993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

1996 993-- check oil light comes on briefly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
mrtexasfreedom is a jewel in the roughmrtexasfreedom is a jewel in the roughmrtexasfreedom is a jewel in the rough
1996 993-- check oil light comes on briefly

I have a 1996 993 that I've owned since 1998.

Oil is becoming a big issue. I haven't looked closely, but it seems that my valve covers are leaking oil, which is dripping on my exhaust and making a foul odor. I need to replace those gaskets and intend to do so this winter.

The bigger concern, though, is that my check oil light will periodically come on briefly, then shut off. The oil pressure gauge indicates decent pressure at the same time. If I check the level with the dipstick, I have what appears to be enough oil. What else should I be concerned about?

thanks for all advice,

mtf

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you mean the low oil pressure light? When does it go on? Is the engine hot, & @ idle? If so that is ok, you can go to a heavier oil, it should go away.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 PM
mrtexasfreedom is a jewel in the roughmrtexasfreedom is a jewel in the roughmrtexasfreedom is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Do you mean the low oil pressure light? When does it go on? Is the engine hot, & @ idle? If so that is ok, you can go to a heavier oil, it should go away.
It's the only oil light I can see on my tachometer. I'll look into a heavier oil. Any suggestions? Do I have to dump all my existing oil or can I gradually mix it in?

Thanks,

Mtf

Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh, and it does happen when idling at intersections and at lower speeds. Rarely on freeway.

Mtf

Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrtexasfreedom
It's the only oil light I can see on my tachometer. I'll look into a heavier oil. Any suggestions? Do I have to dump all my existing oil or can I gradually mix it in?

Thanks,

Mtf
If you are leaking that much, you need to get it fixed ASAP! You need to change it. The car should have a yearly oil change anyway, so do it then.

Originally Posted by mrtexasfreedom
Oh, and it does happen when idling at intersections and at lower speeds. Rarely on freeway.

Mtf
It should never happen on the freeway! There might be a problem with the pressure spring, I would have a shop look at it.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
If you are leaking that much, you need to get it fixed ASAP! You need to change it. The car should have a yearly oil change anyway, so do it then.

It should never happen on the freeway! There might be a problem with the pressure spring, I would have a shop look at it.

Thank you very much for your advice.

I just had the oil changed less than 1,000 miles and two months ago, so I wasn't planning on another oil change anytime soon.

It's not losing a lot of oil, just a consistent stench when starting from drips onto the exhaust from the valve cover gaskets.

When I say on the freeway, I mean driving at about 20 to 30 miles an hour. I've never seen that light come on at proper cruising speeds.

Really, there's a whole laundry list of things I need to fix on this car, so I should probably bring it into a shop and get the work all done in one swing. I need new shocks, new spark plug wires, and new valve cover gaskets.

thanks,

mtf