996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Choices - Beating a dead horse!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
FYI anybody looking for what I found to be the best price on RA1's.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/toyo/toyo.html

Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The Nitto 01's are a completely new design from the 888's...I got this straight from the Nitto rep. Many of the guys here in Houston used to run the 888's and will tell you the 01's are definately superior. As for their rain performance:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=100033

Wood my man, I had the PS2's....just give the Nittos a try and you won't go back....just stay out of the rain.

The tread design is different...the compound is identical (I use to work for Toyo)

BTW, time tests have shown the R888 is superior in the dry. The good think about the NT01 is they are cheaper and easier to find, and aren't as loud. But if you are looking for something for track only...i'd say the R888 over the Nt01 any day of the week.

Nitto and Toyo share many of the same compounds. The main difference is that Nitto's tread designs are typically designed by a design school and then they make the tread pattern work. As for toyo...it's all engineered by tire engineers from the start.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 10-11-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
FYI anybody looking for what I found to be the best price on RA1's.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/toyo/toyo.html

edgeracing.com is also a great source

Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Hot Rod Guy: Which tire do you consider to be better, the Toyo RA-1 or the Nitto O1?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Hot Rod Guy: Which tire do you consider to be better, the Toyo RA-1 or the Nitto O1?

the tires are very different, compounds are different etc. If it was MY choice, and the tire was going to go double duty...i'd take the RA-1 (unshaved RA-1's have proven to be very good r compound wet/dry tires). Track only, probably the 01.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Interesting....so, do the RA1's come w/ more tread depth? I use my Nitto's 90% on the tsreet and would like to get more wear. Also, while I try and avoid the rain here in Houston it can pour out of nowhere.

Maybe I should get the RA1's.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Full depth is 8/32, I think the 01's are 6/32 or 5/32, they all have the same wear rating of 100...which means they will last a week or two on my car

Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I spent hours reading dozens of reviews and threads on forums about the NT-01's and RA-1's. The overwhelming majority of people that had owned and run both preferred the NT-01's over the RA-1's...both on the track and on the street.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-12-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Scott,

Thats what all my colleagues here in Houston say...Nitto's...however, Hot Rod Guy has always been very knowledgeable...and I do like the added tread depth for street use.

Noenetheless, I will most likely stay w/ the Nitto's.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Nobody has chimed in regarding the kuhmos. I never thought about putting them on my turbo until i just read some reviews about them, which were very good. What are you thoughts on these for use as street tires (no track time)? They are also much cheaper than the rest.
jb
2003 996tt stage 1
2004 x5

Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Interesting....so, do the RA1's come w/ more tread depth? I use my Nitto's 90% on the tsreet and would like to get more wear. Also, while I try and avoid the rain here in Houston it can pour out of nowhere.

Maybe I should get the RA1's.

you can't ride around on r-compounds hoping to get more wear out of them That said, i've talked to a few guys who ran RA-1's on double duty and would get 8-10K out of them. Not saying you'd get the same though

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I spent hours reading dozens of reviews and threads on forums about the NT-01's and RA-1's. The overwhelming majority of people that had owned and run both preferred the NT-01's over the RA-1's...both on the track and on the street.

When it comes down to it, you can't go wrong w/ either

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I am looking at 3-4K on my Nittos....6 K would be fantastic.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
What is the difference between N compound and R compound? The Porsche dealership and the local performance tire shop say you shouldn't be using anything but N compound tires if you are using the turbo for mainly street driving.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I hope the P-Zero tires you buy are better than the P-Zeros I just took off my car. They had plenty of tread left {9,000 miles total} but they wouldn't balance and were noisy as hell. The tire place told me Pirelli's have a belt shift problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Choices - Beating a dead horse!!