996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Strut braces do they really help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Strut braces do they really help?

Curious if front and/or rear strut braces really help or is it just a waste of money?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 AM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
Very Good Question, I too would like to know what the smarties say about these braces.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Buddy thanks for asking, I am wondering myself.

MK

Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
In any earlier Porsches with lots of wide open space between the
shock towers, they can help, but please look at all the bulkhead
metal that already exists between the shock towers in the 996.
There is no way some silly thin rod mounted with flexible endpoints
is going to contribute any appreciable stiffness. In my opinion, they
would be nothing but wasted, added weight, poser bling.
Joe

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 10-02-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Thanks Joe I was hoping you would chime in!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
I've never even seen any advertised. Who makes them?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I think Joe is exactly right...in my old sc cab it really made a difference. I had my new cab at the track w/ a pro driver...he actually said the stiffness of the frame as is is perfect. He suggested not doing anything...braces or sways.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The car already has them from the factory, they are just hidden behind the plastic. The Cup cars use the very same factory part, no need for a strut brace on any 996 or 997. Anybody trying to sell them is just that, trying to sell you something that you don't need.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Yeah - I agree with Joe. In general they are just for pretty looks (IMHO). Most of the car shows I went to way back in my young days, the strut braces were even bolted onto the show cars, just placed on there then removed when the show was over.

I think the better way to go would be an X-Brace. I had one on my S2000 and it really did make a difference. I'm wondering if they make one for the 996.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Forgot to mention that X-Braces basically create support by bolting around the box cavity that the engine goes into. It's like having 4 sides of a box with a bottom - it creates a stiffer structure.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Even the cup cars don't have them.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned
my guess is the engine bay structure of the 996/997s are stiff enough not to need an x-brace?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Buddy,

From what I understand, they offer very little to nothing in added strenth or rigidity......now a 4pt roll bar.......THAT I have heard.......makes a noticeable difference on 996's......if you are gonna track your beast a couple of times a year....would not be a bad idea to install one.

Chris

Old 10-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
From a far away land, a wizard known as "Sharky" has decreed long ago that the front strut braces would be an excellent mounting points for the Moton nitrogen canisters ... otherwise, pretty useless ....

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Pull the plastic that covers the tops of the struts and you will see the factory bracing already there. Useless for sure..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Strut braces do they really help?