I don't agree, but I have been tracking and racing 911 turbos for years, so I am biased. I have also been into Ruf Turbos as of late, so the comparison becomes even more confused. I just think that the Merc, although it drives well, is not even in the same league as a well prepared 993 TT at the track.
OK, I've raced tt also (since 87) and did the some of the development for Andial. I held the class record at POC for 10 years in a turbo. I have a very potent 3.8tt (630 hp) and there is no question a modifed 3tt is formidable so for me to make the statements I have it's based on first hand experience not what somebody told me or I read.

However, I doubt you've driven a CLK63 BS. Stock for stock it will be faster with the same driver. It is far more track accomplished and far easier to drive than the porsche. It has a better power to weight, way better throttle response, better turn in and better high speed stability. Porsche gets the nod for better brakes, but the BS can put the power down sooner in spite of the all wheel drive. The best set up stock turbo on R tires with M030's suspension turn 1:34 at Willow Springs. I've seen stock BS run 1:33.s.
It was designed to compete with Gt3's which it does very well.
Jimmy[/quote]

I just saw this thread, and i am thinking of buying a black series. 1.33 at willow springs seems very unlikley. Is that in the corvette z06 range or nissan gtr range, or 997 turbo. Please let me know

thx

Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
993 all the way....just looking at that red one on the first page gets me excited....lol

Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
]
[/QUOTE]

Just a classic. Porsche there is no substitute.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kave
OK, I've raced tt also (since 87) and did the some of the development for Andial. I held the class record at POC for 10 years in a turbo. I have a very potent 3.8tt (630 hp) and there is no question a modifed 3tt is formidable so for me to make the statements I have it's based on first hand experience not what somebody told me or I read.

However, I doubt you've driven a CLK63 BS. Stock for stock it will be faster with the same driver. It is far more track accomplished and far easier to drive than the porsche. It has a better power to weight, way better throttle response, better turn in and better high speed stability. Porsche gets the nod for better brakes, but the BS can put the power down sooner in spite of the all wheel drive. The best set up stock turbo on R tires with M030's suspension turn 1:34 at Willow Springs. I've seen stock BS run 1:33.s.
It was designed to compete with Gt3's which it does very well.
Jimmy
I just saw this thread, and i am thinking of buying a black series. 1.33 at willow springs seems very unlikley. Is that in the corvette z06 range or nissan gtr range, or 997 turbo. Please let me know

thx[/QUOTE]

Well driven Zo6's are in the low 1:32's which is close to the times of GT-Rs.
The stock 997 turbo.1 are very softly sprung and seem to be around 1:36's.
I've gone head to head with several GT3's and the times are in the 1:34.s
The Viper ACR's are below 1:30's!

What is overlooked is the fact that the BS has a seam welded and trianguled chassis with fully adjustable KW suspension. It shines in the high speed sweepers where the Porsche's are white knuckle rides.
I don't blame you for being skeptical more than one porsche and viper driver has come up to me after a session and remark how impressed they are with the BS. BTW, there are several accounts of 1:32's by pro drivers on MBWorld.org.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
kave is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JJayB

thx
Well driven Zo6's are in the low 1:32's which is close to the times of GT-Rs.
The stock 997 turbo.1 are very softly sprung and seem to be around 1:36's.
I've gone head to head with several GT3's and the times are in the 1:34.s
The Viper ACR's are below 1:30's!

What is overlooked is the fact that the BS has a seam welded and trianguled chassis with fully adjustable KW suspension. It shines in the high speed sweepers where the Porsche's are white knuckle rides.
I don't blame you for being skeptical more than one porsche and viper driver has come up to me after a session and remark how impressed they are with the BS. BTW, there are several accounts of 1:32's by pro drivers on MBWorld.org.[/quote]

You are making it so hard to walk away from the blk series. The fastest o i got woth my m6 is 1.38 at willow. If i could only find the right price. Thank you for the information. I did not know how special this car really is.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
You are making it so hard to walk away from the blk series. The fastest o i got woth my m6 is 1.38 at willow. If i could only find the right price. Thank you for the information. I did not know how special this car really is.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that you won't loose your warrantee if you track the car.
Jimmy

Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Chinchini is infamous around these parts
yes i agree its an obvious choice for the 993

Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
BealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud of
Great thread, I've been battling the same thoughts lately with these two plus a few others so be glad you got your choices down to two.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 AM
trinitony is a jewel in the roughtrinitony is a jewel in the roughtrinitony is a jewel in the roughtrinitony is a jewel in the rough
What did the OP end up with?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 AM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
imho, from purely an investment standpoint 993tt > clk bs. Proof in the puddin' is that the 993tt keeps appreciating whereas BS prices keep falling. both are REMARKABLE cars. and, naturally, there are a host of other reasons for buying a car other than return on investment.

either way, post up what you ended up deciding on!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
yucky 7speed in clkblack

I don't like the 7 speed auto. To be honest they aren't that bad and are leaps above the old 5 speed but after driving the PDK there is just no comparison.

I'd vote for the 993 ... just classic. I remember buying my 997.2 turbo and then seeing the thread about kevin's 993 ruf and was drooling.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future

cough cough...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
The CLK may be safer....and cheaper to run.

The 993 is way more classic....probably more involving to drive...if you like that, perhaps more fun....but far more flawed.

Me, I like 911's... had a 993. I loved that car...should have kept it. Slower than any of these (it was N/A)...but it was fun.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 AM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by photogS
Wow, what a choice. I love both but what kills BS for me is no MT available. 993 is arguably the best looking 911 and probably won't never date. I'd go 993, but quite honestly how can you go wrong either way?
I wish someone offered a 6sp manual conversoin for the BS!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo or MB Black Series?