996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Choices - Beating a dead horse!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Very difficult to define best but...

I really like my Mich PS2 once they were broken in.
I did Road America on them, Brainerd on them and the Texas Mile on them.
They even work in the rain. They are a ALL-AROUND good performer.

Good luck,

MK

Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
But Wood...don't the PS2's spin w/ your power level? I had problems w/ mine under 80 mph...I switched to Nitto 01's (an R compound) and they hook from a 40 punch. The PS2's are also WAY overpriced.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Give me a call if I can help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
RA-1's are R compound race tires. Wont put on a daily driver.
If that is what you want go with Nittos

the nitto and the toyo are the same tire (same parent company, same compounds, etc)

The RA-1 is commonly used as an everyday tire for many people

Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
+1. Even though they are sister companies, the Nitto NT-01's are a better r-compound than the Toyo RA-1's.

the NT-01 is the same compound as the R888...just FYI

Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Ps2................

Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Dr. Jits,

Maybe a GT2 street racer tire and a 996TT all around tire is different goals?

PS2's just work so damn well for my car and my needs. This is the tire that was used
for the winning car 2 or 3 years running in the One Lap of America.

MK

Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
the NT-01 is the same compound as the R888...just FYI
Can't speak as to beiing same compound or not, but I have been advised not to run the tripple 8 as a street tire. Tech guy told me they are extremely noisy. The tread pattern is considerably different from the Nitto's.

I am currently running NT-01 as my street/track tire and the noise level isn't bad. I like them quite well. They squeal before they let go and that's good for an inexperienced driver like me. Read on another forum where a guy got caught in a heavy downpour with the NT-01's and fared well. That gives me some comfort as I have never, and hope to never try them in the rain.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Dr. Jits,

...PS2's just work so damn well for my car and my needs. This is the tire that was used
for the winning car 2 or 3 years running in the One Lap of America.

MK
Are you suggesting the PS2's are a better performing tire than a set of 245's and 335's RA1's on our cars? An buy performing, I mean a timed event, not driving to the grocery store in a snow storm.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Can't speak as to beiing same compound or not, but I have been advised not to run the tripple 8 as a street tire. Tech guy told me they are extremely noisy. The tread pattern is considerably different from the Nitto's.

I am currently running NT-01 as my street/track tire and the noise level isn't bad. I like them quite well. They squeal before they let go and that's good for an inexperienced driver like me. Read on another forum where a guy got caught in a heavy downpour with the NT-01's and fared well. That gives me some comfort as I have never, and hope to never try them in the rain.

Yes, the R888 are loud (not obnoxious, but louder then most tires...think swamper ) This is yet one of the various reasons the RA1 won't go away soon.

But yes, the compound is identical

Another good thing is the Nitto's are cheaper

Old 10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
I run the Yoko Advan's and really like them. They aren't noisy (I've had a few tires that were) and they are nice and sticky for a road tire (UTQG Rating 180) but can also be used for occasional track time. Also, I've noticed that if you run a lot of negative camber, they don't tend to follow the road as much as my PS2's did.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
On Mike and Sharkey's suggestion, I just bought the 335 and 245 RA1's that will go on my GT2 wheels...had PS2's before so I am sure they will stick better.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wross996TT
What sizes are you looking for? I would suggest looking at Yokos (Meovas or Advan Sports). They are better than PS2s IMO.
I've just put on Advan's after using Pirelli's and they are great.

Pirelli P Zero Nero's were also quite good...but Advans seem to handle as well if not better and are quieter and more comfortable...and that is comparing Advan on 19' wheels to pirelli's on 18's !

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
The Nitto 01's are a completely new design from the 888's...I got this straight from the Nitto rep. Many of the guys here in Houston used to run the 888's and will tell you the 01's are definately superior. As for their rain performance:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=100033

Wood my man, I had the PS2's....just give the Nittos a try and you won't go back....just stay out of the rain.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Hi Dr jitsu,
I read your thread about the 360's a few days ago. I think your experience would have been different, read safer, had you slowed at the first sign of rain. You said it yourself.
If I come upon any rain with mine, I don't plan to continue at 70+ MPH. As you, I do really like the tires.

Had some RA-1's (245/335) ordered to come with the new CCW wheels, but today I decided against it since the season is almost over. Wheels and tires were supposed to have been here 2 high-speed events ago, but a broken lathe delayed production.

I may find something over the winter that will suit me better, or may just get another set of the NT-01's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Choices - Beating a dead horse!!