993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Garrett GT28 turbo for 993 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
Garrett GT28 turbo for 993 TT

What do you guys think about GT28's going on a 993 TT. Any experience, THoughts, comments, wisdom. Please let me know. I think this is the way I want to go with the Top end section rebuilding.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by carmstrongLS1
What do you guys think about GT28's going on a 993 TT. Any experience, THoughts, comments, wisdom. Please let me know. I think this is the way I want to go with the Top end section rebuilding.
I had GT2871 turbo's on my Protomotive (Protosport in NJ) tune on my 993TT before moving up to GT3076 turbo's (my current setup, also tuned by Protosport). The 28's spooled earlier and were fun (on a 3.8L Mahle P/C conversion with twin-plug, Pauter rods and Protomotive plumbing), but we moved up to the 30's for big top-end power-now the car is insane-in a good way.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
GT28 setup

I want to keep the car relatively stock internally I guess. I have had the entire motor gone through and resealed. Thinking about some Scargo harpipes for the intercooler too. As far as twin plug goes, Since my top end is being rebuilt right now. What should I do? I guess I should just buy your 993 JK. I want to keep the car streetable and 3.6 for now. Is it gonna be alot faster than the current K1624 setup with bypass and other typical boltons that I have with the 2871's?

In a nutshell... I want 600 whp. feasable on my internals?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I ask these questions because I really dislike wasting money and time. Lately it seems it spends more time in te shop than anything. I know they need to be babied. But evidently the previous owner just kept on and on when he should have built fomr the ground up internally. So I have ended up picking up the pieces and don't want to destroy the car. Please advise. You seem to have mucho experience with 993TT.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Contact Todd K/Protomotive and he wil be abel to guide you.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
+ 1 Contact Todd Knighton. For years he has been building and tuning some of the fastest and most reliable 993TTs. He built mine five years ago and it's still runs like a brand new car.
That said, if I had to do it all over again I would keep it simple with 3.6L single plug,, upgraded pistons and rods,some head works, cams, K24/18g turbos and exhaust. This may give you 550awhp.
The extra 50 awhp you want may cost you an arm or a leg.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Todd K.

Yeah he has some K2418G turbos for sale now. I am really torn on how to go I also think that you guys are right about that extra fifty being costly. I am ready to do some power mods. I just dont want to butcher the car.

Big question... Just how fast are these cars with 550-600 rwhp?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Remember the 933TT weighs a lot less than the 996TT. So at 550 awhp you are very fast.
To get the extra 50 awhp you will need 3.8L twin plug, head works, ceramic clutch, and a new suspension setups. You may be looking at extra $25-40K.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
yes, I know the weight difference is substantial. Just curious if anyone has real numbers for this power range. I am having the top end work done and was thinking of going twin plug 3.6 while the heads were off for the rebuild since it doesn't cost that much Moreover if I go with a nice ignition like Akram at motorwerk said and maintain stock head configuration it leaves more budget to do a solid turbo upgrade and fuel delivery type package. GT2 camshafts are going into it. I think this is my list so far:

Gt2871 turbos
Adj. 5 bar FPR
stainless valves and AASCO springs
Some billet DV's (ideas please)
GT2 EVO cams (DC-43)
Crane Ignition

Sound good?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
As stated by Vincent and others above, getting to 600+ will require more work and $$. John Gulino from Protosport did my engine build and tuning with Todd K.'s programming. I obviously recommend them highly.

I am not a tuner myself, just an enthusiast, but with GT28's on stock setup versus K16/24's, it's hard to say if you would notice a major difference in power, and I am not sure if anything more than 525HP is reliable on the stock setup.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
That said, if I had to do it all over again I would keep it simple with 3.6L single plug,, upgraded pistons and rods,some head works, cams, K24/18g turbos and exhaust.
I will politely but vehemently disagree with you on this point.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Well, I just want a faster car. Wish the newer ones had all the old school character. We have a 996 carrera. Its a nice driver. Once I was ging to sell my 993, Forever and ever then couldn't find any buyers in this market so I could get a 996TT or 997TT. Not sure what to do but thanks for the advice. It seems as if I should just do the top end rebuild to stock and sell it. With such a short ceiling to power holding capabilities on this engine its frustrating. I have tuned stock bottom end LS1 engines to make huge power alot easier. I know those are completely different monsters but power is power. I am building a big block chevy right now and a cam, long tube headers, ECU tune yeilds like 80 hp increase. Not 40k rebuild by any means.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Wanted a 993TT for a long time, bought a 993 Carrera in 96 and did not have the dough to get the 993TT back then. In early 2000's had the money to buy a 993TT but they cost as much as a new one did in 96. Did not like the 996TT at all and was torn at having to pay list price for a used 993TT. In late 06 when the 997TT came out and jumped on it and have not looked back. The 996TT/997TT GT1 based engine is an amazing kit with tremendous potential for power in stock form.

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 05-10-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Well guys... Todd K. and Akram will be hard at work on it now, It's official. I just got my email. Motorwerk has the car in possession. Streetable, Fast, and as reliable as it can get. 550whp is the goal. So cross your fingers for me please. Cams, Valvetrain, Turbos, ignition, and fuel.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
You are in good hands and will be happy with the results.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garrett GT28 turbo for 993 TT