993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

993 Turbo or MB Black Series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
SunDevilFan is infamous around these parts
993 Turbo or MB Black Series?

Hello Everyone! I posted this on this sub-forum after also posting in the MB area as well. I'm not sure if I did something to delete the thread, so I'm re-posting to get some feedback from the 993 crowd. Moderators, If I'm double posting I sincerely apologize, but I can't find my post from last night. I've been visiting this site for months now, and finally decided to join. I'm starting to think this is the coolest automotive site on the planet!

I'm currently the proud owner of an '08 Viper (vert) and love it. My daily driver is an '06 MB E320 CDI that I love as well. If everything goes as planned, I'm looking to add a ride to the stable this winter. I've narrowed my choice down to two vehicles (I think ) and thought I'd throw out the question of "what would you pick and why?". So, here it is...

I've always LOVED the looks of 993 911 turbos and have always dreamt of owning one someday. I'm looking at possibly picking up a full-package Ruf conversion. As everyone probably has seen, the Ruf packaged 993's are stunning (see KMY's unbelievable car in the 993 sub-forum....WOW!) and I think I may have found one if I'd be willing to buy now instead of waiting until winter. My other option is to purchase a regular 993 turbo and send it to Ruf for their magical work. I've never owned a Porsche in my life and have had a hard time figuring out how reliable they really are if maintained well.

The other car that I've loved since I layed eyes on it is the CLK63 AMG Black Series. I've always been a huge MB fan and couldn't believe how beautiful the BS was the first time I saw it. My wife is very interested in the car since it's an automatic, but I of course would prefer a manual. The car appears to be very well built and built to be very durable. One huge benefit to this car is its available warranty thru MB, especially if it's a CPO.

These cars are so different, I can't even believe I'm considering one or the other. I like the Porsche because I think it would hold it's value better in the long run, it has a manual transmission, it's got a classic look, and it's an all-wheel drive monster. I like the BS because it's a newer, arguably more reliable/durable vehicle, it would please the wife since it has an automatic, it's probably more comfortable than the Porsche, I'd assume less expensive to maintain than the Porsche and extremely aggessive looking. I'm willing to bet they're probably pretty close in the performance arena, especially if I was able to get a Ruf car.

So, if you had a budget of roughly $80k-$85k, which would you choose and why? I'm looking for something to compliment my Viper, so a little comfort and civility in my next vehicle is important to me (but still has an edge to it). Most of all, I want something that is reliable and durable and won't bleed me dry from maintenance costs. Oh, either car will be with me for the long haul unless something unfortunate comes up, so this won't be a buy and sell within a year type of vehicle.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
kmy
kmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to behold
Hi there. Welcome!

Decisions, decisions... Congrats on narrowing it down to 2 cars! Both great choices IMO, but very different as you mention.

Are you thinking of buying the black turbo R? great car and the current owner is a great guy. If it's the car I'm thinking about, it's a very special car and one of the first turbo R's to come out of RUF. Some extra goodies as well and from what I hear, a monster on the road.

You mentioned $80-$85K budget, which may be a limiting factor on the turbo R, depending on what you'd like the guys at RUF to do. It's pretty easy for the bills to add up especially if you go with the body work as well.

A friend of mine just sold his 993 turbo S and bought a CLK BS as a daily driver and he loves it. Took me for a ride and the car is a beast. All the modern day luxuries and the car hauls. Love the look as well.

Given how different the cars are I think ultimately this is a decision that comes down to passion, not performance, maintenance, depreciation etc.

Figure out which one tugs at those heart strings more and go for it!!!

A few pics to help with your decision.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
obrienkp is infamous around these parts
Having driven both, I think the Turbo would be a more practical choice. The black series can get a bit jarring at times while I felt the Turbo had a more comfortable ride. Also, the lack of a manual tranny becomes tiresome in the BS. The car is like 70's power american muscle with an MB badge. The interior is alot of plastic too. I dont know about reliability in the old water cooled porsches but the CPO on the BS probably is a huge plus. If you like to hammer the throttle and burn through $1000 worht of rear tires in about 7K, the BS is the car for you. Plenty of storage room (although the trunk is alike a f-ing over over the exhaust system.)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by obrienkp
Having driven both, I think the Turbo would be a more practical choice. The black series can get a bit jarring at times while I felt the Turbo had a more comfortable ride. Also, the lack of a manual tranny becomes tiresome in the BS. The car is like 70's power american muscle with an MB badge. The interior is alot of plastic too. I dont know about reliability in the old water cooled porsches but the CPO on the BS probably is a huge plus. If you like to hammer the throttle and burn through $1000 worht of rear tires in about 7K, the BS is the car for you. Plenty of storage room (although the trunk is alike a f-ing over over the exhaust system.)
I really appreciate the feedback and will take what you've mentioned into consideration.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Kevin, I can't believe you have pics of both cars side-by-side! Thank you soooo very much for posting them. I think these pics will be extremely valuable in helping me decide. And to answer your question about the black Ruf R, I'm not sure we're talking about the same one, but the one I've got my eye on is black. I'd be more interested in white, silver or red, but I'd consider black if everything falls in place accordingly.

I really appreciate reliability and build quality in my vehicles and have to be honest in that it will play a major factor in my decision making. How would you rate/describe each in your 993? I understand your position in stating that maintenance costs shouldn't be a deciding factor, and do agree...but it does have an influence on me. Do you mind sharing your experience in this regard? Are you having your car maintained at a local Porsche dealership and if so, how do they react to having a car with a Ruf package?

A couple weeks ago, I had my pick of cars down to the GT-R, 997 turbo, BS and 993 turbo. I really like the 997 turbo as well, but decided I wasn't willing to come up with the extra cash to get into one at the present time. I did like the fact that it was a substantially newer car compared to the 993, but in the end I think I've determined that if I'm going to go with a Porsche I have to go with the 993 since it's got the better lines. Anyway, you've got one hell of a car and I really appreciate all the feedback so far and the wonderful pics! Thanks again!

Last edited by SunDevilFan; 09-01-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 AM
kmy
kmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to behold
I've really had zero issues with the RUF so far. Don't get to drive it as much as i'd like and have only put on about 5K miles in the last 18 months. That being said the car seems to get faster by the mile. I had a bunch of other small upgrades done over the months including 996 turbo return lines to eliminate any smoke at startup, center exhaust, mirrors, etc. but these were upgrades not repairs.

The car is much smaller than the 997's, no where near as luxurious, but IMO has a lot more character. This car is visceral. Actually drives and feels very similar to the 997 gt3 other than being turbo charged. Much closer to the gt cars in it's current form than the 997tt.

In terms of build quality, I think it's first rate, but also keep in mind this is 12 year old technology. there have definitely been improvements over that time, but I think this RUF can easily hang with the newer cars.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 AM
MegaLoL is infamous around these parts
I don't know how you guys, but I think 993TT is much better looking car than CLK BS.. Not to mention how does RUF look compare to CLK from this pics.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM
bbs993tt is infamous around these parts
What an interesting dilemma. I'm obviously a huge fan of the 993tt but I've been tempted by the same BS as well. Two great cars for sure. I'm going to echo Kevin's thoughts about the 993 being so visceral. IMHO much more so than the 997tt.

I'd vote for the 993tt with the Ruf conversion. (Got to watch Kevin's car undergo it's transformation) I've thought very hard about converting mine and may still do it someday. Easier for me since Ruf Dallas is so close. I have ridden/driven a lot of Ruf vin cars and Ruf conversions and can say their work is second to none.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I think the 993tt is the best looking 911 ever. IEspecially if it's a RUF conversion, I think the choice is obvious.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
sammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of light
Not to make your life any harder... but I think '07 997TT Coupes are getting close to your price range.

There is an artic silver one WITH PCCB and 15K miles for $86K

Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by sammyf
Not to make your life any harder... but I think '07 997TT Coupes are getting close to your price range.

There is an artic silver one WITH PCCB and 15K miles for $86K

Wow, I didn't realize they were even close to this range. Thanks for the heads-up. Until a week or so ago, the 997TT was still in the running since the interior is so nice but I thought the 993 was just a little more eye pleasing from the exterior, and that the 997TT was a little more than I wanted to pay for another toy. If they're getting to the upper $80's range, maybe I'll re-think it. Heck, I even started thinking about the GT-R today when I saw one running down the road.

Even thou it's a difficult decision, it really is fun thinking about the possibilities. A friend of mine (well, business associate) is considering an SL65 AMG Black Series right now so we've been talking cars a lot the last few days.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:33 PM
sammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of light
It is indeed fun...

I am wrestling with 997TT or F360.

Here's that 997TT:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ite-997tt.html

Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
993 turbo r

If anybody knows about this or any 993 turbo R for sale and you pass on it yourself could you PM me the details. thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
toddturbos is infamous around these parts
I'm the guy that had the 1997 Turbo S and currently have the BS, which is the one pictured in Kevin's posting.

Bottom line, the 993 Turbo is a much better looking car, will hold its value and IMO, has the endless classic clean lines that will never go out of style, not to mention that it's one of most solid cars I've driven and will always capture the looks when driving down the main street!

The BS is just plain violent, it's very responsive, tracks well and doesn't require as much thought to drive i.e., you don't need to warm it up or cool town the Turbo's after being on full boost. I’m not a big fan of the paddle shifting, seems to run better in the sport automatic mode. Just get in and go.

For the record, I’ve never taken either on the track and I’m not all that great of a drive and do not come close to pushing either of these cars to the limit, so I’m not that well qualified to comment too much about the technical aspect of how these cars perform, however, both are great drivers cars.

Now, if you ask me if I regret selling my Turbo S, the answer is yes, still kicking myself to this day. I’m already considering looking for another 97 Turbo S, so long as I can swing keeping the BS as well.

Good luck.
Todd

Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
I've got both, and maybe it's unfair comparison as my 993tt is heavily modified and a good deal faster. The BS is much better car to drive on the street and track.
As far as looks, most people recognize the porsche shape, and thinks it's another porsche, but they stare at the BS, as they know it's something special.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo or MB Black Series?