996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Reasons to get a 996tt over a 348/355 Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I actually think the porsche is a nicer drive....have tried both.....sorry, on my roads with my butt...I like the rain awd, snow driving and storage.....plus I can afford to keep the porsche mint/fresh/perfect. F car....not likely.

So it is money and even ignoring money, I actually like the P car's drive better.

But, that is just me. Try both. Check you cash flow.....both are not cheap.

JB

Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
I was really close on an F355. Beautiful car, beautiful ride, just great. But I sat and worried about potential service costs and running costs, and besides, my kids fit in the 911.

But seriously, for me it was the service costs and perceived reliability. If money was no object, I still would have gotten the Porsche 'cause that's just how I am, and I've wanted one since i was about 10 years old, but damn, that Ferrari is gorgeous.......

Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 AM
FlyYellow is infamous around these partsFlyYellow is infamous around these parts
the first time it breaks down on you - you'll be thinking i should have bought a reliable car!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 AM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Ferrari 355...irrepressible impact, great looking exotic car
911tt...good looking, versatile, reliable, capable , upgradable supercar.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 AM
flat6 is infamous around these parts
Don't do it....!

I had the same dilema, but I was trying to get rid of my 95 355 Spider. What a POS, it had 12k Miles on it and wow. Looks good, it is a Ferrari but hell no, I would take my E55 or the 911 Turbo anyday.

Hell I would take a 911 Targe, Cabrio, C4, C2, hell anything over that car.

My .02

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
1. Porsche is more reliable
2. Service and parts are less expensive
3. Porsche is newer
4. Porsche can be upgraded to be anything you want
5. Porsche can be used for track events (355 can too but!)
6. Porsche has a great group of guys here on 6speed to hang out with!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 AM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
I have come close several times on a Ferrari but always backed off based on the maintenance. Several friends have them and the maintenance is a major factor in the miles usually being so low - they don't want to drive them much due to the maintenance potential. That said, I will have one in my garage at some point.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
I sold my 348 for the 996TT. There is NO COMPARISON. And the 355 that followed it whilst much better with the power steering, six speed box (or F1 shift) and more benign set up is still miles away from the 996TT. For everyday use there is no comparison.

Looks wise, the 348 and 355 are very, very special, but I wanted something more powerful and practical. I am very happy with the switch. Oh yes, servicing and parts is a major issue- steering rack for USD10k, fuel pump USD3k per piece (there are two in the 348) and the pain goes on....

You need to figure what you want. Looks and sense of occassion- Ferrari 355.

Pure performance, reliability and much more modern feel- 996TT.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM
chinaleeexports is infamous around these partschinaleeexports is infamous around these parts
I have loved all of my Porsches..but was always passionate about my Ferrari's (except the 308GT4!) If you have the money and don't drive too many miles consider the 355 (if it checks out.) I agree with all of the above comments. I picked the TT for many of the reasons stated above. Although if I run into some disposable income, I would consider a used 360....but it would have to be disposable income.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Buy the Porsche if you want to drive the car and actually use it. Buy the Ferrari if you want to say "you have a Ferrari" in you're garage, but accept the fact that it will spend a considerably larger amount of time in the dealer's garage.

Don't get me wrong, the F355 is a gorgeous machine, and one I would love to own, but if it was an either/or situation, the 996TT wins hand over fist.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 AM
GL996TT is infamous around these parts
F355 really holds the resale value.

Friend of mine bought a 1997 F355 Spyder 8 month ago with 16Kmiles, Red/Tan, 30K miles service done, so-so condition for $64K plus shipping. He spent couple thousand dollars to repaint the front bumper and minor touch up. He sold the car 2 month ago for $74K to a dealer. He end up to making $4K profit.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Can actually drive the Porsche without having to worry about it as much as a Ferrari.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
dice996c4 is infamous around these parts
Do it... Think about the expenses later...

I was in the same boat... I sold my Techart 996TT and got a 95 F355.. Slower than turbo.. but hey, you are now driving a lesser common car... I guess, you gotta pay to play...

Old 10-02-2007, 12:19 PM
mtalx is infamous around these parts
TT all of the way and don't look back.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 PM
RT7
Show-N-Go like J-Lo Mofo
RT7 is infamous around these parts
It all depends on what you want to get out of the car. Power, reliability, less-attention, daily-driver then you want to stick with Porsche. If you're looking for sound, more exotic, lots of attention then you want to get a Ferrari (355/360 at least).

In my experience, owning the Porsche has cost more than the Ferrari. Just make sure you get a well sorted car, otherwise, either marque will cost you a lot of $$$ at the end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reasons to get a 996tt over a 348/355 Ferrari?