993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

Need buying advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
993orbust is infamous around these parts
Need buying advice...

Hello all,

New here... just wanted an opinion from those of you that know. I currently drive an '09 M3 sedan that is my daily car, and I have been wanting a 993 forever... somehow the newer 996's and 997's are not special.

I have 2 cars I'm comparing: a '98 C4S with factory aero kit, mint, with 10K miles for $72K (yikes), or a mint mint (like brand new) '97 straight C2 with 13K miles for a much more reasonable $47K.

Both cars are black/black, and after I personally detail them, either one would pass for new. I'm the kind of guy that a ding would ruin the entire experience, so I need to be looking (and paying) for one of the best examples. Am I paying too much of a premium?

I should note the porsche will NOT be a daily drive, just a toy I have been longing for.

Thanks so much for the help.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Biased here, but you'd probably LOVE a 993. With prices on these cars holding value, if not appreciating, I'd suggest you get the very best car you can afford. A good long term place to "park" your money (pun intended), less likely to have mechanic issues, etc.

But beware... once you go 993... you won't go back. These cars are simply incredible.

PS - Definitely get a PPI before you pull the trigger. And get a car with as complete a documented history from new as possible.

Enjoy the hunt!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
$72K>???

While I love the fact that people will ask that much, it's on the HIGH side, & really you can find a car like that in the $50k's.

I would get a PPI done, super low mile cars can have some issues from not being used. You want a yearly oil change, even with that low miles.

Black on black with aero kit, that is the SEXIEST 993 built!! Yea, I got one.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
$72K>???

While I love the fact that people will ask that much, it's on the HIGH side, & really you can find a car like that in the $50k's.

I would get a PPI done, super low mile cars can have some issues from not being used. You want a yearly oil change, even with that low miles.

Black on black with aero kit, that is the SEXIEST 993 built!! Yea, I got one.
Totally agree with Stealthy. Suspect we're talking about a Sloan car and he tends to charge up in the stratosphere. (Ironically, my 993C4S Aero came from Sloan via an earlier owner. )

To Sloan's point, not that I'm taking it(!), there aren't many C4S cars left with under 10k miles... let alone factory Aeros. If someone wants a museum piece, Sloan *could* make sense. But for most owners, myself included, a car with slightly higher mileage would more than offset the premium.

To the point: Look for a 993 C4S Aero with 35-55k miles in the $50s and you'll be a happy clam. Save the extra $25k premium that Sloan's asking and use it elsewhere

Just my two cents.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Wondering... on a car with 45 or 50k miles, better to fix minor cosmetic scratches or stone chips with an exceptional body shop, or live with them and keep the paint and clear coat completely original?

Some (ALL) of the C2S's and C4S's Sloan had with 25 to 50K miles had minor cosmetic blemishes... things that would drive me crazy. Also, some cars had wheels and brakes that looked NEW, while others looked like they had spent the last 10 years in salt water. He passed it off as age, but 2 cars the same age looked dramatically different... almost as thought the car was beat and cleaned up to "look" well maintained rather than truly being the garage queen he wants customers to think they were.

Some of the interiors on his "summer miles" cars looked like a heard of cattle had run through.... cracked and worn leather, destroyed carpets, cracked dashboards... not at all how they look in the photos on the web.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 PM
goofballdeluxe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 993orbust
Wondering... on a car with 45 or 50k miles, better to fix minor cosmetic scratches or stone chips with an exceptional body shop, or live with them and keep the paint and clear coat completely original?

Some (ALL) of the C2S's and C4S's Sloan had with 25 to 50K miles had minor cosmetic blemishes... things that would drive me crazy. Also, some cars had wheels and brakes that looked NEW, while others looked like they had spent the last 10 years in salt water. He passed it off as age, but 2 cars the same age looked dramatically different... almost as thought the car was beat and cleaned up to "look" well maintained rather than truly being the garage queen he wants customers to think they were.

Some of the interiors on his "summer miles" cars looked like a heard of cattle had run through.... cracked and worn leather, destroyed carpets, cracked dashboards... not at all how they look in the photos on the web.
I think you've answered your question. If a single ding will drive you crazy, then just re-spray the front bumper. Original paint and clear is great if it looks new/almost new, but if it looks dingy, it'll bug you. Just re-spray it. If you take photos and document it, there'll be little or no loss of value to the car.

Also, $72K for a C4S is waaaay high. You can get a pristine 993 Turbo for the same price.

Here's my C4S with 70K miles. You tell me if it looks good or not. You can get one in the same condition as mine for about $40K. And mine is in great condition, inside and out.

Attached Images    
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Your car looks great... exactly what I'm looking for. I want to drive the car too... not 20,00 miles a year, but 10 maybe.

We have some very good high end body shops in the area that do impeccable cosmetic work. Your idea of taking photos of the minor chips or dings is a good one.

If I spend less on the purchase I will have some $$ to tinker with. I have a line on a like new C2 (no S) black/black with 10K. Interior has had seat covers its whole life... seats are Brand new.

I may just go that rout and put the hollow turbo twist 18's on it.... and maybe do red seatbelts and floor mat stitching.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
goofballdeluxe is infamous around these parts
Might I make a suggestion if you're planning on keeping it a while and putting 10K a year on it: don't buy a super low mileage car. You're gonna pay a big premium for low miles, and after a few years, it's not a low mileage car any more and you'll take that hit.

In my opinion, you'd be better off getting a car with higher mileage and all the service records that's been impeccably maintained. That way, you can have a great looking 993 that you can drive without taking the mileage hit. Also, if you find one that's had all the major expenses that these cars need at this age, i.e. new suspension, clutch, top-end rebuild, etc., you'll get a car that'll be bulletproof for years to come, and even better, the previous owner paid for those high-ticket items.

Food for thought, anyway.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't worry about paint work. Any 993 with any kind of miles will have rock chips on the front end, if it's a Aero kit car, even more so. It's just a rock magnet. I had my front bumper redone at 40kmi, got the car with 36kmi. None of them were big chips, just a ton of very small white dots.

The seats will have cracks in them, it's the leather they used. It should be soft & worn looking, but creases are ok.

The clear coat like to come off the brakes, it looks like *** when it does. Most just powder coat or use a single stage paint on them.

I would worry more about the over all condition of the car, then the miles. I've seen some low mile cars that look like 200,000mi cars, & some 100,000mi cars that look like 30kmi cars.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 PM
It all boils down to what you're going to use the car for.

My 993TT is a Sunday driver. A rock chip on her would drive me crazy.

Conversely, my 993C4SAero is a daily driver when there's no salt on the ground. Got it at 36k miles with some road rash on the front and have purposely not fixed it. I think about Ferdinand Porsche who actually liked to see chips on his cars... meant they were being driven (vs. trailer queens).

When my 993C4S starts looking like it has a white nose vs. an ocean blue metallic one, then it'll be time for a respray and a 3M application. Until then, while I'm certainly not looking for chips, I do regard them as a badge of honor. (Or, at least this is what I keep telling myself to reconcile being a perfectionist driving a 993C4S as a daily! )

Go low mileage if you're getting a museum piece. Otherwise, reconcile yourself with (inevitable) chips if you're actually going to drive the car when the roads/weather aren't exactly going to be perfect. There's no feeling like actually driving a 993 like it was meant to be driven. Cheers!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 AM
mpsells is infamous around these parts
did you buy one?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Not yet. Dealing with a bad real estate market here in the North East... sitting on a million dollar spec house for about a year. Beautiful property, on a lake, antique post and beam stone lodge style house just 38 miles from midtown Manhattan.

Here is a link if interested: www.iconbuilding.com

We are offering $100,000 to anyone who puts us in touch with a buyer.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
mpsells is infamous around these parts
Incredible place, sorry about the market. I lived in LA for 15 years and its taking a beating too. Took the money and ran to Dallas 5 years ago and the market here hasn't dropped, we've been lucky...

Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the input. In 30 years Ive never seen the market within 50 miles of NYC take such a hit. The property I posted is really a nice house.... very comfortable. If you happen upon someone, please do pass along the link. The offer is a real one.

Happy new year!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 AM
10ptmust is infamous around these parts
Still Looking?

I concur. Depends on how much you're gonna drive.
And concur that once you drive a 993 you won't want another one.

If you're still looking there are 2 great ones up here that have full histories and good prices. They're both at my friend's place, who is pretty well known up here in the NW. His site is www.cvluxuryluxurycars.com
I drove the arena red last week and it's very nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Need buying advice...