996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

NEW LAW IN TORONTO 50kms/31MPH over the speed limit..YOUR CAR IS GONE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 PM
FredS4 is infamous around these parts
I don't even live there and I'm pretty mad about all this. I hope they won't do the same in Quebec. 10 000$ is too much money for 95% of the population. People will just try to run away from cops a lot more, do illegal stuff to try to pay the fees. If it would happen to me, I would be so %"/"%"/ pissed off I would probably go live somewhere else. I don't think the argument of "you should go on the track to speed" is good. I'm not saying it's good to speed like a madman in traffic, but there are many opportunities to speed on public roads without being a danger for the others

Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Craddosk is infamous around these parts
As I've read many a time, if you can't afford the ticket, don't speed.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Official Dipshit 2006
shiggins is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DMaffo
how hard is it to go 31 MPH over the speed limit... in our cars??? Can something be done???
I just read this line from the OP, and frankly this is laughable. As if having the means to buy a sports car makes you A) a competent driver and b) a soothsayer.

We have speed limits not because cars aren't capable of going faster, lord knows mine beg to, but because the operators generally aren't.

Unless you can predict when someone drops their cellphone and reefs on the steering wheel while looking for it, or a truck throws re-tread all over the higway, or a deer runs onto the road, or a bee flies in your window and eats your face, you can't just drive around as fast as you please.

We have speed limits to protect us from the unpredictable. Those that feel they're somehow above them, or can defy physics in an emergency, lack an understanding of the big picture.

Bottom line: You don't want your car impounded, don't drive like an *******.

It also amuses me how the OP claims the police to be judge, jury and executioner, but fails to ***** about drunk driving laws which give the police the same rights.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:02 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
You say this all coz it wasnt your door that got knocked on by OPP at 945 pm over some person that took it upon themselves to call OPP and say that I was "racing" a civc of all cars on the 400.... I got into a heated argument the next day with officer as I was not home that day. And he already tried framing me saying what was i thinking racing a civic and I said if i was racing a civic he would not be next to my car.... think about it logically... DO YOU REALLY think if i was racing anyone ...they would have nabbed my plate???? how can you prove i was there... how can you prove it was me driving... how can you prove it actually happened?? what if someone spitefully wants to harm you me anyone??? how would this hold in court.... and I WAS still at borderline gettting a full fledge investigation according to the officer.... THAT IS THE PROBLEM.... I cont to say.... I dont have a problem with getting a ticket for driving fast or for lifting my front tire on bike to wheelie etc etc.... BUT get my car taken away without being represented in court.... If you driving like a maniac in and out of traffic on a crowded roadway... its WRONG and dangerous and you really dont deserve to have your lic...... but you still have the right to go to court....well no more ... you are found guilty on the spot...and although you may get your car back in a week...MAYBE.... then you still have to deal with teh insurance renewall problem... and then all the fines and tickets they hit you with..... A COP CANNOT BE JUDGE AND JURY...plus its sickening that they are using the media to paint a picture that is terribly wrong... but then again....whats new about that???

Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Craddosk is infamous around these parts
I would like to ask where this continuous lack of an ability to appeal is? As with drunk driving laws, your license is suspended, and your vehicle is towed. However, you are not fully convicted. You can still appeal the DUI ticket in court, as with any other ticket.

As demonstrated by this article:
http://ca.pfinance.yahoo.com/ca_fina...emely-cost-you
you are treated very similar to a drunk driver. You are also given a ticket for $2000 to $10 000 dollars. If you feel the need to fight the ticket, then you can, and possible avert the fines, the points and the insurance hikes.

However, to claim that it shouldn't be allowed because Porsche is easy to take up above 50km/h past any speed limit in Canada (or the United States) is baloney. My 2002 Ford Taurus is able to cruise all day at 150km/h (95mph ish), and is able to get there in under a minute. Does that mean that it is safe for me to do so? No. Does it mean that I have the driving skill to go at that speed in any vehicle? No.

Furthermore, even if the driver has the training to be driving well in excess of speed limits, what is to say that the individuals driving around him know how to react when a vehicle blows by them at a high rate of speed?

I do not agree with the Ontario law in terms of classifying excessive speeding as being similar to street racing, however, going 50km/h (31mph) over the speed limit in most situations is dangerous. I have done it, and realize that if I am caught, I will accept the consequences. But to claim that the law is unjust simply because it is easy for your vehicle to go well beyond posted speed limits is absurd.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I would rather take my chances and get a good radar detector "One that is undetectable" Much better to get a fine for that than get your ride taken away.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craddosk
As I've read many a time, if you can't afford the ticket, don't speed.
WOW your a genious ! did u think of that all ur self ?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
I just hope people who think a car should be impounded and 2K -10K in fines for going 31 mph over stay in Canada and keep their ideas up there with them! We have enough baby sitters down here.

Last edited by JWC; 10-14-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JWC
I just hope people who think a car should be impounded and 2K -10K in fines for going 31 mph over stay in Canada and keep their ideas up there with them! We have enough baby sitters down here.
I agree 100%

Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 AM
redbone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DMaffo
YOU CANNOT APPEAL THIS>>>... YOU are tried and convicted BY THE COP!!! HE IS JUDGE AND JURY... PROSECUTER!!! WTF!!!!!!!!
God bless America!

Could be worse. In Virginia you can go to jail for 20mph over the limit. And for 31mph over the limit, you most likely will go to jail.
They have also added a whole scale of "civil fees" that cannot be appealed, or suspended/reduced even by the judge. The civil fee for "reckless driving" (20+ mph over the limit) is $1,050, and that's in addition to whatever fines and court costs they throw at you to begin with.

...They probably won't take your car, though

Last edited by redbone; 10-15-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I COULD GO DOWN THERE ID BE THERE!!!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM
trafficlaw is infamous around these parts
Traffic Tickets Mississauga Careless Driving

It has been several years now since the new `Stunt Driving` law been implemented. We have noticed a slight reduction in such enforcement but the risk of losing your car if speed over 50 kmhr is still very real.

Best way is to speak with traffic tickets professionals.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Sam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura about
This really sucks! BOOOOHOOO. If anything, they should increase the limit to 140 or 160km/h. Cars are much safer and more stable than 40 years ago when these limits were set. But I guess it's really just another income for the government and insurance companies. Lucky Germans and their autobahns..

Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
shigginns so whats a ******* ? wanna be sure not to drive that way on way outa of Toronto guess i might be speeding just to get outta there