996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

NEW LAW IN TORONTO 50kms/31MPH over the speed limit..YOUR CAR IS GONE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Cedric is infamous around these parts
Good luck Ontarioans.

I'd sell my Porsche today and get a Prius if i was you.

Can you imagine Jamie getting his Carrera GT taken away for good?

Fight that law!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
can you imagine some donut eating loser taking what you work so hard to get away and have the stupid smurk on his face.... UGHHHHH.... its like the kid in school that always got picked on is getting his revenge ...... and what is sooooo bothersome abvout it is that you come across anyone...anyone on the street and ask them to give you their opinion and they like the law coz the "media" has painted a pretty picture that its for the "street racers"..... And forget to focus on the right things...

Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 PM
DAM
DAM is infamous around these parts
I agree. I am also fuming about this law, I didn't know you couldn't appeal though, that is rediculous. How to change it though? Thankfully my daily driver isn't anything insane so I am not missing a lot. My suggestion, get a Beltronics STI-Driver (and there goes $500), it is your best defence, but it won't do anything if they are unleashing choppers and planes. Choose when you are going to speed and where you are going to speed wisely. What you said about it being a pissing contest is absolutly true, I have never seen so many speed traps in my life. Cops shouldn't have this much power. I figured Ontarians would have gotten over this moral panic by now. I thought it would fizzle away after they took a bunch of street racers' cars. The unfortunate parts is that the vast majority support this law, speed = danger for them because they don't know how to drive and they associate speeding with crapped out hondas.

2 months ago Jim Kenzie published in the Toronto Star that the average left lane speed on the 407 was 150km/h, now it is illegal

Old 10-12-2007, 07:47 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
start getting signatures to petition i guess , gather all the car guys in ontario nad have a demonstration.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
I would love to know what to do.... I am sooo terribly busy working that I have a hard time getting to the municipal govt or who ever for that matter to find out if a petition...or gathering cars and parking them downtown protesting or what ever means to get this overturned..... ITS CRAZY how a cop can do so much harm... speed traps and overflow of cops on streets not looking for TRUE criminals.... but guys in nice cars barely getting close to the limits even set forth....especially on deserted roadways.... OMG..what is the freakign province turning into?? come on for petes sake.... ??? ON A country road cars are getting towed away.......
homicides
murders
assaults
car jackings
robberys
heists
whatever
BUT speeders or stunt driving as they call it.... has more officers enforcing than the rest....the media is on this like white on bread.... lol.....
IM ASHAMED TO LIVE HERE..... id love to see waht is going to happen next summer with visitors and tourism.... I hope this flops in their face....

Last edited by DMaffo; 10-12-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
When US had the 55 mph law, some guy started a repeal the 55 law organization. He collected dues, hired lobbyists, etc. If you want this changed you need to repeal the law. This is done by organizing voters and then putting pressure on elected officials. Good luck, that is the worst. Makes photo-red-light-tickets sound like nothing.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
mr.rhtuner is infamous around these parts
Yea here in Ontario it's pretty harsh....giving the police too much power to conclude who is 'street racing' or 'stunt driving'

complete bs.

There are more deaths a year from drunk driving then street racing...but they try to fix the street racing problem?

while drivers that drink and drive still get their car?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
We have the best defense. I thought it said 80 MPH... sir (Not KM)

As to what we can do? Start looking at seized auto auctions.

Originally Posted by Shawn C
What about U.S. visitors?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned
MBRP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mr.rhtuner
Yea here in Ontario it's pretty harsh....giving the police too much power to conclude who is 'street racing' or 'stunt driving'

complete bs.

There are more deaths a year from drunk driving then street racing...but they try to fix the street racing problem?

while drivers that drink and drive still get their car?
This law sucks to say the least. DUI's still keep their cars but they also keep driving with no license. No different than the many people who are driving with no insurance.

The law enforment could and should be clamping odwn on "steeet racing" DUI and no ins. Speeding is not street racing.

I speed regularly, if caught I pay the price ( been there done that) but lets make it resonable.

Someone mentioned the 407 I drive it often. the first persone to take the left lane to pass anyone is now a candidate to losing their car for sure.

Lets do something about it.

MB

Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 AM
im in on this.... I just need a little direction... You are absolutely right about being candidates for losing your car if you even dare to pass now... especially in trophy cars like ours....

Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
D dublinoh said it right , thats the right way to do this.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned
MBRP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by unvmym3
D dublinoh said it right , thats the right way to do this.
Your right. Problem is when issues like this come along nobody has the time to head something up like this.
Any takers on this forum that would head up and all out assault on the Govt re this new law?

MB

Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM
it will be hard no doubt , but u got to start somehwere , start making calls to ur local representatives, etc etc ..

Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/parking

any municipal web site has this on it!! you can report dangerous drivers.... See this!! you dont ahve to be pulled over by police... You get "citizens" to report you and you get a visit from OPP...

Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Official Dipshit 2006
shiggins is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
the catch is that you can get convicted of "street racing" when your by yourself.
Umm, no, no you can't.

Misinformation and assumption is running rampant in this thread.

You get your liscence suspended and car impounded (not taken for good) for 50 km/h over the speed limit. Frankly, you should. Who needs to drive 50 km/h over the speed limit on public roads?

As well, street racing is only one part of the safer roads act. The media has brushed the whole act with the phrase because it sells newspapers. You can't be convicted of street racing by yourself. They'll charge you with dangerous driving, or something of the sort.

I'm as much of a car enthusiast as the next guy, and I love spirited driving. I take my cars to the tracks in Ontario often. However, the roads are getting ridiculous. People are driving more aggressively than ever, IMO, and it's scary at times. They need to do something until they can get to the cause of the issue, which is poor driver training.

I don't know anyone that has a problem with impounding a drunk drivers car, so I don't know why they have a problem with impounding an over-confident and under-competent drivers car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NEW LAW IN TORONTO 50kms/31MPH over the speed limit..YOUR CAR IS GONE!