993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

Suggestions for Interior Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 AM
tshawa is infamous around these parts
Suggestions for Interior Restoration Project

Hi everybody,

I just got through restoring my 94 993, and have not worked on the interior yet. I am planning to get it done within the next couple of months.

Any suggestions as to whether I should change the interior color, or should I just restore the existing color? Also, should I integrate suede into the mix, such as the shift ****, roof lining, middle of the seats, or should I go for leather all over?

You can check out exterior and interior shots of the car to help me out at https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=1#post1806976

The current interior combo is light gray with dark gray dash.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
bbs993tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tshawa
Hi everybody,

I just got through restoring my 94 993, and have not worked on the interior yet. I am planning to get it done within the next couple of months.

Any suggestions as to whether I should change the interior color, or should I just restore the existing color? Also, should I integrate suede into the mix, such as the shift ****, roof lining, middle of the seats, or should I go for leather all over?

You can check out exterior and interior shots of the car to help me out at https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=1#post1806976

The current interior combo is light gray with dark gray dash.
I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. If it's a long term keeper, in my opinion, you can vary from the original colors, materials, etc. If you are restoring to sell, I think I'd stick to stock colors and materials.

From your pics on the other thread, it looks like you changed the exterior color but the pre-restoration interior and exterior pics look like an excellent condition car. Why the restoration? Just curious.

BBS

Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, I would change it black, or another color, I don't like the white, but in your climate, it might be better. It really looks like it's in great shape! You might want to fix the crocked e-break lever.

If I had the $$ & time, I would get the factory carbon fiber pieces. leather cover everything else, including the steering wheel airbag. I like the OEM headliner, but punched leather might looks sweet!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. If it's a long term keeper, in my opinion, you can vary from the original colors, materials, etc. If you are restoring to sell, I think I'd stick to stock colors and materials.

From your pics on the other thread, it looks like you changed the exterior color but the pre-restoration interior and exterior pics look like an excellent condition car. Why the restoration? Just curious.

BBS
Hey BBS, I DO plan on keeping it around for a long time. After all the work and money I have put into it, it would be a real shame to ever part with it.

Believe me, the car looked good from far, but was far from good. There was rust developing all around the front and rear windshields due to improperly installed glass previously (with regular silicon). It was horrible. Also, the paint job looked decent (and got away with it in pics because of the light shade it was) but really was in horrible shape. It was sprayed very cheaply and when you looked at it up close, you could see bubbles and waves very clearly.

Also, in all honesty, restoring a car has been a long dream of mine, and getting the 993 was the other half of the dream. So doing a resto project, to a porsche 993 was all the excuse I needed to get started.

The interior is in decent shape, but unfortunately, it has been sprayed also. Also, I am not crazy about the light color. Thinking of going a bit darker, but not sure. Also thinking of going all out and fitting in suede headliner, and dash. Dont really know, that is why I am trying to get help from other members.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
IMHO, I would change it black, or another color, I don't like the white, but in your climate, it might be better. It really looks like it's in great shape! You might want to fix the crocked e-break lever.

If I had the $$ & time, I would get the factory carbon fiber pieces. leather cover everything else, including the steering wheel airbag. I like the OEM headliner, but punched leather might looks sweet!
I agree with you about the light interior. It would look incredible in a darker color. I do have to get the hand brake lever fixed. Didnt notice till you pointed it out.

Not a huge fan of CF to be honest, but leather everything I love. Punched leather headliner or suede headliner would look incredible I think.