993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Help needed regarding vendor for wheels bad paint job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 PM
swole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura about
Angry Help needed regarding vendor for wheels bad paint job

hey guys - need some help/direction. LONG POST FYI....

I purchased some wheels from a vendor down here in Miami. Now they provided the wheels as powder coated. I had my car in a shop 3 days later to have the suspension done. As the tech worked on my car the paint started the chip off on all the wheels around the edge of the hole, not inside the hole but on the edge and top part leading into the hole. Now I was told by my engineer that is was b/c the wheel was not powder coated properly. I called the wheel manufacture and he stated that is was caused by damage and wouldn't warranty the wheel. Then I got to have a conversation with the owner of the wheel company that stated if I could prove the wheel was not powder coated properly he would repair them. I took the wheel to a powder coating shop were is was verified by them that the wheel was not coated properly and the owner of the powder coating company knows the wheel manufacture and called him personally and told him the wheels where not powder coated properly. After this conversation the wheel manufacture still did not want to fix the wheels. Even though he agreed that this person(powder coat guy) i was taking the wheels to be looked at was a professional and whatever he said would be the correct opinion on the actual powder coating of the wheel.

Now once I left the powder coat shop and was speaking with the wheel manufacture about this situation he got irate. At first he said he would refund me and then took it back. I told him if had just fixed the wheels in the beginning there wouldn't be an issue. Now that I know more about the wheels and how badly the workman ship is I am worried about everything else. So I stated I wasn't happy and wanted a full refund. So after that he said I was trying f()*)*))) him etc... I told him if that was the case I wouldn't have jumped through hoops to get to this point and would have just called Amex and have them deal with...Well I had to call Amex. I even got a second opinion from another shop about an hour away from my house. I also found out these wheels are not DOT certified or built to SAE specs....My main concerns after looking at the wheel is the actual build...As the screws on the back for holding the 3 pieces together came off so easily a 1 year could have screwed it off....

I cannot get any of these shops to write and actual opinion for me b/c they don't want to get involved and they know the main company that manufactured the wheels and do business with them....

Sorry for long post just venting...but need to figure out how to get some proof in writing for Amex.

Also - found another owner of the same manufacture and his paint is peeling off after a year and only 1500 miles of driving. Rust on the bolts on the back of the wheel also......

What can I do....

Excuse all spelling and grammar errors please....

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM
speednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of light
First and formost...who was the manufacturer of the wheel? If you have honestly tried to come to some sort of resolution and are not being heard. It's time to name the culprit(can help some of us who may be looking for a wheel set purchase) Amex can be pretty good at getting your money back. If not small claims court is an option(if the vendor is local to you). A complaint filed with the BBB is always a plus.

Powder coating done properly can be pretty hard to chip. Don't keep them on the car if you plan to pursue a refund. Remove them until a resolution has been found.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, There are good guys and there are bad guys..sounds like you ended up with one of the bad...the plus side is, you did use your Amex...

Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 PM
swole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura aboutswole305 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry I cross posted with 997 forums -

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...direction.html